It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:30 pm

Finally did it

<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:38 am

Re: Finally did it

weitrhino wrote:Skip,

How many times have you popped caps in your Plats? Your opening post kinda leads me to believe this has been a problem for you. I know about the one time at the 2008 fest, but has this been an issue for you with stock rated and branded caps?

Twice. Both times at a Fest. It's always the 150uf100V cap that blows. Bob said to step up the voltage rating of the cap and the problem should end. The new caps are 400V, so I should have no worries. Well, at least no worries about caps, with the extra wattage the caps will pass I might start blowing woofers and ribbons next.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:47 pm

skip wrote: Hadn't planned to, didn't know they would degrade over time. Think I should while I'm in there? What would be a good brand to use? How about the induction coils? Those might be rather hard to find I imagine.

You should absolutely upgrade the resistors. It is not a matter of degradation, it's a matter of the crappy stock high watt inductive resistors. Upgrading them will result in a very noticeable improvement.

The schematic I have for the standard Plat's shows the following, per speaker:

(4) 18 ohm 25 watt
(1) 7 ohm 7 watt
(2) 36 ohm 10 watt

As I'm sure you know, there are many revisions, so check your crossovers before ordering anything.

Anyway, for the 18 ohm, 25 watt resistors you will need to replace them with Mills non-inductive 18 ohm, 50 watt resistors available here, http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_mills_mrc.html

For the 7 watt and 10 watt resistors, replace them with Mills non-inductive 12 watt resistors available here, http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors ... mra12.html

For the 7 ohm, use the 6.8 ohm, 12 watt as it's close enough.
For the 36 ohm, use two 18 ohm, 12 watt in series.

The inductors you would most likely have to have custom made. Northcreek would be able to handle that. I don't remember if the stock coils are metal (iron, steel laminate, ferrite) core or air core. There are advantages and disavantages to both types. One advantage with air cores is they don't saturate, one disadvanatge is they have a higher impedance. One advantage with metal cores is a lower resistance resulting in improved bass response, but they will saturate easier and will lower the over all impedance of the speaker, which very well could be a problem for your amp(s).

I'm going to suggest that you leave the inductors alone, at least for now.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:51 pm

I think you will find that the metal core inductors are typically used only on the low pass filter for the bass (look like little transformers). All the ribbon shaping and high pass filter inductors are air core.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Great stuff F1.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Yes that is some great information F1Nut and BillD! Don't you just love this forum, some very intelligent and knowledgeable people always seem to come through when you need answers. =D> Speaking of intelligent and knowledgeable people, has anyone seen Brock around lately? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that was a good one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:07 pm

I was suppose to hear from Brock last night, but nothing. I think he's so far down the rabbit hole with his new tube amp that we may not see him for awhile....LOL

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:12 pm

F1nut wrote:I was suppose to hear from Brock last night, but nothing. I think he's so far down the rabbit hole with his new tube amp that we may not see him for awhile....LOL

LOL! Or; I hate to say it, but we all heard about Carverfest and the Drunk Crazy Bitch. Maybe he is depressed from what he learned at the doctors office?? :lol:
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:45 pm

F1nut wrote:
I was suppose to hear from Brock last night, but nothing. I think he's so far down the rabbit hole with his new tube amp that we may not see him for awhile....LOL

LOL! Or; I hate to say it, but we all heard about Carverfest and the Drunk Crazy Bitch. Maybe he is depressed from what he learned at the doctors office?? :lol:

Report this post

whaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is HE pregnant........ :-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:17 pm

mbskeam wrote:
F1nut wrote:

Report this post

whaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is HE pregnant........ :-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFLMAO!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:52 am

Jag_97470 wrote:
mbskeam wrote:
F1nut wrote:

Report this post

whaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that was funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:47 am

F1,
Thanks again for the excellent advise. Just to be sure this novice understands, for two x-overs I will need:

(8) 18R/MRC50
(8) 18R/MRA-12
(2) 6R8/ MRA-12

Is that correct? Not sure how I can fit all of these caps and resistors on the existing board, but I'll figure something out.
Sasquatch

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:50 am

Hell, make a NEW BOARD~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:07 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Hell, make a NEW BOARD~

That's what I'll do if I can get the inductor coils off of the old one without destroying them. Of course that would mean I would have to read the schematic rather than replacing one part at a time into it's old position which is risky for an electronics idiot like myself.
Sasquatch

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:23 pm

skip wrote:F1,
Thanks again for the excellent advise. Just to be sure this novice understands, for two x-overs I will need:

(8) 18R/MRC50
(8) 18R/MRA-12
(2) 6R8/ MRA-12

Is that correct? Not sure how I can fit all of these caps and resistors on the existing board, but I'll figure something out.

That's it.

<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:35 am

F1nut wrote:
skip wrote:F1,

(8) 18R/MRC50
(8) 18R/MRA-12
(2) 6R8/ MRA-12

That's it.

Thank you kind sir.
Sasquatch

PreviousNext

Return to Carver Speakers