FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:43 am

Platinum and Silver model woofers

<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Platinum woofers need re-foaming

Hi Everyone :D As you know from a new "FACE" I am new here and wanted to say HELLO.

I had my pair of CARVER Platinum's since new around 89 or so and never checked the woofers until
a few days ago when I heard noise from one of the woofers who's Foam Surround has rotten. The
rest look OK but they must be ready to turn to dust as well. I called orevox on new Woofers but
found them at $45 each now, So with shipping I am looking at $400 to replace woofers :shock: I do
not have that kind of money now so I was hoping someone can help with finding some new Foam
surrounds and I can just fix em my self! Are there any surrounds that will fit the woofers on these?

For now I will put white rubber on the foam to hold them-its kinda like liquid latex or rubber cement, it
will move free but bind the foam from falling to dust,,,Iv seen this done to new foam and it prolongs
its life far beyond it with out...
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Re: Platinum and Silver model woofers

Do an ebay search...tons of foam sellers there.
Ed
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:26 pm

Tried everyone on ebay with no luck inner is 8 1/2" outter is 11" the inner is flat not sloping...
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:37 pm

-1st, welcome to the Forum, mr scar

-to save some time searching this Forum; do not waste your time/ money repairing the surrounds [fails]...elmers glue works better than them 'kits'

-the adhesive you have, might buy you 3-6 mos [at 3/4 levels]

-the screws for the front/ rear panels are robsertsons [square drive]...i see alot of hacked up screws from using phillip heads

-when you can budget woofs...youll be suprised at what youve gradually been missing

-sorry to be the messanger...dont shoot :(

-on the bright side...great speakers dude

-what amp are you driving them with ???
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:19 pm

maddmaxxx wrote:-1st, welcome to the Forum, mr scar

-what amp are you driving them with ???

Thanks for the Welcome!!!
2 X 1.5t CARVER amps
In the past I was using the M-500t amps and a C-4000 pre-amp but that could go on and on
as I even had a Yamaha Pyramid amp years ago that was close to the Carver cube but was
black and pyramid shaped not cube...
C-2 Pre-amp now and the Platinum's use the Speaker control system w/Hol
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:59 pm

Try these guys; say they do speaker reconditioning/refoaming and list Carver as brand that they support. Perhaps you can get them to sell you the foam surrounds only for Carver :

http://www.approvedaudioservice.com/brands.html
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:27 pm

The surrounds of those woofers are unlike most others. Due to their unusual design they do not refoam well, if at all. Save up your money and buy new woofers. Seriously.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:53 am

F1nut wrote:The surrounds of those woofers are unlike most others. Due to their unusual design they do not refoam well, if at all. Save up your money and buy new woofers. Seriously.

How about adding the "HONEYCOMB" Woofers in to replace the Paper cone ones? I know the ones I have now are 16 ohms and the honeycomb ones are 3.6 so what would need to be changed? Been a while since I played in this stuff and forgot everything from those days any more....
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:01 am

That isn't going to work either.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Robert R

TFM-45

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:49 am

To go to older style woofers would involve enlarging your openings and changing your crossover, besides re-wiring. Bad idea. Get the new woofers that fit your units.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:15 pm

Guess I'd have to agree with RR and F1. Don't make the mistake(s) I made when building my EPI 1000's: I tried (at first) to "save money" on the woofers and found that anything short of pure originals can only drive you nuts (even if you think the "bargain" route drivers (or x-over caps!) sound ok, it drives you nuts wondering whether or not the sound could/should be better. And 99% of the time it will). EVERYTHING effects speaker sound; the original designer(s) threaded a needle to get the "perfect" sound that they were designing for; any deviations from that will most likely be negative. For what I wasted on drivers that did not work out I almost could have bought all 100% new drivers from Huw at humanspeakers.com (I did buy two from him and used them in the front faces of the speakers)...but I settled for (the remaining six) used (exact replacement) EPI drivers from ePray (4 ohm, not 8 ohm!)..some I had to refoam, some were allready refoamed. Re-foaming is no gimme either, but the kits I buy have very detailed instructions and checks to make sure you do it right...unless u r a clutz, in which case, don't try it!
That said, your only other option might be to ship your drivers to the link I posted earlier and have them professionally refurb/refoam your drivers, but after the one extra shipping charge and what they charge for this refurb, I doubt you'd save much over new drivers. Might try buying new ones a few at a time so as to budget this expense?
Ed
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:52 pm

This place was recommended to me by a forum member a while ago, I never quite got around to my re-foam project. If the speaker is going to be replaced eventually, there's nothing to lose by giving it a try, it'd just be a temporary bandaid until you can manage the new ones. If by some stroke of luck, you can fit a rubber surround to it and it works, it'll probably last for 20 years or so. Good luck !! Geoff :)
http://www.speakerrepair.com/
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:04 pm

When you have F1nut, Elgrau & RobertR all agreeing (don't think it has EVER happened before) it is probably the right thing to do.

The only thing I can add is that you don't have to replace all the woofers at once. Replace the bad one(s) and save up for the rest. I replaced 2 of 6 in my silvers and the rest are still fine.

FrankieD
<<

Robert R

TFM-45

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:17 pm

FrankieD, you noticed! We agree on how, where and when to get 'em, maybe not on how to test 'em.

New thought:
Has anybody with more savvy about wholesale buying than I have (and that really could be anybody) entertained the possibility of setting up a buying club, maybe through the forum, to save members some dough on these woofer, or anything else, for that matter? If just Ferrari and I replaced our woofers, there's over half a gross, right there.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:34 pm

frankieD wrote:When you have F1nut, Elgrau & RobertR all agreeing (don't think it has EVER happened before) it is probably the right thing to do.

-hay...i mentioned 'it' 1st [not wasting the time or $$$]

-and i hate everyone equally :D
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Speakers