FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Best way to pack AL-III's

<<

darth

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Best way to pack AL-III's

I'm moving across the country very soon and I'd really like my AL-III's to survive. What is the best way to pack them for transport? I don't have any of the original packing materials. Thanks!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Re: Best way to pack AL-III's

go to Lowe's or Home Depot, in the packing section. Get two rolls of the blue high-density foam (it's about a foot wide, maybe 2 feet), a large roll of bubble wrap, the big industrial roll of plastic wrap (like a 2-foot roll of Saran Wrap on a big stick), and a large roll of duct tape. You'll also want at least 3 ratcheting ties (like you tie down motorcycles, lawn mowers, etc. on a trailer).

First, cut the blue foam into sections large enough to wrap around the base twice, the top of the bottom enclosure twice, and the very top of the "wing" twice, then wrap around the edges & duct tape into place. Next, lay the speakers GENTLY on a bed or couch with the large end our about 16 inches or so, then begin wrapping with the bubble wrap. You want to do so in such a way the the blue foam is wrapped around the bottom edge AND side at the same time. Wrap tightly, overlapping & working your way up the speaker. When you have the bottom wrapped, place the speaker upright again & continue wrapping all the way up. Overlap enough to provide good bubble coverage. Once you completely cocooned the speaker, duct tape top & bottom well. Next, do the same thing again with the plastic wrap. The first speaker will be practice, the second you'll have a better idea what you're doing~

Wrap in a moving blanket & duct tape it tight. You can place them together face-to-face with pillows between them & use ratcheting ties to hold them together--make sure the ratchet is not on the EDGE anywhere or it will mess up the wood edge. You can lay them down before putting them together & transport on their sides face-to-face. I've transported mine three times over several hundred miles like this in the back of a pickup, in a Ford Probe (!), and in a minivan.

Hope that makes sense--it's late & I'm tired~
Last edited by TNRabbit on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:21 pm

Yeah!!! what rabbit said!
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:24 pm

where do you live -

maybe you should just sell to me cheap and get new ones when you arrive. O:)
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:23 am

You make one post, I answer you with a novel, and you disappear without so much as a thank you....

??? :-s
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:26 am

TNRabbit wrote:You make one post, I answer you with a novel, and you disappear without so much as a thank you....

??? :-s

Yeah.... what the Rabbit said!
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

darth

Post Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:40 am

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. The foam padding ritual rabbit suggests should work great. I'll know in a week whether it worked or not. Thanks for the info.

Return to Carver Speakers