FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:29 pm

"Budget" amp for original Amazings

<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: "Budget" amp for original Amazings

Originals are 4 ohm, Silvers 6 ohm & Plats 8 ohm.

h2oskiwme2008 wrote:I have 2 m1.0t amps bridged to power my 60" ribbon amazings. I know this is a rookie question but do my amazings dip too low in impedence for this arrangement? Also am I not getting the kind of sound these are capable of. For having 8 12" woofers the bass has been somewhat of a disappointment and I find myself having to use a subwoofer. #-o

Try bi-amping rather than bridging the amps if you have Plats with four binding posts. If you aren't getting enough bass out of Plats, you don't have enough power. The bass response on mine will literally cause the window glass to bulge with each bass note.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:21 pm

I would definitely vertically bi-amp with two identical amps like that. You'll deliver a lot more useful power than by bridging. Throw in an active crossover for even more efficient use of the power.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:10 pm

skip wrote:Originals are 4 ohm, Silvers 6 ohm & Plats 8 ohm.

h2oskiwme2008 wrote:I have 2 m1.0t amps bridged to power my 60" ribbon amazings. I know this is a rookie question but do my amazings dip too low in impedence for this arrangement? Also am I not getting the kind of sound these are capable of. For having 8 12" woofers the bass has been somewhat of a disappointment and I find myself having to use a subwoofer. #-o

If you aren't getting enough bass out of Plats, you don't have enough power. The bass response on mine will literally cause the window glass to bulge with each bass note.

That is why getting new surrounds is giving me chills, Before the rot my Plat's could move mass amounts of air.
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

SleeperSupra

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:13 am

A Behringer EP2500 will do it just fine. I had one driving my originals.

The EP2500 is 450 x 2 @8r, 700 x 2 @4, and 900 x 2 @2.

The amp can be bought for around $300.00, is one ohm stable, and sounds very good.

I moved to a Crown CTs 2000 that is 1,000 wpc at 8, 4, or 2 ohms and sounds even better, although a new one costs over 10 times as much...
Previous

Return to Carver Speakers