FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:31 am

Amazing Ribbon Kapton material

<<

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:27 pm

Amazing Ribbon Kapton material

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I just purchased a set of Carver Amazing Loudspeakers, originals and found this forum while trying to find information on fixing them. I remember the first time I heard these speakers, I used to drive for two hours to get to St Louis just to run the stereo shops in the late 80’s and drool on the gear. I always wanted a pair of these speakers but never had the chance until now. The pair needs some TLC and one of the ribbons is bad. I have done a little research and I have found out that the company that made the material for the ribbons is still in business and you can purchase the kapton material from them to rebuild the ribbons. What I don’t know is the name of the company and how to contact them. I was hoping someone on the forum wound know this. I want to try rebuilding them myself so I am also looking for anyone who has some 30” ribbons that they no longer need due to an upgrade and would like to sell them.(got to have something to practice on) Any information on how to rebuild them would be great! I may even remake the cabinets. I do a lot of custom woodworking and am in the process of building every piece of furniture in my house out of quarter sawn white oak in mission style so I could make new cabinets out of solid quarter sawn oak. If I get that far I will post a picture.

Thanks!
Glass.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Amazing Ribbon Kapton material

It would be easier and cheaper for you to have Dave S. rebuild your ribbon.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:29 pm

Breaking Glass wrote: The pair needs some TLC and one of the ribbons is bad. I have done a little research and I have found out that the company that made the material for the ribbons is still in business and you can purchase the kapton material from them to rebuild the ribbons.
If you do purchase the ribbon material from that company, it will be in the multiple thousands as you have to purchase a minimum quantity. The minimum quantity is quite substantial to say the least.

As F1nut has said, it would be cheaper to have Dave repair the ribbons. Not to mention, the job would be done right the first time. So, unless you want to spend the amount that you would spend on a new car, go with Dave.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:26 am

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:04 am

Talk to DaveS.
He's a great guy. I rebuilt one of my 60" with his material and guidance.
<<

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi all, normally I would say you are right just have the Dave fix it and be done with it. But I kind of like doing stuff myself and it’s a challenge. The other reason is I have really caught the bug for these speakers. So I have one pair now in my two channel system but I am finishing in a home theater in my basement and I am hooked so I need a pair for the front and rear, and then I plan to make a custom center channel, ribbon in the middle flaked by two 12” on each end in a horizontal lay out and put it above the projector screen. All mounted in custom quarter sawn oak cabinets. Now you see where this is going. I see on here where I can purchase the woofers new, or maybe buy some used and refoam them ( I rebuilt three pair of Bose 901’s last year) I will either have to come up with used crossovers or make them from scratch, then find the ribbon drivers, so I may be able to find Ribbons that need rebuilt from someone who has upgraded to the platinum and removed the 30” drivers or sitting here looking at the 30” driver out of my speaker, if I can figure out how to replace the ribbon maybe I can make the speaker from scratch. It looks like the driver is held between two pieces of wood probably kept in place by the pressure from the screws that pass through the body of the metal case and wood with an electrical connection on each end. It is flanked by what looks like three rows of magnets front and back, If I can get the magnets I may be able to make the complete driver. Now that is a lot of if’s but I know you can get the Kapton material, looking at the driver I can make the metal and wood parts all I would need to know is the size, strength, magnet type and any orientation rules, and maybe I could get them to. Once I have this part figured out I can make the complete speaker. The hardest part for me will probably be the crossovers because I have not done that type of work before but I have a crossover sitting on the back of the speaker behind me and I have seen a schematic of it on here so if I can get the parts I should be able to make one. I know it all sounds crazy… Maybe I am getting way ahead of myself so I will contact Dave and see if he will sell me the material and maybe talk me through rebuilding this pair first. I wish I could have gone to the Carverfest and had the honor of talking to Bob about these speakers, he would probably call me crazy to.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:41 am

You're not crazy, just eager.

I have done pretty much what you say you want to do... trust me, not worth the time starting from scratch.
I looked into making NEW ribbons a while back. The upfront cost to get the minimum orders of everything was around 10k
And that was before the prices of metal went all crazy.

Best bet is to get some used ribbons off eBay or Craigslist and rebuild them. Either doing it yourself, or having Dave do them.

And if you want NOS we have them here as well viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1263
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

<<

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Ok, now that my unbridled enthusiasm is under control and you all have talked some sense into me I have to make a decision. I think I am going to buy the new 60” ribbons from Toy Maker for the set of amazing I have now. Then I am going to take the 30” ribbons I have now and see if DaveS will sell me the material and I will try to rebuild them and order new subs to make a pair from scratch. I found a set of crossovers for sale so I think I can make this work if I am lucky. I am probably still crazy but it gives me something to do. My dad and I work in the woodshop all the time and he likes new projects anyway. The last pair of speakers we built was in 1989 with drivers from radio shack.
<<

ejvic

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:10 pm

Or sell me one working 30' ribbon..

Return to Carver Speakers