FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Soldering question

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Soldering question

Getting ready to rewire my spare set of platinums. Do you need any kind of special solder.I recall some places selling special solder for use in accoustical applications. Should I be looking into that??? Art
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Soldering question

I would use silver solder....normal flux.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Cardas Quad-Eutectic solder, none better.

http://www.soniccraft.com/products/conn ... cardas.htm
Last edited by F1nut on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:48 pm

I've got a couple rules of thumb I use. I use silver solder in low voltage/current signal path connections, like op-amps and the feeding connections. I use PbSn for power applications. I don't use lead-free solder because it doesn't melt right (that's just me). You are right in the middle. You are pushing some voltage and current, but it is the signal path. What I would do in this case is ask if this is a piece I plan to keep forever and if so, spring for high silver content solder. I have some 16 gauge 7% Ag solder I use on output device leads and binding posts. The problem using it is that you need to solder at much higher temperatures (like over 400ºC) for it to flow right, so don't dawdle while you have the iron on the component. Use alligator clips for heat sinks. Watch those ribbon leads. If you're gonna flip it later, use regular solder. That's what's in there now. I've never heard of acoustic solder.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

TNRabbit

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:39 pm

BillD wrote:The problem using it is that you need to solder at much higher temperatures (like over 400ºC) for it to flow right, so don't dawdle while you have the iron on the component. Use alligator clips for heat sinks.

I absolutely agree with Bill; clip heat sinks work WONDERS for reducing heat transfer. They're REALLY good a keeping the heat from melting speaker wire insulation.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Return to Carver Speakers