FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 pm

Cheap Tweak to try for Plat's next to walls

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:11 am

Cheap Tweak to try for Plat's next to walls

For the 16 to 18 years (since new) I've had my Plat's pulled out well into the room away from room boundaries. I have always had the liberty of placement in a fairly large area. From my experience, there is where they sounded best. I have always felt these puppies need room to breathe. They have served me very well as my main speakers and have stood the test of time. Recently, moved my Plats butting up against the wall on both sides of big screen for center channel duty with anticipation of new mains forthcoming. At first, I was disappointed & dumbed by the difference in sound. :( My vocals were non-distinct, fuzzy and basically sounded like "ass" to quote Treitz from an earlier post. Was it time to finally sell my beloved friends to someone who would position them in the correct arena where they would truly sing again away from the walls? Say it ain't say. :(

Get to the point Don and quit rambling! OK-Even though I have sound treatments at first order reflections, I thought I would try placement of my foam sound treatments directly to the back of my ribbons. I cut approx. 2 1/2 inch strips and placed them on the cloth material on the back. The cloth used on the Plat 4's and the foam soundproofing held together without even having to tape. Each strip was 12 inches long, therefore very little weight.

I sat down for a listen. I could not believe my ears. My vocals had never sounded better. Clear, precise, much more distinct and to my surprise sounded much louder. :shock: I immediately pulled out my sound meter to check the DB readings. Even though I would have sworn a several DB increase, the levels all around the 5 speakers were the same. I simply could not believe it! :rolleyes:

Then I popped in my reference DVD, the Eagles Farewell One, Live from Melbourne. 8-[ Wow, the vocals had never sounded better. However, because of their perceived increase in loudness, I dropped the DB level by 2 db's in reference to the mains and surrounds. In fact, when Terri heard the DVD playing from another part of the house, she walked in to listen, not knowing what I had done. After she sat down during a listen to "Cloudy Days", she said the DVD sounded different. I asked her what she meant and she said more pure. I asked better or worse. She said definetely better! The vocals were more "clear" to quote. :D

I don't know how this will work on mains pushed up close to a wall. However, very little, if any cost to try. You just may be surprised by the results. May try painters tape to hold soundproofing in place in the event the soundproofing material does not hold on it's own.
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Cheap Tweak to try for Plat's next to walls

Don how about a pic?
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Eddie,

Been barking orders to Matt, my son to do everything since I am down on my back. (you met him at Carverfest) His next immediate project is to solder in a meter bulb on the 400 X 7 I purchased today. (He actually drove to Orlando with my funds to meet up with seller) Then this weekend, he will pop out the TFM-75 and 806X in the HTR and we will test drive the Sunfire Cinema Sig. in their place.

To tell you the truth, I am amazed at the difference in the center channel. My center channel vocals have never sounded better. Tweak was so simple it is laughable. May or may not work on mains, but i don't know why not if they are close to wall. Reflecting back on the many reviews on the Plat 4's, I remember the Boston Audio Society reviewer mentioned he preferred the speaker with a sound absorbing pad behind the ribbons. I think the review was enclosed in Carver's white paper. When I feel better I will research. It is a cheap tweak to try and easy to undue without any damage to anything if it is not to your liking.

Eddie, PM your e-mail address and Terri can take pictures and send them to you by e-mail. She does not know how to download on forum, nor do I. Then if you don't mind posting on forum if you like.

Don

PM sent to Eddie
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:29 pm

I have a set of speaker lab ribbons, in the back, inside of this is a foam strip, I bet to allow the speaker to be placed closer to a wall..... :-k :-k :-k

I wonder what it would sound like with the foam , away from the wall..... :-k :-k :-k

I have added strips of felt to the backside of my ribbons, this helps with a few of the buzzes/slaps that you get as these age.....
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Mike,

Nothing lost, nothing gained. Give it a try and see if is to your liking. I only tried with Plat's right against wall. Worked miracles there as CC. Cheapo experiment.

Don
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:20 am

Eddie is so kind to agree to post up pictures of acoustic tweak for Plat's. =D> Terri sent pictures by e-mail to a few minutes ago.

Material is 1 inch pyramid acoustic foam. I had Matt remove wall acoustic treatment behind Plat's because we preferred the vocals with the acoustic foam directly behind the ribbons in my particular application.

Thanks,

Eddie
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:10 pm

Here we go Don!
Attachments
IMG_3806-R.jpg
IMG_3806-R.jpg (633.71 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Here is the rest!
Attachments
IMG_3808-R.jpg
IMG_3808-R.jpg (635.13 KiB) Viewed 650 times
IMG_3809-R.jpg
IMG_3809-R.jpg (714.34 KiB) Viewed 650 times
IMG_3810-R.jpg
IMG_3810-R.jpg (650.33 KiB) Viewed 650 times
IMG_3811-R.jpg
IMG_3811-R.jpg (623.38 KiB) Viewed 650 times
IMG_3812-R.jpg
IMG_3812-R.jpg (804.8 KiB) Viewed 650 times

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks Eddie.

The sound proofing material used was very reasonable and purchased from the Foam Factory. I purchased 1 inch pyramid style, which was very light and adherred right to the backing material on the back of the Plat's.

Initially, I also installed at 2nd and 3rd reflections, but made the room was acoustically dead. Ended up removing much of what I put up. Another issue for another subject under room treatments. Back to Tweak!

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/acousticf ... cfoam.html

No affliliation.

Matt took down Acoustic foam behind Plat's and he attached the small 2 1/2" or so wide panels directly to the backing material. This method provided better CC vocals. No sticky required, just held in place by two materials touching each other.

Anyhoo, cheap tweak to try if Plat's or ALS or very close to wall. You may or may not prefer, but nothing to lose.
Sure worked for me.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:29 pm

cool, thanks for the pics.....
I have to ask....
what line of work are you in?
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:55 am

Mike,

Current occupation: Aggravate Terri, my wife with OCCD! =D> Former occupation: Owned a small chain of convenience stores. Prefer the current over the former! :lol:
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:06 am

Wayne,

That is "your 75" under the Big Screen. :shock: :^o Not! :rolleyes:
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 am

Don wrote:Wayne,

That is "your 75" under the Big Screen. :shock: :^o Not! :rolleyes:

I may have to make a deal with Matt since you are continuously badgering him with do this do that!!! :-k :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to Carver Speakers