FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Carver Amazings Origanals

<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Mon May 03, 2010 8:30 am

Re: Carver Amazings Origanals

Way to go!!!! A good trade (you probably have other guns around anyway....heheh)

These speakers are indeed AMAZING -- well named, for sure. Let me know if you need some coaching and advice on room placement. PM or otherwise. Agreed that they need some "space" behind and around them to really perform the best, and angled in a bit toward listening position can affect them in good ways for imaging. Buy your ears may be the best test of all, of course.

Reese
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Mon May 03, 2010 9:18 am

Congrats!! I also have the original running on a Sunfire sig. 625 x 2. They do sound nice!!
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon May 03, 2010 10:02 am

I'd go the active bi-amp of the woofers and the ribbons. Just disconnect the wires that go from the crossover to the woofer bank and wire new binding posts directly to the woofers. Set your crossover around 100Hz (actually, wherever it sounds best with Amazings.
Amazing Crossover.jpg
Amazing Crossover.jpg (173.65 KiB) Viewed 229 times

Even though the wooofer equivalent resistance (Re) is 2.7Ω, the raw woofers are wired at 4Ω (sans crossover components).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Mon May 03, 2010 10:08 am

Congrats on the ALS,s..I wouldn't up grade em , if you want silvers , go buy silvers , I have a set of originals my self , I use a Sunfire 300-2 for power....They sound incredible...I know the up grade REALLY help as far as sound and power requirements , but for me I wanted the originals , the 1st speaker EVER of its kind , and its a Carver....I will pick up some silvers some day , but I am also a collector of all carver , so why would I ever want to change em...But , thats just me....Enjoy those Originals and enjoy Bob,s work... =D>
<<

damonrink

Post Mon May 03, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks for the great advice!! One thing i do want to comment on, I have always used a real good EQ one that has a pink noise gen and the whole shibang. As soon as i started listening to ALS speakers, I kept adjusting it until it sounded the best and that was dead flat. So that is one piece i will not need. The Carver C-4000 pre has everything i need! :D
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue May 04, 2010 3:49 am

What we're getting at is if you eventually actively biamp, you will have to reshape the eq as the internal crossovers (which help flatten the output) will be gone.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue May 04, 2010 10:11 am

But only on the ribbons.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Tue May 04, 2010 10:25 am

Re: Carver Amazings Originals

I am sorry to ask this on this tread but... On my ALS originals,, I find myself turning up the treble or on the bass unit ( the one for the ALS I cant recall the model number) I turn up the highs and keep the bass actually at -2... I do find the on flat a bit on the dark side. My question is if I do the bi amp trick, will that help brighten them up? Do I have to have 2 amps or with my Sig II 625X2, can I just run the voltage out and current out to the tops and bottom? Or will I not get the full benefit of doing a true bi amp?

I do have a Rance AC22b ( XLR only though so I would have to get a rca - xlr adapter) so a electronic crossover would be no problem.

Thanks and sorry to ask on this thread but, it is on the same subject...
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue May 04, 2010 10:40 am

Need more details to give you a good recommendation, erniejade. Complete setup details, room size, pic if available...
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Tue May 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Equipment,

Sunfire sig II 625 x 2 carver c19 pre Jolida cd100 cd. Technics 1200 with a Denon DL160 cart, From the Polk board ben's cables for IC's On the Sunfire I have it on the voltage out.. The current is just too much bass on the out.

Speakers are 3 feet from the corner, about 1 foot away from the wall. Cement basement! 26 X 24. The speakers are on the 24' side. I do have the amazings on carpet squares.

Next to them I do have a set of polk sda 1.2 running on the same as above except the amp is a McIntosh mc2105. ( I love that the c-19 has 2 sets of pre outs.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Tue May 04, 2010 1:47 pm

erniejade1 wrote:Equipment,

Sunfire sig II 625 x 2 carver c19 pre Jolida cd100 cd. Technics 1200 with a Denon DL160 cart, From the Polk board ben's cables for IC's On the Sunfire I have it on the voltage out.. The current is just too much bass on the out.

Speakers are 3 feet from the corner, about 1 foot away from the wall. Cement basement! 26 X 24. The speakers are on the 24' side. I do have the amazings on carpet squares.

Next to them I do have a set of polk sda 1.2 running on the same as above except the amp is a McIntosh mc2105. ( I love that the c-19 has 2 sets of pre outs.

I am sure Gary will chim in here..I also have the originals , I put a BBE sonic maximizer ( 422A ) Its a 2 channel...I have found my ALS,s to be on the flat side with out the 422a...I do not have a problem adjusting the treble ( +6 )OR bass ( +2 to 5 any less and they sound REAL flat ))to open up the ALS,s....I do not have the treble or bass flat on TGP////..I have found that my ASLS,s need to be pushed aggressively , if that makes sense...I like my stuff bright and boomy , with the mids in your face , so I will not have the treble and bass straight up and down..Like Bob always says " I dont know , lets try it...!! " oh , I have them connected to the voltage side of the amp...Current side made the ribbons sound real flat and skinney...When I Paradigm speakers , tone controls where straight up...Adjust tone controls to the + side , and take a listen...
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Tue May 04, 2010 2:32 pm

I also have a bbe unit LOL i replaced it with the carver bass. Both do a great job actually. ( not with my polks just with the carvers) The polks because of the SDA the bbe is a huge no no. LOL
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue May 04, 2010 3:21 pm

ernie, I started you a new thread so we don't pollute this one:

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11763
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

Asoundpainter

Newbie 50+

Post Wed May 05, 2010 8:39 pm

Every post I read I get more interested in becoming more interested in Carver gear! I have 1.5t(2) driving VMPS Towers I've had since 1986. Built 'em from kit. Have gotten Silver's out from storage and am looking for replacement woofers for them. Job is slow so I have time to devote to the system. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Thu May 06, 2010 12:33 pm

did the foam rot on the silvers?

There is a place that sells the woofers Let me look for the link.

BTW Witch VMPS towers did you build? I have heard some darn good sounding VMPS speakers!!
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Speakers