<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:34 am

Re: Awful Smell From My Amazings

tah800 wrote:So how would I check it to see if it's dead or not

Art- give me a call.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:33 am

multi meter
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:55 am

Guys, Art is completely ignorant (as in uneducated) when it comes to this stuff. You have to spell it out specifically or tell him to hire the guy that re-wired his speakers to come do it~ :D

Art, give me a call when you borrow that multi-meter & I'll talk you through it. :-"

Take pics of the crossovers now so we can compare any differences from the "before" pics. I still think you may have melted a voicecoil or two.....or four.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:30 pm

I still think you may have melted a voicecoil or two.....or four.

I also think this...... :(
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:23 pm

tah800 wrote:So how would I check it to see if it's dead or not
Cut one end of the lead and OHM it out. See if it is still within tolerance. Having a MM will help you tremendously in determining what the actual issue is.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:46 pm

Cut into the wire leading to the capacitor. Sounds like something I don't want to get into. How would you repair the break. Think I'll get someone with some expertise before
I get into that. I think it's probably the voice coils in the speakers. Bought these babies over 20yrs ago. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start replacing some of them anyway.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:55 pm

I take it then that you don't have a soldering iron either. If you don't have either, then I would get someone locally that does and is willing to help or be prepared to replace things that may not need replacing. That can add up to more than if you had [or purchased] the equipment to diagnose the issue to begin with. :wink:

Soldering iron, wick or a solder sucker would work just as good with a MM to get the same results.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Yes I have soldering equipment. Copper pipe no problem. Soldering tiny little wires not a good idea. Tried it once not a pretty sight.I follow the old saying "A Good man knows his limitations."Practising on my favorite set of speakers, not a real good idea.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Fair enough. At least you are man enough to tell the truth. One thing I would suggest would be to contact Rolland at High Tech Audio. His information can be found in the repair section of the forum. IIRC, he rebuilds crossovers for around $150-170.00 each. Please don't hold me to it as I was passed this information two or three years ago and he may or may not still be doing it and / or the prices may have changed. It's a start though.

What plans do you currently have to correct the situation?

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:29 am

Think I've found my problem. The top speaker in each of my originals is making an awful sound so I'm sure they're cooked. Pushing them from the middle to test for noise doesn't always work. The 2 sounded ok when I pushed in the center of them. However, when I pushed on the inside edge they really made a scraping sound. I think even the good ones will make a little noise when you touch them on the inside edge but not like the two I found to be bad. Anyway I emailed Dynavox and inquired about ordering more than one. I got an answer an it said Ada Lin your order> Here is the reply Hi, Art:

Don't worry. We will cancel the first order. If the shipping address is correct, I will email you the total amount of your order including shipping next Monday.

Usually, we offer discount for the order of 8pcs. ($55/ea) For 4pcs, I can offer you $60/pc.

Best Regards,

Ada

This email didn't have any references to Dynavox and was written in green lettering. The title just said Ada Lin -Your order. The deal looks really good. Any of you ever get a reply from someone called Ada Lin. Just want to make sure I'm sending my money to dynavox. Art
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Art,

To perform the push test, you have to push in the center area only. Pushing on the edges will always result in a scraping sound. I seriously doubt that your woofers have a problem. The resistor(s) on the crossovers are far more likely to be the problem.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

kingman

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Soldering tiny little wires not a good idea
...practice on wire for a couple hours until you get better. I couldn't soldier either until my friend gave me a crash course, not to mention a kick ass soldiering iron. "Tin" the wire is the key and keep it clean and free of oil!!!! Also you will need a pair of precision clips to cut off excess soldier.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:38 pm

Hey Jesse, Two of the woofers really sound terrible when I play music through them especially anything with a lot of bass in it. Pretty sure they're cooked. If I push in hard on them to stop them moving the other three sound fine. Probably will order 4 more and keep 2 for spares. If I get 4 it'll be 60 bucks apiece. I'll still probably get killed on shipping as they're coming all the way from California. I know they were looking for 35 bucks to ship one. probably still a bargain considering what you pay for one woofer on a high end speaker. Just for interests sake what would I hear if the crossovers had been damaged??? Art
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Same exact thing, depending on what went wrong with the X-over. Maybe more, maybe less. Speakers have a way of "fucking" with the diagnosis if you are just doing it by ear. There is a way and a process, but at the end of the day, ears alone can not diagnose what may be wrong with a particular speaker unless your experience is vast with speaker issues.

The best thing is to diagnose the electronic way, if nothing mechanical seems to be the issue.

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Let me ask you this....when you are pushing in the middle of the speaker of the top two woofers, the power to the system is off. Correct?

PreviousNext

Return to Carver Speakers