woofer repair

<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sun May 16, 2010 7:24 pm

woofer repair

went to place called,
http://www.speakerlab.com/

talked to a very nice lady named Ann,( worked there since the 70's) got to talking and she tells me that this place did the woodwork, and painted the lacquer frames for the plats and silvers.
also she knows the Eng, who specked out the woofers, and that she would call him to get the scoop on the spec and parts, ie: surrounds
and that the ribbons I have now were made by them, just a shorter (3") version of the 60" carver ribbon... all done by the same Eng, Dave G and Bob C

so hopefully I can get more info on tues,wed of this comin week...

will keep ya all posted
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

toucanet

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun May 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: woofer repair

Sounds like you may have hit the jackpot!

Good luck =D>
<<

Asoundpainter

Newbie 50+

Post Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Let us know what you find out. Please.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon May 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Don't hold your breath. For one thing the finish is not lacquer, it's car paint.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Asoundpainter

Newbie 50+

Post Mon May 17, 2010 9:38 pm

We've got the frame and stuff alls we need is the info on woofers I believe!
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue May 18, 2010 12:19 am

my bad, the finish is polyurethane acrylic enamel...
but the description says black lacquer model.

Don't hold your breath.

why not, got nothing to loose by doing this research.

what I found today, I went to a store called cartoys, with tape in hand...
found a surround that is so close its not funny, going to contact the speaker maker and see if they will sell surrounds....
will keep ya posted ....... :D
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Asoundpainter

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:18 pm

Found a solution... Found 12" 16 ohm woofers on -- Ebay! They are made by KSC is what the description said. Got the last 8 he had. Had to shave a bit out from the Silvers but have all the bottom end and some to boot. If you can find these I highly recommend them. :-D
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:26 pm

There's more to it than just impedance; they are particularly thin low-Q design to match the ribbons. There's a lot more a work here than just getting a 16 ohm speaker...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:33 pm

TNRabbit wrote:There's more to it than just impedance; they are particularly thin low-Q design to match the ribbons. There's a lot more a work here than just getting a 16 ohm speaker...

Agreed. The Carver woofers are a unique design and have no substitute.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:26 pm

IIRC, Bob actually had to go to Asia to convince the OEM for the speakers that he indeed wanted what he ordered. The Q was so different than any speaker the OEM had ever made before made them skeptical.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Yep.

<<

Asoundpainter

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:21 pm

This is great information however, they are what was available at a price point I was willing to meet. I understand all the specs and such but again availability+cost+sound = one happy painter! Anyone found to refoam the originals yet?
:-s
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Thing is, the foam is part of the mechanical part of the design. Change the characteristics of the foam, you change the speaker. You are traveling off into wild territory here.....

I would consider repairs like this temporary [yet, still a compromise] until I could afford the OEM replacement. I wouldn't wait too long for the OEM because in the past 5 years, availability has gone down and the price has gone substantially up. When this happens, it's usually an indicator that someday soon, the OEM speaker may not be available anymore. At that point, you will never hear what the true sound is like..........which properly powered is like magic.

If you don't really understand what I mean by magic? You'll know it when you hear it. I know this because I have.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:09 pm

Who knows? It might sound great, or great to you. All I can tell you is that it wasn't what the designer intended.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Asoundpainter

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate the information. I still have the 6 in need of refoaming so maybe one day , ahem... James I believe is looking into this .. I'll refoam the originals. Until then I'm pretty stoked with temp fix. Gonna give these a few days to settle in and find their stride ! Then who knows?
Next

Return to Carver Speakers