FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:34 am

ok I need help with my Amazing Silvers

<<

speedracer

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:19 pm

ok I need help with my Amazing Silvers

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) i Have a Realy nice pair of Amazing Silvers that the foam is gone on the woofers,Tus saying there is no refoaming kit made for them,And everyone is saying to replace the woofer drivers Ok I get that part Sooooooo were do I get them ADA at Evox says that they are out, Soooooooo now were do I go and get them. Help Help Help me please.
Attachments
Carver speakers 005.JPG
Carver speakers 005.JPG (2.88 MiB) Viewed 612 times
Go Speedracer Go Speedracer Goooooooooo
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: ok I need help with my Amazing Silvers

Replacement woofers are available from (I think) orovox.

I'm sure someone will respond with the info. I replaced 4 of mine & they work great.
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:51 pm

I had the same problem and ordered all new replacements, plus I refinshed the wood and put new material on the grills worth every penny. Here is a link for the speakers http://www.dynavox.com/product_info.php ... ducts_id=5 just copy and paste into your browser. If you have any questions just ask.
Ray.
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:34 pm

wrstps wrote:I had the same problem and ordered all new replacements, plus I refinshed the wood and put new material on the grills worth every penny. Here is a link for the speakers http://www.dynavox.com/product_info.php ... ducts_id=5 just copy and paste into your browser. If you have any questions just ask.
Ray.

and you did a GREAT job too Ray! Thanks.
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

speedracer

Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:54 am

:( :( :( OMG they want 60 bucks for them now and they don't have the woofer in stock Crap NOW what do I Doooooooooo ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:23 pm

I would call them on Monday and see when the next order is going to arrive. There was a discount that was available if you ordered them and were a member of their face book page. Let me know before you start taking them apart I have some time savers for you.
Ray
<<

speedracer

Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks Ray I think that Im going to do what you did and sand and redo the wood on them the ribons look like in great shape, So any help that you could give on them please let me know. Tom O:) O:) O:)
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:42 am

First off take lots of pictures of the wireing to each of the speakers all six, and close up and put a piece of tape with the letters L or R and a number 1 to 3 so that it shows up in the pic. You will notice that all of the speakers have a red mark on one of the terminals as you unsolder the connections tape the wires together and mark them red or plus and the other minus So for each speaker you will have taped the pos together and the neg together. Unsolder from the bottom and work your way up removing the speakers. .... When you resolder them back in start with the top and work your way down. Now back to removing the cross over, it is held in by a few screws. There is no need to unsolder anything else when you remove the ribbons all of the wireing will follow them. Be very carefull and put them in a safe place and have help holding the ribbons in place while removing the screws. Now for the refinishing... the wood is not solid it is a veneer you want ro use a finish remover first, then lightly sand ,you can use an electric sander (small) not a belt sander you have about 3/16 to work with. Save some room to use 220 grit last. Pick your stain and finish I would recommend a hand rubbed finish not one applied with a brush and 5 to 7 coats I will help you here later once you figure what type of stain you are going to use. This will show you what I did . viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12210
<<

speedracer

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:29 pm

WOW!!!!! =D> =D> =D> Ray your turned out great nice job. But before i can do anything i need to get the woofer drivers first
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:35 pm

If you use stripper to remove a finish and the wood is in good condition, that is it doesn't need repairs, there is no reason in the world that you have to sand anything. After stripping, clean the wood really well with mineral spirits and let dry for at least 24 hours before applying stain and/or a clear coat.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:08 pm

F1nut wrote:If you use stripper to remove a finish and the wood is in good condition, that is it doesn't need repairs, there is no reason in the world that you have to sand anything. After stripping, clean the wood really well with mineral spirits and let dry for at least 24 hours before applying stain and/or a clear coat.

I agree, but you can get those sponge sand blocks cheap, and take off any residue/etc with little effort.

Most people don't have the patient to stain well even though it is easier than painting.

Put on THIN coats, and don't be afraid to brush it down with the sponge blocks between coats.

THIN COATS --- =D>
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Now that's the best use of a "stripper" that I've heard of since the guy who, when propositioned by a prostitute with the line "I'll do anything for $100" replied, "Paint my house".
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:21 pm

BillD wrote:Now that's the best use of a "stripper" that I've heard of since the guy who, when propositioned by a prostitute with the line "I'll do anything for $100" replied, "Paint my house".

Not sure I understand -

Using a good paint/varnish/etc remover does no harm to the wood, and blasting away at it with a sander is more work and can destroy.
Like I said, you still need to sand after that, but less.
It is just a good way to go.
<<

speedracer

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:22 pm

So what I think that I will do is take it apart while Im waiting for the woofers to come if they ever come ](*,) ](*,) Blaaaaaaa . The wood is in realy great shape as you can tell from the pics. I can't wait to get these speakers up and running from what ive heard on this Carver forum the sound there name Amazing, And if they sound as great as my Carver amps do them Zimmmmm Boommmmmm Wowwwwwww.
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:08 pm

The wood is not wood it is veneer be very carefull I refinish products for a part time job. listen to what I say if you need help let me know. After using a stripper the grain is exposed and must be closed.
Ray
Last edited by wrstps on Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Carver Speakers