FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:35 am

Carver Amazings Origanals

<<

damonrink

Post Sat May 01, 2010 4:36 pm

Carver Amazings Origanals

Hey Guys and Gals out there in carver land! Got a question: I have a chance to pick up a pair original ALS with the Two 30" Ribbons and 4 12" woofers. I have no idea what amp would be suitable for these as i have heard horror stories. I currently have a pair of infinity RSIIs and run them with Two Adcom 555 one for each speaker in the bridged mode. Will this configuration work with the Amazings? :-k
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Carver Amazings Origanals

Welcome to the forum.

I would not bridge an amp into those speakers.

You should look for a Sunfire or Lightstar amp to run those speakers with. They drop to 1 ohm and require lots of power.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat May 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Welcome
Amazings.jpg
Amazings.jpg (64.84 KiB) Viewed 469 times

They sometimes dip down to 2 ohms.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

damonrink

Post Sat May 01, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks for the info guys! Would my Adcom suffice temporary till i can round up the money for another?
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat May 01, 2010 9:56 pm

A Bigh Adcom might fill in forr limited duty,,but your gonna need something Big,,like this-- http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... K-250-w/-b for starters or this

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... fpb-400cx-

You get the ides--good luck. \:D/
<<

damonrink

Post Sun May 02, 2010 12:12 am

OMG! That's absolutely ridiculous! It sounds like i need to make another choice as far as speakers are concerned. That's WAY out of my league.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sun May 02, 2010 2:24 am

there is the PT series, I see these on craigslist all the time.
lots of amp for not a lot of money, and the TFM stuff is nice also. and not to bad in price :)
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Sun May 02, 2010 9:15 am

I ran my Originals (before upgrade to Platinum ribbons and x-overs) with an adcom 5800 (240w/channel) stereo amp. Also after the factory upgrade -- the sound was good, but pushing the speakers for a while made the fan come on sooner. Never shut down, though. (playing classical music mostly -- probably a better genre than constantly loud heavy metal or stuff like that!) and in a room 12x18 -- not huge need for loud sounds, although I did play at "room volume" for that space.

The performance on the ALS' was remarkably improved when I converted (first) to 2 Carver Silver 7t monoblock amps, one per speaker; even more so when I bi-amped the Amazings with 2 Silver 7ts and 2 Silver 9ts! (These both are rated at 575w-1200x!)

I don't know what your desired price range is -- the Silver 7ts cost me about $1500 as I recall, give or take a hundred bucks, I think. They were made for the Amazings and the power hungry ribbons -- if you can afford that and find them now and then, maybe have them refurbished at Rita's out in Washington State, you'll have the perfect combination and power-handling set-up in my opinion.

Buy the Amazings in any case -- even underpowered, they're a treasure!
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

damonrink

Post Sun May 02, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks for all the comments and advice! I plan to pick them up today. You mentioned that the speakers need upgrading, can you comment more on this? \:D/
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Sun May 02, 2010 12:15 pm

damonrink wrote:Thanks for all the comments and advice! I plan to pick them up today. You mentioned that the speakers need upgrading, can you comment more on this? \:D/

You'll need to find 60" Carver ribbons for sale to do an upgrade now. ToyMaker and his dad, Dave S., here might be able to sell you the ribbons. (Mine was done while Carver corp still existed, and I bought the upgrade kit from them in the mid-90's). A passive crossover for the Platinum version of the Originals may be difficult to find, though, but not impossible. You can also go with an external active cross-over, but you'll need something like my Rane crossover and also two equalizers, if I'm not mistaken.

The 60" ribbons have more impedance than the 2 x 30" ribbons, and Carver asserted the upgrade made the responses smoother (with the Platinum cross-over in the upgrade package).

Reese
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun May 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Hey,,diamonrink--contact jerryj12,, he may have a ss amp for sale,,it will drive your amazings too,,just a thought. Good luck :)
<<

damonrink

Post Sun May 02, 2010 11:44 pm

\:D/ Well guys, I GOT THEM!!! I drove 130 miles in my 4 runner to the guys house for the audition. When i went to his living room, WOW!!! is the very least i could say. I figured he would have some great gear but DAMN! he was a-b ing a set of ALS originals (the ones i traded for) with a set of IRS Betas! I never had so much pleasure listing to music as i did right then. Anyway, I traded a Sig Sauer P-229 stainless .40 cal. pistol for the ALS originals. They are probably an 8 out of 10 on the condition which i was very happy to see. The only scuff marks was on the very bottom and one of the speakers had a chip on the right side of the right speaker. Other than that all is well. The foams are all in great shape as well as the Ribbons and the grills.

I am going to need a amp or Two and I'm trying to find out about different wiring options. Maybe running the woofer wires straight to the amp bypassing the internal x-over and using a active x-over up stream. Is this a good idea or not. I plan to do the upgrade on the 2 30" ribbons per speaker if and when i find them but the ones that are in them now are absolutely perfect as far as sight and sound goes. The honeycomb part of the woofer are smooth and clean with no dents or flaws. All-n-all i have about $500 in the speakers as that is what i paid for the gun
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon May 03, 2010 3:27 am

Congrats on the ALS's.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon May 03, 2010 6:16 am

Sounds like you made a good trade~ =D>

Just listen to them as is for now & get a feel for PLACEMENT, which is key to getting the most out of them. Preferably at least 2-3 feet out from side & back walls is best. We understand that is not possible for many folks, so experiment with what you have.

After you've dialed in your current setup & have a feel for them, then you can start thinking about upgrading, if you want to. Everyone is different & you may be completely happy with them as is~

Enjoy! :D
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
Next

Return to Carver Speakers