FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:38 pm

New member has problem with single al-III speaker

<<

utmo

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:22 pm

New member has problem with single al-III speaker

Hello all, new member here. Recently purchased a pair of oak al-iii after a long time looking. After a very long wait I found some and they worked well for about 3 months. Then all of a sudden I realized that one side would play much much lower than the other. I tried changing the amp connections, the wiring and settings on the back on the speakers but to no avail.
The speaker plays music, albeit at a very low level, and I want to see how to fix this.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: New member has problem with single al-III speaker

Sounds like your ribbon quit working, put your ear right to the ribbon and see if there is sound comming from it. Or just call me 315 893 7838, but do it in the next 2 days because I`M GOING TO CARVERFEST `09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by DaveS on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:19 pm

DaveS wrote:Sounds like your ribbon quit working, put your ear right to the ribbon and see if there is sound comming from it.

Dave is the man on this , Dave could be maybe the cross over since there is sound coming from it ?
<<

csh72

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:22 am

Someone on the forum has mentioned when their pots on a speaker went bad it was 6db lower than the other.If nothing is coming out of the ribbon check speaker connections,gold-plated binding post connectors,and even the fuse.Good luck.
<<

utmo

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:07 pm

There is sound coming from it, albeit at a very low level. It increases if I increase the overall volume but it is significantly lower than the other speaker.
I have checked the fuses and speaker wire connections. I opened up the back of the speaker to look/smell for anything burned but saw nothing.
I read the other members post about a similar problem but it was a different speaker type and I dont know where I should check resistance or what values to look for.
Thanks
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:53 pm

Do this at lower volumes with a lower amount of bass to test it...

BYPASS the crossover. Connect the speaker wires directly to the leads at the bottom of the ribbon. This will tell you if it's the ribbon or not.
If it plays at louder volumes, you will know the ribbon is working fine, and its probably a crossover problem.
If you still get very low volumes from the ribbon by itself, you will know the problem IS the ribbon.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

utmo

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:22 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Do this at lower volumes with a lower amount of bass to test it...

BYPASS the crossover. Connect the speaker wires directly to the leads at the bottom of the ribbon. This will tell you if it's the ribbon or not.
If it plays at louder volumes, you will know the ribbon is working fine, and its probably a crossover problem.
If you still get very low volumes from the ribbon by itself, you will know the problem IS the ribbon.

thanks for the suggestion. I tried connecting it directly and still got the low volumes... what is next?
<<

madmike46

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:35 pm

DaveS wrote:Sounds like your ribbon quit working, put your ear right to the ribbon and see if there is sound comming from it. Or just call me 315 893 7838, but do it in the next 2 days because I`M GOING TO CARVERFEST `09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I would call DaveS, I hear he is an expert in ribbons.
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:12 am

utmo wrote:
Toy Maker wrote:Do this at lower volumes with a lower amount of bass to test it...

thanks for the suggestion. I tried connecting it directly and still got the low volumes... what is next?

WHERE ARE YOU ! If you are close to NC you may want to take a ride to CF9 and get it fixed! Ribbons do not ship very well and can get damaged in shipping if they are not packed very well! I would tell you to go out and buy a gun case the ones that are plastic and have the foam insides put into the case and have that case boxed and layered with extra padding !!!!!! Then ask Dave where to ship it! Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

utmo

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:43 am

unfortunately i am nowhere near NC. im in texas, san antonio.
i guess i need to get a hold of dave and see how to purchase a new ribbon then because it seems that my ribbon is gone :(
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:36 pm

You can bet on it. I had the same problem with one of mine. Call Dave. I did.
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:38 am

utmo wrote:unfortunately i am nowhere near NC. im in texas, san antonio.
i guess i need to get a hold of dave and see how to purchase a new ribbon then because it seems that my ribbon is gone :(

You may be able to get your existing ribbon repaired, instead of buying a new one - see what DaveS says...
<<

utmo

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:22 pm

I know its been forever since I wrote back on here but school got kinda crazy. Anyways, I wanted to see if it was still ok to call you at that number Dave because its been busy and acting funny all day?

Return to Carver Speakers