FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:11 am

Replacement and rewirring of woofers on Platinum Amazings!

<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Replacement and rewirring of woofers on Platinum Amazings!

Here is a few shots taken before I start! What I found is the woofers to be wirred out of phase with the ribbon but all the woofers are wired in parallel with eath other! Have any one else see this on their Plat's? The service manual show the ribbon and woofers being wired in phase with each other! Eddie!
Attachments
Platuim Woofer wirring 006.JPG
Platuim Woofer wirring 006.JPG (839.97 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Platuim Woofer wirring 008.JPG
Platuim Woofer wirring 008.JPG (1013.38 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Replacement and rewirring of woofers on Platinum Amazings!

If you look close, you will see that the red flange is reversed on the top two.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Yes Bill I see that and all the woofers are wired pos to pos and neg to neg, but the leads off the crossover are pos to neg and neg to pos on the first woofer on the bottom. The ribbon is wired pos to pos and neg to neg! So this puts the woofers out of phase with the ribbon right? Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

BillD

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Well, I looked at the schematic, and it appears that you are correct. I'd have to look at the crossover carefully to see exactly if the ground is wired to the red or not. In that both halves of the crossover change the phase by the same amount, I see no reason that they should be wired out of phase. Make sure that they just didn't use the wrong wire color out of the crossover. It should look like this.
Platinum.jpg
Platinum.jpg (110.96 KiB) Viewed 591 times

So the output of the main coil (looks like a small transformer) should be on the crossover output.

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Here is a better one of the crossover!
Attachments
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG (816.61 KiB) Viewed 589 times

<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:46 pm

Bill I would like to see how the silver's with their 3 woofer setup is wired! Meaning in the manaul they are wired in phase with the ribbon but maybe they are wired out of phase like the plat's? Eddie!

<<

BillD

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:09 pm

Well, it could be a lot of things, but none of them explain it. For instance, if the speed of sound is 1125 ft./sec, the wavelength of 150Hz in air is 7½ feet, so a half wavelength would be 3¾', wouldn't explain trying to match the voice coil planes. I think they are just wired wrong.

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:45 am

ummm, very strange :-k Where did you get these?
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:49 am

Are you certain they are out of phase; doesn't this pick show the wires being crossed to bring them in the same phase?? Also, is it possible there is a phase shift in the crossover that the crossing of wiring brings the ribbon/woofers back in phase together??
Platuim Woofer wirring 006.JPG
Platuim Woofer wirring 006.JPG (572.01 KiB) Viewed 575 times
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

BillD

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

It's right out of the crossover where they are out of phase, Gary (to the bottom speaker).

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:54 pm

Gary the cross in the connections where you are pointing at is because the two bottom woofers are mounted upside down! I checked the other speaker and it too is wire out of phase with the ribbon like this one!
I think I remember Bob Carver talking about this at one of the Carverfests and he said that this is the right way but don't I can't say that 100% I just don't remember! But is it is true why would you not have this in the service manaul like this???

<<

BillD

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:20 pm

If you look at the crossover schematic, both the ribbon and the woofers are on 2nd order LC pass filters. The one on the woofer changes the phase by 180º, and so does the one on the ribbon (in the other direction), so they are 360º out of phase, which is in-phase.

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Ok Bill that tells all then nice job on seeing that one!!!!!

Return to Carver Speakers