FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:15 pm

Need help in identifying my Amazings from Craigslist

<<

lafeet47

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:50 am

Need help in identifying my Amazings from Craigslist

Hi, I have bought two pairs of Carver Amazings off of Craigslist in the past year. I'm looking for any info available on these (when made, MSRP when new, which series, etc. Pair #1: I bought these earlier this year ($400). They are black laquer, Silver editions in perfect shape. They have the silver crinkled ribbons and no adjustments on the back, just one pair of speaker hookups and a fuse. They sound great. Pair #2: I just bought these ($600). They are the larger ones, Originals, I believe, and are also black and in perfect shape. They have 4 12" woofers and 2 30" ribbons per side. They have gold smooth ribbons and nothing on the back except a single pair of speaker hookups (no fuse or adjustments). Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:58 am

Re: Need help in identifying my Amazings from Craigslist

WELCOME, lafeet47~

Someone will be along soon to give you the details. *5* :D
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:21 am

Welcome to the forum. As TNRabbit said someone with more knowledge than I will be able to answer your question.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:38 am

lafeet47 wrote:Hi, I have bought two pairs of Carver Amazings off of Craigslist in the past year. I'm looking for any info available on these (when made, MSRP when new, which series, etc. Pair #1: I bought these earlier this year ($400). They are black laquer, Silver editions in perfect shape. They have the silver crinkled ribbons and no adjustments on the back, just one pair of speaker hookups and a fuse. They sound great. Pair #2: I just bought these ($600). They are the larger ones, Originals, I believe, and are also black and in perfect shape. They have 4 12" woofers and 2 30" ribbons per side. They have gold smooth ribbons and nothing on the back except a single pair of speaker hookups (no fuse or adjustments). Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob

1st off Welcome !!!...

The speakers you have are obviously Carver SIlver Amazing Loudspeakers (smaller ones), and Carver Amazing Loudspeakers (larger ones)
MSRP for the silvers was around $2,400 and the original Amazings were $1,600-2,000 when new.
MFG date, ASL 1986-1988 $1,600.00 - Silvers 89-93 $2,400.00
At the botom of the ribbon, there is a date stamped in red ink on the bottom end of the driver.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Welcome and I don't know squat about the speakers. :shock: James is probably right. :)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Hello and welcome to the Carver forum. James is correct with both speakers. The larger speaker is the original Carver Amazing Loudspeaker and the first to come out in the series. No upgrades have been done to them [if they still have the honeycomb style woofers] but since they have the smooth ribbons, they have either been replaced or were sold when the crinkled ribbon was changed to a smooth ribbon during production. That speaker is a very hard one to drive, in fact, I'd venture to say that there are only a handful of amps that will bring out the best that they have to offer. They are a 4 ohm nominal speaker that can dip down to 1.5 or 1.6 ohms.

The Silvers are one of two models of Silvers that were available. You have the standard Silver ALS and not the MKIV version. I believe that the Silvers came out about the same time as the Platinum ALS as they were both made a little easier to drive than the original ALS's.

James has my disc with all of the Carver information on it, so I can't help you with the actual dates but I can tell you that both of them are close to twenty years old...give or take 3 or so years.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"

Return to Carver Speakers