FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:59 pm

ok I need help with my Amazing Silvers

<<

wrstps

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: ok I need help with my Amazing Silvers

You must bring the wood to a point to accept the the stain it should be perfect... no acceptions and for those who do not agree get out now! this is furniture. you may be great with the eletronics but the wood work is my area please let me help.
Ray
<<

speedracer

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Yes I need help with them I work and race Bikes I have no clue about woodworking
Go Speedracer Go Speedracer Goooooooooo
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:59 pm

wrstps wrote:You must bring the wood to a point to accept the the stain it should be perfect... no acceptions and for those who do not agree get out now! this is furniture. you may be great with the eletronics but the wood work is my area please let me help.
Ray

I make a living restoring fine antique furniture. The panels have already been sanded at the factory, they do not need to be again after stripping. Besides, sanding is not what allows wood to accept a uniform color. In fact, the use of pigmented wiping stains is a sure fire way to not achieve a uniform color. That is done with dyes, glazes and toners.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

speedracer

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:09 pm

I know were i can get Stripers but i don't think the wife would go for that besides she has a very sexy body Ha, So what wood striper should i use on the Carvers :-s :-s
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:17 pm

The original Strypeeze will do a great job on the lacquer clear coat.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

speedracer

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:40 pm

How do you think that they would look in cherry finish with white around the ribbon :-k :-k
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:54 pm

F1nut wrote:
wrstps wrote:You must bring the wood to a point to accept the the stain it should be perfect... no acceptions and for those who do not agree get out now! this is furniture. you may be great with the eletronics but the wood work is my area please let me help.
Ray

I make a living restoring fine antique furniture. The panels have already been sanded at the factory, they do not need to be again after stripping. Besides, sanding is not what allows wood to accept a uniform color. In fact, the use of pigmented wiping stains is a sure fire way to not achieve a uniform color. That is done with dyes, glazes and toners.

YES --
F1 is right.
A cheap sponge block for knocking off the dust after each coat is all the non-pro needs.
In the old days we only had things you had to heat in a bucket.
Today, there are great products out there if you just read, take your time and have confidence.
No way you can do what F1 does, but you can do a good job.

F1 is the man - \:D/
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:09 pm

speedracer wrote:How do you think that they would look in cherry finish with white around the ribbon :-k :-k

Don't try to make oak look like something it is not otherwise it will end up looking like shit.

<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:59 pm

F1nut wrote:
speedracer wrote:How do you think that they would look in cherry finish with white around the ribbon :-k :-k

Don't try to make oak look like something it is not otherwise it will end up looking like shit.

I re-did my Oak AL III's to a Red Oak - I kinda like it but everyone else thinks there shit so F1nut may be Right!

Here it is to the left: You can see more here too:

viewtopic.php?f=116&t=6771&start=30

BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

speedracer

Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Ray well should i just leave the finish just the way it is or re do them It looks like its going to be awhile befor I get the woofer drivers becase nobody has them or they are out. I did see weere CCFOODG on this forum was selling a Amazing Silver kit but I can not get in touch with him Blaaaaaaa ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) .
<<

wrstps

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Have you called to find out when there will be more available? I would start the project of refinishing about 10 days prior to the replacements arriving. Even if you only remove the old varnish and go natural they will look better. I changed mine to a dark oak to match the furniture in my living/listening room. BTW I just sent my ribbons to James for repair. When these get back both speakers have been redone from top to bottom including the cross overs. below is a cost factor

New Woofers = 430.00
Ribbons Rebuilt = 800.00
X-overs = 170.00
refinish material = 55.00
Speaker cloth = 63.00

Pissed off Wife = Priceless!!!!!!!!
Last edited by wrstps on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:53 pm

wrstps wrote:
Pissed off Wife = Priceless!!!!!!!!

You got that right. If Momma ain't happy, no one is! :shock: :shock:
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Hang on a minute speedracer. I just took a look at the picture you posted, other than a slight scuff on one edge I don't see anything glaringly bad that would require them to be refinished. A simple restoration of the original finish is all that is needed. Take them to your local professional, he should be able to spray on a few new coats of lacquer for not a lot of money.

<<

speedracer

Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:42 am

:-$ :-$ Hey #1 Nut thats wha my wife said too that they look fine, WOW that much to rebuild them my wife is not going to be happy about that at all Ha Ha.
<<

wrstps

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:10 pm

I agree with alot thats being said in this post however after time the finish that was put on the wood has become yellowed and does not look like oak more like baby shit yellow. Redoing the finish will not hurt anything even if you just remove the current finish and redo it you wil be happy. The problem is the amount of work involved. Give it some thought and do what you feel is best.
Ray
Previous

Return to Carver Speakers