It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Carver True Subwoofer question

<<

gjm76

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:23 am

Carver True Subwoofer question

Guys,
Looking for a sub and want to know the different types of TRUE SUBWOOFERS Bob put out through the years...I see so many differnt kinds on audiogon and Ebay. Supe junior, MkII, Signature, etc...Can someone explain major differences between them and which one was the biggest and best? THANK YOU!
Check out my new website for Vintage Audio Advertisements, Brochures, and Reviews! http://www.VINTAGEAUDIOARCHIVE.com

Theater System: Carver tfm-35, tfm-25, M-500t, 490t CD, Denon 2808 DVD, Sony 550 Blu Ray, Elite Receiver, Denon Dp-62 TT, Epson HC 6100 Projo, Gateway XP PC

Bar System: Carver m1.5t, Otari mx-5050 Open Reel, Sony Turntable, HP Desktop PC
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Carver True Subwoofer question

[dump]Well, a lot of this is off the top of my head, and might not be all inclusive. There were many True Subwoofers, and then some others that were dominators or architectural or whatever. The real True Subwoofer always had the distinguishing characteristic of the 2700 Watt plate amp. THere were the Signature ones that had a 12" active radiator and a 12" passive. The normal ones (like mine) had a 10" pair (one active/one passive). The original was superseded by the Mk.II (like mine) which was superseded by the Mk.IV (I don't know of a Mk.III). AFAICT, these are all the same, spec wise, just 10" or 12" based on non- versus Signature. Next came the EQ versions (something I'd like very much) that had a built in electronic equalizer program with a calibrated mike. You'd plunk the subwoofer down in the place you wanted it, put the mike in your listening position and start the program that would emit a bunch of grunts out of the subwoofer and adjust its frequency response to flat. THese came in non- and Signature models too.[/dump]
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Hey BillD, when you say it runs the program (eq sub) what exactly do you mean? I understand running programs, but what software is used and by what? Is it something the pre/processor runs using the sub output and maybe OSD? How is the crossover affected by running this program? Thanks
<<

BillD

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:02 pm

It's all in the sub. There's a little digital equalizer in ther3 (you can see a bar of lamps on the back of the sub). I'm sure it's just a little firmware program stored in a chip that generates the test tones and applies attenuation settings for incoming signals. The microphone plugs directly into the sub. Oh, BTW, the EQs also have an XLR input.

kingman

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:18 pm

I never knew that. Thanks!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

BillD

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:25 pm

kingman

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:29 pm

WOW!!! You ever heard one Bill???
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

BillD

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Nope, just want one real bad! I've got my Mk.II corner loaded, and it does a pretty good job in my listening position. I don't know how flat the response is, though. I think my bigger M&K is a little flatter overall, but it's in my office. It doesn't have near the power of the Sunfire.

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:44 am

I want one!!! :D Dang, I really like the idea you can place it anywhere you want in the room, and I don't have many options in my listening room! And be able to dial it in for the perfect bass wherever you place it. Man! I love that!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:53 am

Jag_97470 wrote:I want one!!! :D Dang, I really like the idea you can place it anywhere you want in the room, and I don't have many options in my listening room! And be able to dial it in for the perfect bass wherever you place it. Man! I love that!

Well, it's not quite THAT good, but it will correct for room standing waves/nodes UP TO A POINT~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:55 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
Jag_97470 wrote:I want one!!! :D Dang, I really like the idea you can place it anywhere you want in the room, and I don't have many options in my listening room! And be able to dial it in for the perfect bass wherever you place it. Man! I love that!

Well, it's not quite THAT good, but it will correct for room standing waves/nodes UP TO A POINT~

Oh, thanks for shattering my dreams Rabbit! Now I'm crying thanks to you! :lol: Maybe you should keep your Chippendale job! :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

BillD

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:51 pm

It was so like Gary to be asleep on the job! :lol:

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:17 pm

BillD wrote:It was so like Gary to be asleep on the job! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Unlike most here, in my early attempts to put together a stereo system, I bought speakers I could afford, and found a cheap sub helped a lot. Actually, it all mostly was quite pleasing. Those are stacked in the basement. I am now into "middle range" which means I have some things put together with better understanding of a system, and a few things I can't afford. My stuff always amazed me, but now I can see what I was missing, and understand what I am still missing.

You have a lot of good stuff. With good speakers, a sub is not a critical part to stereo, but to movies is a plus.

Having said that, I must confess that I am not into bass. Still, here on the deck, I have a POLK DSW microPRO against my Adirondack chair. I have it just picking up the very low notes, and it is fun when it unexpectedly shakes the porch and the chair.

Still, experience tells me to to keep up grading the main speakers.

Return to Carver Speakers