Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:10 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:53 pm

Hehe..........
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

raytobe

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:48 pm

Just got my tracking number today for 6 of the WP 1220 for my Silvers. Had to wait a month and get on a list but can't wait to get them in. Been about 5 months since they have been played. During that time though I have added an additional TFM 42 and the original holographic control that was made for the Amazings. Can't wait to bridge the 42s and crank it up.
Wanted to say thanks to you guys for turning me on to this source.
<<

raytobe

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:15 pm

Speakers arrived today and just to give my impression-- they are *exact* replacements, the same in every detail as the originals. \:D/
<<

amulford

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:32 pm

They are the exact replacements. I replaced all of my Platinums woofers a little while back. Perfect drop ins. Man I love these speakers... \:D/
I don't wanna hear it...
I wanna feel it...
I want it to go right thru me....
<<

rallimike

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:11 pm

replacement woofers

I downloaded a test cd for base notes, and got some clicking and poor response on 1 speaker, so I plan to replace all woofers. Dynavox lists 2 speakers- the WP-1220 and the SW-1220FL. The WP is 14.92 ohms and the SW is 3.5 ohms.
I have the original Amazings that were updated to Platinums with a kit Carver offered. That kit contained new ribbons and cross overs, but not new woofers. I suspect that my woofers are different than the OEM Platinums.
Anyone have any guidance?
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:28 pm

SW-1220FL if I thinking right they are the original ALS's woofers but check the back of the woofer themselves for the number and check to make sure the lead wires are not shorting out on each of the woofers. You can ask some of the other guys on how to test your crossover to make sure it is ok too! Just my 2 cents! Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

fstik

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:35 pm

Rallimike,

If it were me, I would replace the woofers with the original SW-1220FL. Since the upgrade kit didn't bother to replace the woofers, and they sounded fine after the upgrade, I would be leary about changing the woofers out to the Plat (WP-1220) model. I'm curious to know if the upgrade crossover was made to accomodate the earlier woofer impedance. I have a call in to Mylinda at carveraudiorepair.com (?) and will post what I find out. Keep us posted!

Robert
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:56 pm

I downloaded a test cd for base notes, and got some clicking and poor response on 1 speaker

You got the wrong CD, you need one for BASS notes. \:D/

Anyway, you'll want the SW-1220FL woofers since yours were never replaced.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:41 am

Question: one upgrade I've read about for the AL-IIIs involves replacing the woofer with an aftermarket (Infinity, for example) car sub in place of the woofer. Could you not do the same for the Originals/Silvers/etc., wiring the 4-ohm speakers in series to maintain the 4-ohm resistance?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Ron Carter

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:43 am

In a word "NO"!!!! The woofers in the ALS are completely different from your typical Low Frequency Driver. There have been a few articles that describe the principal behind the speakers maybe someone here has an article.
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:48 am

Just replaced the woofers in my original Plats (not the Mk IV's) with the WP-1220 woofers. They were not "exact" duplicates of the originals. Mounting holes were very slightly different, probably 1/16" to 1/8" larger diameter to the center of the slots. The terminal posts were different too, only one ear per terminal vs. two ears per terminal on the originals. They are very slightly deeper than the originals too. The mounting screws fit tight but OK and other than a bit of difficulty attaching the two wires to the single post, all went well. Probably most of the difficulty in attaching the wiring was due to stepping up to 14ga. wire from what looked like 20ga original wire. They sound great after installation.
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:36 pm

-tried the ['smitty'dynavox] and ['infos' dynavox] = mail returned...called and got a 'miss person' and told them my ph # and e/mail......i needed [6] woofers and gave my zip.[this was fri at 1 pm eastern].....still nothing what gives with the new e/mail addy ??? ...anyways i'll try ALL next week for the WP-1220's......maybe 'they' don't work fridays or i got a 'new guy'.....or their gone fom the planet earth ????

-*EDIT...well started at 1pm fri, [08/17/07]...got the info, [reply] on tues will get the MO wed, [08/22/07] and send it out.[MAILED, money order 243.60 for 6 woofs]..hope these puppies have the same type of suspension/apearence/sound ?...best price in town, planet !!!...[their new e/mail addy is lolita@orevox.com ..]..i believe [dan ?] called me back, [could'nt hear or understand him very well ???]...anyways i'll keep ALL posted/edited on their sevice and products.....'hurry up and wait', [doper's time]

-the 'glue' is 'holding-up' perfectly...whoooaaa
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

audiophile101

TFM-55

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:19 am

I'm interested in getting a set of 8 of these for a project. If you guys finally get ahold of anybody and find out anything, please let me know. I will try myself and let you guys know what I find out. Thanks.

I sure hope they are still available.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:31 am

Audiophile101, re-read the thread. You will find the source, which type and all other information that you need located within this thread.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Speakers