FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:45 pm

Amazing Originals - 1 woofer is buzzing/ratting

<<

Gpowered

Newbie

Posts: 12

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:32 am

Amazing Originals - 1 woofer is buzzing/ratting

Hey guys! Got the crossover fixed thanks to James and the rest of you guys - now on to the next small issue. On one of my woofers - it is the 3rd one down on the same speaker as w/ the previous x-over issue, I noticed only at certain low frequencies and a little above moderate volumes (maybe 89-90db), this woofer is ratting and buzzing and sounds as if it could be blown. But when I gently push on the woofer it feels like the rest of them so I am not sure. What is the best way to diagnose this and can the foil type woofers still be had new anywhere? I have been told that they are still around. Thanks in advance!
<<

Eddie

User avatar

Eddie The Knife

Posts: 1710

Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 7:03 pm

Location: Valhalla! Expect me when you see me!

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:11 am

Re: Amazing Originals - 1 woofer is buzzing/ratting

You can call Ada at Dynavox/Orevox , or call Beemers (Tom) on this form he would have a few used ones!

http://www.dynavox.com/product_info.php ... ducts_id=4
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Gpowered

Newbie

Posts: 12

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:40 am

Re: Amazing Originals - 1 woofer is buzzing/ratting

Eddie wrote:You can call Ada at Dynavox/Orevox , or call Beemers (Tom) on this form he would have a few used ones!

http://www.dynavox.com/product_info.php ... ducts_id=4


Thanks Eddie!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Now, how would you suggest I go about testing to ensure it is in fact a blown woofer? Like I said it seems to play ok except for those certain low frequencies. Could it be that it is on its way out and just hasn't gone all the way yet?
<<

Eddie

User avatar

Eddie The Knife

Posts: 1710

Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 7:03 pm

Location: Valhalla! Expect me when you see me!

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:45 am

Re: Amazing Originals - 1 woofer is buzzing/ratting

I move the cone back and forth to see if it is rubbing on the coil and put a 9volt battery to the leads to the speaker if it does not move it is gone!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Gpowered

Newbie

Posts: 12

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:00 am

Re: Amazing Originals - 1 woofer is buzzing/ratting

Eddie wrote:I move the cone back and forth to see if it is rubbing on the coil and put a 9volt battery to the leads to the speaker if it does not move it is gone!


Got it! Can I unsolder the leads and just run 3 woofers until I get it fixed or will it even work that way?
<<

TNRabbit

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 13337

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am

Location: TN Native Languishing in VA

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:31 am

Re: Amazing Originals - 1 woofer is buzzing/ratting

Gpowered wrote:
Eddie wrote:You can call Ada at Dynavox/Orevox , or call Beemers (Tom) on this form he would have a few used ones!

http://www.dynavox.com/product_info.php ... ducts_id=4


Thanks Eddie!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Now, how would you suggest I go about testing to ensure it is in fact a blown woofer? Like I said it seems to play ok except for those certain low frequencies. Could it be that it is on its way out and just hasn't gone all the way yet?


Sounds like it's on it's way out. Inspect around the foam surround & see if it's coming unglued or breaking down. Also, it's not uncommon for the voice coil to overheat & change shape (oval -vs- round) & start rubbing. It's also possible the spider is coming apart & allowing the voice coil to rub at high volume. The only way to know for sure is to inspect it all very carefully. It's possible to fix if it's in the surround or spider.
TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Gpowered

Newbie

Posts: 12

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Amazing Originals - 1 woofer is buzzing/ratting

TNRabbit wrote:
Gpowered wrote:
Eddie wrote:You can call Ada at Dynavox/Orevox , or call Beemers (Tom) on this form he would have a few used ones!

http://www.dynavox.com/product_info.php ... ducts_id=4


Thanks Eddie!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Now, how would you suggest I go about testing to ensure it is in fact a blown woofer? Like I said it seems to play ok except for those certain low frequencies. Could it be that it is on its way out and just hasn't gone all the way yet?


Sounds like it's on it's way out. Inspect around the foam surround & see if it's coming unglued or breaking down. Also, it's not uncommon for the voice coil to overheat & change shape (oval -vs- round) & start rubbing. It's also possible the spider is coming apart & allowing the voice coil to rub at high volume. The only way to know for sure is to inspect it all very carefully. It's possible to fix if it's in the surround or spider.


Thanks Rabbit! I will check all of these things. The other question I had that may have got lost in the mix, is it possible to desolder that woofer and just run the 3 good woofers in that speaker until it is repaired or no?
<<

Eddie

User avatar

Eddie The Knife

Posts: 1710

Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 7:03 pm

Location: Valhalla! Expect me when you see me!

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Amazing Originals - 1 woofer is buzzing/ratting

I would not run it on three!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Gpowered

Newbie

Posts: 12

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Amazing Originals - 1 woofer is buzzing/ratting

Eddie wrote:I would not run it on three!


10:4!
<<

Gpowered

Newbie

Posts: 12

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Post Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Re: Amazing Originals - 1 woofer is buzzing/ratting

TNRabbit wrote:Sounds like it's on it's way out. Inspect around the foam surround & see if it's coming unglued or breaking down. Also, it's not uncommon for the voice coil to overheat & change shape (oval -vs- round) & start rubbing. It's also possible the spider is coming apart & allowing the voice coil to rub at high volume. The only way to know for sure is to inspect it all very carefully. It's possible to fix if it's in the surround or spider.


Indeed, it appears to be a bad voice coil. The good news is it appears to just be the 1 woofer I was referring to. I determined this by holding that woofer in while playing the low bass, and the buzzing/bottoming out sound went away immediately. I pulled that woofer out and inspected it carefully. The spider looks fine and foam surround looks perfect - everything is in tact as it should be. But when I press on the woofer cone it does make a squeeky sound and when I tested it from the amp with some speaker wire it was fartin' all over the place. If none of you guys have an extra woofer lying around, I'll go ahead and order one from Dynavox.

Return to Carver Speakers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2011 phpBB Group.