FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:10 pm

4 Carver Plats in the back of a Sunfire!

<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:01 pm

4 Carver Plats in the back of a Sunfire!

Two PAIRS of Carver Platinums in a Sunfire!

My latest challenge is the restoration of two pairs of Carver ALS Platinum speakers. They are largely intact, but in rather poor shape, and missing the ribbons, but all the other essentials are there. They were transported home in one trip in the back and on the roof of my little Pontiac Sunfire, with the truck CLOSED!

The plan is to completely upgrade the look and performance of the speakers with new crossovers, veneer and granite bases, with other tweeks to make them a perfect match to my amps. This should be fun...

Thank GOD I got them for the princely sum if 5 bucks worth of rope and an hour's worth of my time, because these babies would be nothing but a money pit otherwise.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 4 Carver Plats in the back of a Sunfire!

Does anybody know what serial numbers I should have to ID these as plats or originals?

A GRATIS or cheap set of ribbons would be nice as well! \:D/ :D
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:38 pm

The woofers in the pics you posted at Club Polk would indicate they are Plats.

Talk to Angelo about his ribbons.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:44 pm

The ribbons are mine...

If mine turn out to be originals and not Plats, would the 60" ribbons still work, or will I need to find the 30's...

By that time I finish them, they will be completely new anyway.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:00 pm

You mean if the crossovers are the Originals because those woofers aren't.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Exactly... the crossovers appear to be originals, and there is a single pair of binding posts for inputs on them. The guy that had them jacked up everything when he wired these up, using 12 gauge Monster wire soldered to the terminals... a complete mess.

I am going to trash the drivers as years spent in a storage shed was not kind to them. The frames appear to be the same, so it probably is irrelevant what they are, as everything will be replaced anyway.

Return to Carver Speakers