FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:31 am

Appogee Duettas- Carver AL clones ??

<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Appogee Duettas- Carver AL clones ??

Just saw these and they looked strangely familiar! :?

http://www.avguide.com/blog/high-end-au ... ical-brain

Anyone know how these compare with ALs ?? :-k

p1050982522-4.jpg
p1050982522-4.jpg (278.67 KiB) Viewed 760 times
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Appogee Duettas- Carver AL clones ??

Dude; Apogees came LONG before the Amazings...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:38 pm

Never knew! They sure look similar! :-"
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:57 pm

And they are harder to drive, dipping down to 1 ohm, maybe lower.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:45 pm

How tall are they? 3 feet?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:49 pm

If I remember correctly they are all ribbon no cone woofers. They are also very power hungry.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:59 pm

treitz3 wrote:How tall are they? 3 feet?

About 5 feet, IIRC.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:36 am

Snoop65 wrote:If I remember correctly they are all ribbon no cone woofers. They are also very power hungry.

My Pair was more Power Thirsty then Hungry :-k
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:45 pm

F1nut wrote:
treitz3 wrote:How tall are they? 3 feet?

About 5 feet, IIRC.
Hmmm, that pic is deceiving. It looks like they are a lot smaller just based upon the CD case and all of the equipment on the apparent "upper level". I didn't factor that into the equation. Thank you Jesse.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:12 pm

I know this is an older post, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I have had 3 sets of Apogee planar ribbon speakers - the Caliper, the Stage and the Duetta Signature. I have to tell you, these are GREAT sounding speakers. Sonically, they exceed anything else I've ever owned. My criteria is the most realistic, and lifelike sound, not the best bass, dynamic slam, or highs, etc. i.e., the ones which make you believe there are no speakers in the room. So open and sweet in every frequency range! The bass is vastly superior to Magnepans, or, (I'm sorry) carver ALS, Platinum's, etc. The mids blend seamlessly with the bass, and the highs are very very good, although not quite up to the bass/midrange. Even there, the highs exceed just about anything else you'll hear, excluding Diamond tweeters or similar cutting edge stuff.
They are also FRAGILE, and HEAVY, and construction of the outer frame does little to protect those so easily destroyed drive units. Furthermore, they do require amplifiers that can handle low impedance and have lots and lots of current capability. On top of that, they are unfortunately easily over driven and the aluminum grids on the planar bass driver fail from metal fatigue. Once those are damaged, it costs several THOUSAND,( maybe $ 5000(?) bucks to have them shipped out and repaired.I compromised and always ran mine actively crossed over to transmission loaded woofers at 60 hz. or so. The Apogee's actually still sounded better by themselves, but it did cut down significantly on the ribbon excursions with low bass.

In other words, these are for the wealthy, and all others should stay away from them rather then torture themselves once they've heard them.

Return to Carver Speakers