FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:08 am

"Budget" amp for original Amazings

<<

lafeet47

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:21 am

"Budget" amp for original Amazings

I just bought a pair of original Amazings. I understand that they require a high power/high current amp that is stable at a 1-2 ohm load. I'm currently unemployed and probably shouldn't have bought the speakers, I already have a pair of Silver ALS, but I couldn't pass them up ($600). So, now I need an amp. The biggest amp that I have is a Hafler DH-500 (250 wattts @8 ohms/400 @ 4 ohms). I'm fond of vintage stuff, I'm sort of vintage myself. What is the most "cost effective" way for me to power these? I have a 12X20' listening area with 8' ceilings. I listen to rock music, sort of loud. I realize I'm asking for a lot, but I can't afford Silver 7t's or 9t's. I appreciate any and all suggestions? Thanks to all who answered my last post. Bob
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 am

Re: "Budget" amp for original Amazings

What is your maximum budget including shipping?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

lafeet47

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:22 pm

I'd like to do it for what I paid for the speakers, $600. Maybe after the holidays, things will get better job wise and I can get more serious about an amp. I realize that that wont buy much, but I'm on a budget and I'm not in a hurry. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:55 pm

Man, that's a tight budget. What I would do is bide your time and wait for a deal to present itself on a pair of 9t's or 7t's. Mr Carver built them specifically to power those speakers since not many amps could handle that kind of load. If you can hold out even longer and pull up even more cash, consider a Sunfire or Lightstar amp.

All of the aforementioned amps will power them correctly, the Lightstar being the top choice for sound quality.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

kingman

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:40 pm

Man...unemployed at the holidays...what a bummer!!! I think I would take Trietz 3's advice to wait. 1) you need more $$$ to get what you really need 2) with no money coming in, the last thing I know I would be doing is looking to spend $$$ on amps and stereo equipment. Things will get better!!! Keep the faith!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:54 pm

IMO you will need at least a Sunfire 300~2 to drive them since you like to listen to your music loud.

They can be had at your budget. I saw two go this month for that price. One on ebay and the other on audiogon for just over $600 but they normally go for over $800.

If you really must buy someting, and I know how much it is killing you to have those speakers sitting there without an amp, you could buy a TFM 45, TFM 55 or a M1.5t. I know were you can get the M1.5t for well below your budget price and later you can sell it to pay for something bigger.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:29 pm

The M1.5t will not power the original Amazings properly. They will play, mind you .....but nowhere near what you would want them played at. Even an old fart would agree.

I know, I've tried it.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:33 pm

IF you just want something cheap to get by with until "your ship comes in", you might consider a new Behringer amp at ~350 w/c for something like under $300. I know someone who "auditioned" a bunch of "average" amps using a web site that had FREE 30 day trial on anything and he said that the Behringer (don't remember the exact model number but it one of the ~350 w/c ones) was heads above anything else he auditioned (with his Klips)...
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:58 pm

treitz3 wrote:The M1.5t will not power the original Amazings properly. They will play, mind you .....but nowhere near what you would want them played at. Even an old fart would agree.

I know, I've tried it.

I hear you on this not being ideal amp for these speakers. With what he can afford what would else could he use?
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:44 pm

I already mentioned them. That is, if you want to stay with Carver based products. Beyond that? Good luck and happy hunting......

<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:36 am

Grab a 1.5t to give then some play. Save for the 7t's then sell the 1.5t. How is that for a plan? :-k Or, save longer for a TFM-75.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

lafeet47

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Hey, you guys (girls?) are great! You gave me a variety of options; just what I was looking for. So, the M-1.5t will power these to moderate volumes without melting down? They seem to be moderately priced. Somebody on here had one to sell. How much? I'll wait until after Christmas and see how the money goes, but that looks like a good option. I've had experience with low impedence speakers (Infinity RS-II's, great speakers) and know what they can do to an amp. My brother has Infinity Kappa 9's and, after several amps, had to finally buy a Krell KSA-250. It works great. It should for what he had to pay for it. I don't really need for them to get too loud as I have several pairs of speakers in my listening room, including a pair of ALS Silvers, already going. I'm sort of a stereo collector/nut, as opposed to a true audiophile. I like to build "Frankenstereos" out of various combinations of equipment. I have a lot of vintage stuff from the 70's and 80's. I still have a lot of Quadraphonic equipment ( Sansui QRX-9001 pushing 4 big EPI speakers). Anybody on here remember those? They still sound quite good. It's my bedroom set-up now. I'm very happily divorced. Can you see why? Thanks, Bob
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:02 pm

PM beemers417. He has an audio shop and he has a M1.5 in stock.

www.vintagehifishop.com
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

lafeet47

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:53 pm

How about the M-500t? You guessed it, I like VU meters. They seem to be reasonable and I was reading about the Mk II upgrade option. Will it handle the low impedence loads of my Amazings? Also, will the old Phase Linears handle this load? Thanks, Bob
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:22 pm

I don't think the M-500t has the balls for the original Amazing ribbons. Maybe if you had a pair of them bi-amped with an active crossover in front of them so they wouldn't have to amplify the entire audio spectrum, they might do.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Return to Carver Speakers