FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:27 am

AL III Plus questions

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:42 am

Re: AL III Plus questions

We have a set of AL-IIIs and one of the toppers is loose...
If you want, I can cut you a set out of 1/2" black PVC next time I run my machine??
A quick easy part.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:20 am

Toy Maker is GREAT at fabrication! Timely shipping....not so good....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

aceinc

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Well, Toy Maker, I would appreciate that.

What would the cost be?

At the moment, I am not in a big rush.

In case anyone is interested, My MO is to look around at various places for used gear that I can try in my system to make it better. I don't have mega bucks so I try to get things at reasonable prices. If it works better than the current piece in my system I replace my current piece and sell it. If not I sell the new piece hopefully for as much, or a bit more than I paid.

Now that I have the AL III Pluses operational, I will be comparing them to my long standing mains, a pair of KEF 105.4. I really like the 105.4's they sound really good. The fellow that helped me with the repair on the AL III plus ribbon is an analog guy vinyl, tube whole hog. Every time he comes over and listens to the 105.4's he falls in love again, even though I am driving them with a sony BluRay through a Pioneer Elite VS94-TXH receiver and a Emotiva XPA-2 amp.

So after I compare the speakers in my listening room, one pair will probably go.

At the moment my main system is a home theater system with the pieces mentioned above, an XPA-3 for my Center and rears, two channels from the receiver driving my surrounds. My center channel I designed & built myself, my rears are a bookshelf kit from North Creek Audio, my surrounds are a pair of Mirage Omni 260s. My subwoofer system starts with a Rythmik Audio DS15 in a sealed 3 cu. ft. enclosure, and has two helpers that are Titanic 10" in sealed .8 cu ft. enclosures driven by another Emotiva XPA-2.

I also have a lot other stuff laying about much to my wife's chagrin, that I need to move out the door to make room for more toys.

Paul
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:25 pm

I also have a lot other stuff laying about much to my wife's chagrin, that I need to move out the door to make room for more toys.

Paul

You want get any encouragement around here to get rid of equipment. We all have OCCD and just add more living space to make space for new toys. :lol: :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:54 pm

No cost... Just pay the shipping bill.
I'll take the one we have to work, and next time I run the black PVC, I'll make a couple.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

aceinc

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:33 am

Toy Maker, what part of the world are you from? I live near Ft. Lauderdale.

This is not a solicitation to sell anything, but some of the goodies that I have that are not being used include;

Speakers;
5 Working KEF 101/2, 1 with a damaged woofer.
2 Working KEF Q 65.2
2 Working JBL Arc30
2 Working ADS L980

Tape;
1 Working Nakamichi 680zx cassette
1 Untested Teac A6300 10" reel
1 Untested dual tape deck, I don't know the make or model.

CD;
1 6-pack player maybe Sharp, untested.

Receiver;
Pioneer SX 1010 tested and working.

Components;
1 NAD tuner I don't know the make or model.
1 NAD 2 channel preamp, I don't know the make or model.
1 NAD 2200 Power Envelope Amplifier.

The items where "I don't know the make or model." it is because I am at work and they are at home, and I am doing this from memory.

At some point I will post this stuff on Craigslist or Audiogon, but I am a bit lazy.

Paul
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Hell, U'r only about 2-3 hours away... I'm in Fort Myers.
My daughter's over in Ft.Laud with her mother, she comes and goes on Greyhound every weekend.

U'r more than welcome to come and hang for a day if you like..
If I know when U'r coming, I can get the part set up, and you can come watch the machines if you like.
Here's a link to one of my sites, that has a bunch of the stuff we've gone over the years.
http://www.radicalrouting.com/abilities.htm It's a little outdated, but you'll get an idea of what we do.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Damn, James; your spider isn't on that page~ :(
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

aceinc

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 pm

I actually live pretty far West in Broward right off I75. So it's not far at all. I have a guy that I went to church with when I was a kid who is now a FB friend, that I need to visit in Ft Myers, maybe I'll go visiting. He teaches computers at a religious school in Ft. Myers.

My wife will be going to Tampa in a week or so for a baby shower, that might be a good time for me to go, if it isn't too soon.

Paul
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Whenever you want to come over, just call me a day in advance, I never know what's going on day to day over here.

Yeah, the spider's on the main page... http://www.radicalrouting.com/default2.htm

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

aceinc

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:18 pm

Has anyone bought replacement foam from this person?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carver-AL-III-Repla ... 43a615c12a

Also the base on one of the speakers is chewed up a bit. I was thinking of removing the bases and taking them to a company that works in granite and having a pair made out of 3/4" or thicker black granite. It may not make it sound any better, but it will probably look better and I won't have to worry about them getting scuffed up anymore. Any thoughts on this idea?

Paul
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:33 pm

IT MAY ACTUALLY SOUND BETTER AS THE WOOFER WILL HAVE A HARDER SURFACE TO BOUNCE IT'S SOUND OFF OT
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

TNRabbit

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:39 am

You'd have to be incredibly careful with a granite base; maybe use plastic washers with the bolts, too.

I removed the foam from my AL-IIIs entirely as I preferred the sound & look. There are before/after pics ariund here somwhere...maybe system profile.

If you have the fugly metal colored ribbons, they would need to be painted flat black~
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

kingman

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:48 am

aceinc wrote:Has anyone bought replacement foam from this person?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carver-AL-III-Repla ... 43a615c12a

Also the base on one of the speakers is chewed up a bit. I was thinking of removing the bases and taking them to a company that works in granite and having a pair made out of 3/4" or thicker black granite. It may not make it sound any better, but it will probably look better and I won't have to worry about them getting scuffed up anymore. Any thoughts on this idea?

Paul

Foam in mine looks more like black? His price is on target.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

aceinc

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:58 am

The ribbons in mine are that light-medium grey color, and look unfinished. The effort to remove, disassemble paint and reassemble the ribbons is more than I wish to do at the moment.

Regarding the bases, you are right, I would need to be careful. I suppose I could use Corian or an equivalent, which would be almost as durable, without the brittle nature of granite. Alternatively I could use granite, and buy some 1" x 4" hard wood make a frame and crossmembers out of it. Put a detail on the edge and use the cross member to counter sink the screw heads into. That might look good, protect the granite, and my floors.

Paul
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Speakers