FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:14 am

ALS DEMO Bob Carver James Sauter Bob Farinelli Les Williams

<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Re: ALS 6 Hour Count Down to Demo

kingman wrote:I know James...he will NOT disappoint Bob....

Then he better have not forgot to buy some Diet Coke!!! Everything else will fall into place "BUT" no Diet Coke around and the deals off :x

Here's one for the Bob Father [-o< [-o< [-o<
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:59 am

Countdown is over.

So, do we have speakers yet? :-s
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am

Re: ALS 53 Hour Count Down to Demo

Well, Bob Missed his flight yesterday... He thought he had to be at the airport at 5 for his flight at 7..... He got there at 5PM, he was suppose to be there at 5 AM.... ](*,)
His new ETA is 6PM on Tuesday.

That said, we finished machining the last speaker, packed everything up to go home, took the tools, wiring stuff, and everything else that we would need to do the speakers at home, and we took our asses to bed.....
We worked for 24 hours with only a 1 hour power nap in those 24 hours... Needless to say, we were EXHAUSTED....

treitz3 wrote:So, do we have speakers yet? :-s

Dad says, that by the end of the day he plans on having a complete working set of speakers! We received the wiring diagram for the subs late last night so we can get started!!

Here is the other video I said I would upload:

RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Modified CarverFest 2011 20w tube amplifier
Carver Pro PT-1800
Sunfire Prototype TGA-2375
Carver TX-2 Tuner (not used)
Logitech Squeezebox (replaced Tuner & dad's CD player)
CARVERaudio Directional RCA interconnects
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:11 am

Killer!
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:17 am

Are there woofers on both sides? WOW Thanks for sharing.

Great job. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Alex, that's the fastest I have seen you move. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:19 am

Devil Spawn wrote:Well, Bob Missed his flight yesterday... He thought he had to be at the airport at 5 for his flight at 7..... He got there at 5 PM, he was suppose to be there at 5 AM....
Damn, Bob. The man's a genius......just can't quite grasp the simple stuff. #-o

Get some sleep fellas, nice work!
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:02 am

That was cool to watch.

So what's the final decision on the paint job? Also, what are your plans for power to drive these puppies for the demo?

Alex, do you realize how lucky and fortunate you are?
Carverfest 2010 quote...I can't explain it right now, I'm drunk...

GO BUCKEYES
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:37 am

engtaz wrote:Are there woofers on both sides? WOW Thanks for sharing.

Great job. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Alex, that's the fastest I have seen you move. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes Roy, there are 11 speakers on each side of the speaker, for a total of 22 staggered woofers.

I agree with u, that was the fastest I ever seen myself move too. :lol: I just wish the machine moved that fast.... It takes 45 minutes to machine both sides of the speaker. Then another 30 minutes to drill and tap 122 holes per speaker...

bsturgeon89 wrote:That was cool to watch.

So what's the final decision on the paint job? Also, what are your plans for power to drive these puppies for the demo?

Alex, do you realize how lucky and fortunate you are?

The demo set for Bob to tweak are going to be raw aluminum, we have not finalized the paint job with Bob yet, but he seems very set on long brushed aluminum that is anodized clear. We however machined a 2nd set of speakers through the night and plan on having them powder coated. The color is secret, you will have to be at CarverFest to see it! Sorry... ;-)

For starters, Bob wants to run the speakers off of his Prototype CF2011 Tube Amp, but as back up, we have a few Lightstars, a set of Silver Sevens, and a few Pro amps.

I feel very lucky to be able to sit down next to Bob, offer him a Diet Coke, and take notes on EVERY little word that comes out of his mouth. You have no idea how excited I am!!!!! :D :D

I will get photos up ASAP of the completed speakers.
RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Carver Pro PT-1800
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:04 pm

AlexSauter wrote:
The demo set for Bob to tweak are going to be raw aluminum, we have not finalized the paint job with Bob yet, but he seems very set on long brushed aluminum that is anodized clear. We however machined a 2nd set of speakers through the night and plan on having them powder coated. The color is secret, you will have to be at CarverFest to see it! Sorry... ;-)

For starters, Bob wants to run the speakers off of his Prototype CF2011 Tube Amp, but as back up, we have a few Lightstars, a set of Silver Sevens, and a few Pro amps.

I feel very lucky to be able to sit down next to Bob, offer him a Diet Coke, and take notes on EVERY little word that comes out of his mouth. You have no idea how excited I am!!!!! :D :D

I will get photos up ASAP of the completed speakers.

Would sure look sharp if they were to match the CF2011 amps! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:47 pm

Yes, I wish I was down there with you guys. Works got me very busy. That is going to be 22 very tight fitting woofers. The clearances are very small.

Get some rest before Bobfather gets there.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

WhackJob

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:52 pm

@ them cool Sauter fellers:

How does that CNC router stand up to cutting aluminum? I just looked at this and the related threads, and as a life long machinist I had to ask.
My (limited) understanding was those routers were meant for MDF - cabinet work. Now I fully get the impressive X & Y range on one of those units being oh so very handy - but cutting metal? Do you have to limit the travel speeds?
Sorry if I am off topic - it just caught my attention!
I would have loved to be able to attend the Carverfest - maybe next year?

And when can I sell a kidney to buy a set of those speakers? :D
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:24 pm

WhackJob wrote:

=D> =D> =D> =D>
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:27 pm

AlexSauter wrote:

Now that's the real music to Bob's ears!!! =D> =D> =D>
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:42 pm

WhackJob wrote:@ them cool Sauter fellers:

How does that CNC router stand up to cutting aluminum? I just looked at this and the related threads, and as a life long machinist I had to ask.
My (limited) understanding was those routers were meant for MDF - cabinet work. Now I fully get the impressive X & Y range on one of those units being oh so very handy - but cutting metal? Do you have to limit the travel speeds?

I am sure it will degrade spindle life....but I do not think he is taking heavy D.O.C. / high feed rates. I would be running 40 IPM on the Mazaks I used to own. :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:18 pm

WhackJob wrote:@ them cool Sauter fellers:

We have 2 Router tables, usually we use one for metal and one for wood, but the metal Router is covered in a 4'x8'x0.75" sheet of Aluminum that weighs over 400 lbs... In order to cut metals (usually) you have to use some kind of coolants, we use a very thin grade of oil specially made for cutting aluminum and other non-ferrous metals to slow the rate of the router bits wearing out.

For the speakers we had to go EXTRA slow because we did not use any coolants, usually we can cut .09" material rather quickly on the metal router. When we cut metals we usually don't push the router tables over 33% speed, and for the speakers we had to go about 12% due to no coolants... We are MAYBE going 10 inches a minute....

We will be bringing a set of these ALS speakers, the CarverFest 2011 Kit Tube Amps, and the door prizes to CarverFest this year, we have no idea what we are bringing next year, but my father has been in a "less stuff next year" kind of mood and it has been getting worse each year.

As far as the kidney selling, I am sure you can check a black market near you for quotes. :lol: :lol:
We have no idea of when they will be ready for sale, that is in Bob's hands, if I am not mistaken, he wants to have them reviewed by someone from some magazine first.... (I could be wrong)
RIP BillD

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
PreviousNext

Return to Introducing the NEW 2012 "ALS"