FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:14 am

Heimdell Speaker Cables

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:18 pm

Heimdell Speaker Cables

I bought a set of Heimdell speaker cables to run the Amazings. These babies retail at about $1600. I paid about $800. I was really exited to get these things up and running . I took off the old M1 and replaced it with the Nordost. Guess what that great bass I had disappeared. I was ready to slit both wrists and run a hot bath. These are supposed to be a couple of steps below the infamous Valhalla. Everybody who has this Nordost seems to rave about it. Apparently they don't have the Carvers. Really don't want to lay out 4 or 5 grand for Valhallas and find out that they are about equal to my M1's. I have some of the interconnect too. Not bad but I haven't had the chance to start switching the interconnect and putting it up against my old Monster M1000i. Alright the truth is I'm afraid to. I don't know what I'm going to do in the future when buying cable. They don't even have high end Monster to audition in these parts. They say you always get what you pay for. In the case of audio cable, "NOT" So maybe if I have 5 more beer they'll start sounding better. Used to work with women in bars. Art
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: Heimdell Speaker Cables

Sorry to hear your issue. I would also hate to drop $800 on a set of speaker cables and have my system sound bad.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Here are some good videos to watch. In one, don't know which one, Bob talks about cables. It is very interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10242
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:07 pm

tah800 wrote:I bought a set of Heimdell speaker cables to run the Amazings. These babies retail at about $1600. I paid about $800. I was really exited to get these things up and running . I took off the old M1 and replaced it with the Nordost. Guess what that great bass I had disappeared. I was ready to slit both wrists and run a hot bath. These are supposed to be a couple of steps below the infamous Valhalla. Everybody who has this Nordost seems to rave about it. Apparently they don't have the Carvers. Really don't want to lay out 4 or 5 grand for Valhallas and find out that they are about equal to my M1's. I have some of the interconnect too. Not bad but I haven't had the chance to start switching the interconnect and putting it up against my old Monster M1000i. Alright the truth is I'm afraid to. I don't know what I'm going to do in the future when buying cable. They don't even have high end Monster to audition in these parts. They say you always get what you pay for. In the case of audio cable, "NOT" So maybe if I have 5 more beer they'll start sounding better. Used to work with women in bars. Art

Nothing like paying out the ass and getting something you thought would be better, but isn't to you. :-& :-& :-&
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

BB3

M-400t CUBE

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:41 pm

thuffman03 wrote:Here are some good videos to watch. In one, don't know which one, Bob talks about cables. It is very interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10242

Tom, thank you for taking the time to post those videos.-----BILL

tah800, I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with the cables, maybe just give it a little more time for them to "burn in" ?----Take Care and I hope everything turns out for the better tah800.------BILL
Carver Gear : C-9, C-16, C-19, 4-TFM55's, 2-TFM35's, 1-TFM25, 2-Silver 7-T's, 490T.

Non Carver Gear : Anthem AVM50V, Anthem Pre2L, Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1, Denon DCD1560, Panasonic DMK23, Sony BDP-S350, Sony PS3, Sony 52" XBR-6, Sony 32" XBR-6, Nintendo Wii

Speakers : Polk Audio : SDA-SRS, SDA-SRS 1.2TL, SDA-CRS+, RTA-15TL, 3- Velodyne F-1500's
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:24 pm

I would be patient and let them burn in at lease 200 hours. When I first purchased my speakers (MB Quart Alexxa S-One) I was totally pissed off the bass response sounded like shit! Guess what? after 4-5 months the drivers must of broke free and I had bass!! Yeah!! Some research I also did on speaker cable I found the Kimber 4TC performed better in the bass region than the Kimber 8TC, sooo I thought, ummm. I picked up some 4TC off ebay for under $100 bucks and Yes, this also helped with the bass. My speakers now are performing to spec but I will probably get a sub or two only because I'm a bass Head! :D
Hope everything works out for you. If not, put them back up for sell. Good luck
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:29 pm

Yes; be patient and listen to a bunch of stuff (on different days! Some days NOTHING sounds good!) before deciding. No gaurentees that it'll improve, but give them a chance first!
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:13 pm

That is why I stick to MIT cables every time I tryed something new or swap out a new cable I always end up back with the MIT cables! Jesse and I both listened to tunes with different cables during Carverfest and the MIT came out ahead!
So I tell everyone, need a good cable look at MIT they have many different cables to fit your price range and they never let me down yet! When I get a chance I try different cables from fokes I thank them for letting me try their cables so I don't have to go out and buy them. Saves me alot of cash!

Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:46 am

All of my personal experiences with Nordost cables ended with the same conclusion, no effing bass!

My advice, sell them quick and invest in MIT Shotgun series cables. You can thank Eddie and I later.

BTW, I ran MIT S1's on my Plat's when I had them.....plenty of bass and everything else too.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:22 pm

With the caveat that everyone's system/situation is different, I have not had that experience (inadequate bass) with the Nordost Solar Winds that I got from Dreamer and used to bi-wire by "spheres" (six 6.5" woofers). In fact, I 1st thought "too much bass" and thought this was due to an imbalance in the speaker driver wiring scheme (or something; was not sure what). But after replacing the very mediocure 8M IC's that I was using to "feed" this system from the preamp in my family room with much better quality AudioQuest (Black Mamba's) 8M IC's, this "too much bass" issue went right away. The high's were being "starved"/choked from the inferior 8M IC's; once this fixed, the response was very flat and nice and no more apparent "too much bass" which was really "too little high's". Bottom line, I'm VERY pleased with my Nordost wires and this system (sphere's and TFM-42) has never sounded better (after the IC issue was resolved).

Along these same lines, your "where's the bass?" issue MAY be due to the Nordost wires "revealing"/"boosting" your highs a bit more then before with the old wires and thus giving you the impression that the lows were being made less. A possibility....only a theory. Just recognizing that everything is relative and "not enough bass" is similiar to "more highs" and vice versa. That and the fact that ANY change in how a system sounds takes a while to adjust to...
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Carvers always had great highs and mids almost to the point of being a bit sharp at times. I think you would be hard pressed to find any cable that would improve them. Back when I bought them I ran Phoenix Gold on them and they still sounded great. My problem has always been getting the bass right. Tha addition of the high powered blocks and better heavier rewiring started me on my way. The old larger M1 Monster seemed to be the final piece in the puzzle. With the addition of the Heimdell cable I was looking for even better bass not less. The Nordost interconnect is fine. The pair of Frey cables I have are certainly the best. I'm convinced thar if you really want to get to that great bass you'd probably have to get to Valhalla. But at over 5 grand would you really get that much better. If you buy a $1600 speaker cable like the Hemdell you're only getting one step above their entry level Baldur and 4 steps behind their 20,000 Odin. So reletively speaking you shouln't be getting All that much. Don't take this the wrong way but I can't imagine the Solar Wind which is dead entry level giving you much in the way of bass. They are still a bit below the Baldur and the majority of owners and dealers of Nordost advise against using it if you are looking for strong bass. I wish the Carvers allowed for Biwring. That way I could leave the old Monsters on the Woofers and the Heimdell on the ribbons. That would be the best of both worlds. Art
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:17 pm

[quote="F1nut"]All of my personal experiences with Nordost cables ended with the same conclusion, no effing bass!

My advice, sell them quick and invest in MIT Shotgun series cables. You can thank Eddie and I later.

Holy crap, I didn't realize that some cables could cost that much. Does it really make that much of a difference in the sound of the speakers? Anyone care to explain to me why so?

Also, I looked on Audiogon but have no clue what would be proper. Anyone care to post a link that would work for the Plats? Guess that will be something else I will have to ponder as whether to spend some money on.

Thanks
Carverfest 2010 quote...I can't explain it right now, I'm drunk...

GO BUCKEYES
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:09 pm

I will say that the bass of my EPI 1000's using the QED Silver Spirals (more the "garden hose" sized "monster" cable type wires preferred here) IS superior (velvet smooth and exquisitely detailed and room filling - their 8" woofers vs the sphere's 6.5" woofers probably have more to do with this than the QED's) to the aforementioned spheres with the Nordost's. But no way to know whether that the wires or speakers... Ergo there is a lot more to "great bass" then "deep sub-woofer" sound! So I still like the Solar Winds for different reasons! Of course it is all complicated; whatever sounds "right" with YOUR complex mix of system components/ears/room/etc. is what you should of course stick with. For me, I'm VERY happy with BOTH my systems right now and they are both "all they can be" due to the wires I'm using. YMMV! And you of course need to decide what wires are for you and how much "budget" to allocate to this "component" (a very important one - "wires" - that I put at the same level as say one's preamp!) And as shown here, PRICE is not always a good indication of QUALITY, as in the worst scenario, a lot of "high end" wires are pure BS and ripoff, and in the best scenario just might not be synergistic with your system! Putting a 4 figure price tag on a set of wires does not make them sound better! SIZE of a "wires" company is probably just as important as what they "cost" as the HUGE development costs of premium wires can then be amortised over a much larger number of sales then with a smaller company!- Ed
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Does it really make that much of a difference in the sound of the speakers? Anyone care to explain to me why so?

Yes.

If I knew that I'd be selling the effers myself. :)

Also, I looked on Audiogon but have no clue what would be proper. Anyone care to post a link that would work for the Plats?

As I mentioned, MIT Shotgun S1.

Ed makes some good points. What works for one doesn't always work for another and synergy is the key to all of it.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:29 pm

Jesse, saw Shotgun S1 cables on audiogon Item: 1261396099 Would these be the same thing as yours Price seems reasonable. Art. p.s. Saw S1.3's They were looking for nearly $1500 and that's american.
Next

Return to Carver Speakers