Zoot Horn wrote:Jerry,, just haul em to CF 10 and have Bob look at em :-#

Hehe, :lol: good idea George.

You should stop by this weekend and join the rewire party..... :D
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: re-wire Amazing Speakers

Alright guys. All of the diagrams has me wondering about the re-wire job I did a year or two ago. I guess I'm going to have to pull the backs off and re-inspect to make sure I am wired properly. #-o My TFM-75 hasn't complained, so I assume I'm OK. The 16 ohm diagram Bill did looks awful familiar for my Plat. 4's.
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:20 pm

jerryj12 wrote:
Zoot Horn wrote:Jerry,, just haul em to CF 10 and have Bob look at em :-#

Hehe, :lol: good idea George.

You should stop by this weekend and join the rewire party..... :D

Okay,,when are you starting?
<<

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:48 pm

BillD wrote:Well, IIRC, when I looked at Reese's Amazings, they were wired as below.

Amazing Woofers parallel.jpg

As you can see, the top two and the bottom two are wired in parallel. Two 4 Ohm loads in parallel yield a two Ohm load. These two are then wired together in series to get a 4 Ohm load.

What I am suggesting (and what I would like to do to Reese's next time I'm there) is to change the wiring to the following.

Amazing Woofers.jpg

In this arrangement, the top and bottom two are wired in series giving 8 Ohms, and then the two pairs are wired in parallel to yield the 4 Ohm load. This configuration will better balance the load between the top and the bottom. Reese's woofers noticeably produce more excursion from the bottom two woofers than the top two.

I would have thought the second diagram would be the most logical, the first one is just plain strange.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 pm

It isn't that strange. It's just the diagram, I think. See below.
Aamzing wooofer options.jpg
Aamzing wooofer options.jpg (39.98 KiB) Viewed 238 times

If you look at the original diagram, if you rotated the top two speakers 180º, the wiring would be really simple. Now if you look at the new diagram, rotating the middle two speakers 180º makes the wiring simpler. I believe the bolts are symmetrical, so this is doable.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:00 am

It looks like to me you would want to wire each pair in series then wire that in parallel. The factory diagram makes it look like the top two drivers would get a lot less power than what the bottom drivers get. Has anyone rewired originals like the second diagram so each driver load is balanced? I think that is what I should do but Bob may show up at my house and kick my ass for messing with his speaker design [-X .
<<

BillD

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:58 am

I have WATCHED the woofers in Reese's Amazings and it is clearly visible that the lower speakers move more than the uppers.

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:38 pm

I am going to rewire them first both drivers in series then put them in parallel. Now should I try to find the same size of wire or go with something bigger? Any suggestions?
<<

BillD

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Well, there's probably enough wire in there to re-use. If you wanted to go new, I'd just use 12 gauge hookup wire like this stuff at radio shack

tah800

TFM-25

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:31 am

I don't think I'm going to get into that deal of switching the wires around but I will tell you what I'm going to get for hook-up wire. I've found a place that sells Cardas 9.5 hook-up wire. That's what I'm going to get. Pick up a set Cardas binding posts too. Their Rhodium-gold ones are really nice. I have a set on my Amazings. They're great. The original posts are really poor. I don't think they were put on there because they worked well in the design. To design speakers at $2500 which will rival those at ten grand components had to be cheaper. Think back awhile and you'll see the replacement woofers sold at 25 bucks a piece. I'll bet the ribbons were produced cheaply too. The original $30 inch replacement ribbons sold at $500 a pop. That''s $2000 for full repacement. The original cost of the whole speaker was only about 3 to 5 hundred dollars more. I've taken one of those things apart and their is not a whole lot ot them. and that crossover is a hunk of partice board with some circuitry on it. Now I'm not knocking Bob Carver I think the man is a genius to build a speaker which rivals $10,000 models so cheaply,that being said I still believe you can upgrade components and make them better. I'd really like to find a guy who could build a really high end crossover to replace the one in there.I'll bet there are not to many Amazings out there with something like that in them I know if I were Bob Carver I wouldn't stand up at a Carverfest outing and say boys I've built a great speaker with cheap stuff in it but you know what he did. That's why so many of us can have and enjoy them. It also doesn't mean that we can't make them better. Art
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:35 am

hey, Art~ :D

Why would anyone take the trouble to rebuild the crossovers when it would be much better & more efficient to replace them with an active crossover & bi-amp~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:00 am

That's great, but find me a decent active crossover that doesn't require balanced connections. ](*,)
<<

BillD

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:51 am

Rane AC-22 (non-B)

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:57 pm

If they're going to build with TRS connections, why the hell not build with RCA?
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Speakers