FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Silver speaker Question

<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Silver speaker Question

Hi all, I was just emailed by the Sauters that my ribbons for my Silvers are on there way home, however while at a friends home this week, he also has the same speakers, I noticed that his ribons produced more punch, not a lot just enough to be noticed. I started looking around and found his ribbons had a material on the back side of the ribbons. Is this normal? I know its not because of his amp only about 130 watts. If this material is OEM where can I pick some up?

Ray
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Silver speaker Question

Are you talking about a heavy, felt material? It was used on some of the later models to reduce rear reflections somewhat. I have it on my AL-IIIs.

You can see it in this pic:

TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:06 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Are you talking about a heavy, felt material? It was used on some of the later models to reduce rear reflections somewhat. I have it on my AL-IIIs.

You can see it in this pic:

Yep. Have the same felt material on my Plat 4's.
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Thats it...I bought my silvers from a person here in Michigan and there was no felt on the back of the ribbons. I did notice some sticky tape along both sides of the ribbon rears. Guess I need to by some felt for the back.
Ray.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Yes, it's on the back of some ribbons to absorb some of the back firing and makes them a lot less sensitive to wall positioning and baffle edge cancellation. Some people add "really thick" padding back there, rather than the simple felt that's there.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:49 pm

BillD wrote:Yes, it's on the back of some ribbons to absorb some of the back firing and makes them a lot less sensitive to wall positioning and baffle edge cancellation. Some people add "really thick" padding back there, rather than the simple felt that's there.

I can vouch for the thick padding. When I moved my Plat's against the wall to use as center channels, sounded much better to my ears with a 1 inch think sound absorbing material attached to the back vs just the felt material. Vocals much cleaner and more distinct. Here is where I discuss: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12878

Nothing to lose by trying. Try it temporarily to see if you like the effect or not. I remember a reviewer from BAS actually preferred the Plat's with a sound absorbing pad behind the ribbons.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:55 pm

I would assume any. Felt from a local fabric store would work just fine.
I have never seen anyone that has OEM felt for them, and we have all the OEM carver speaker parts.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:31 pm

I remember a post somewhere about diffraction material that was expensive and I blew it off, but if felt can do what I heard I'm in!!!!
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:58 am

This made me take a look at mine because I thought I remembered something on the back of the ribbons.

On one I just see 4 pieces of tape that may have had little foam piece on it but the other has nothing.

But then these are the update to the 60" ribbons and I still have the original ribbons in my collection (with the X-overs)

I should probably bring them in the house instead of out in my storage room :?
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:21 am

That foam on the back of the Ribbons rot fast. The Plat's had two pieces with one at the top of the ribbon and one at the bottom - I removed what was left one My set long ago.
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

Return to Carver Speakers