ALS Help

Carver Speaker Discussions and Questions
michael88

ALS Help

Post by michael88 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:52 am

Hello! I just acquired a set of ALS speakers.I bought them from an elderly gentleman who had them stored in a storage unit. I don't think I overpaid; purchased for $199. By what I have read, these are the Platinum series since they have 4 woofers per speaker, and one 48(?) inch tweeter, but don't know which version. One speaker, the tweeter magnets have come loose and the ribbon now crinkled and loose. I plan on fixing them myself(always been a DIY guy). So with this said, when re attaching the magnets, is the spacing between each magnet critical, or are they just stacked one on top of each other? I have a friend tell me that I could fix the ribbon bends with an iron, being gentle and finesse. I will be restoring these and using them in my system. I sure am hoping my BGW 750C can handle these speakers......

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Michael

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: ALS Help

Post by F1nut » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:27 pm

The ribbon should be 60 inches, so get out your tape measure and then your camera. Take a pic of the binding post area, which will help determine which model you have. Also, is the face of the woofers flat or a cone?

Advice.....don't fuck with the magnets. Send it to Toymaker for a proper repair. The ribbon is suppose to be folded, which might be crinkled to you.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:33 am

^^^^^^^^^^ what he said^^^^^^^^^^ with emphasis on fucking with the magnets!!have fun and enjoy

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:09 am

+ 2. Loose magnets mean the whole ribbon has to come apart, and that requires that the ribbon material be replaced in addition to re-gluing the magnets. You can't do that yourself. The ribbon material is available only on special order, in large wholesale quantities, and the repairer needs advanced skill level to get it together properly.

Early ("Original") Amazings had two 30" ribbons in each channel and flat-fronted ("Honeycomb") woofers. The later ("Platinum Edition") channels had single 60" ribbons and more conventional-looking woofers. Neither of those ribbon-types can be repaired by even the most talented and enthusiastic beginner.

In addition, Platinums would probably need new woofers by now, as the foam surrounds will likely prove to be rotten. Replacing woofers is one job you can do yourself. All eight drivers usually go for around $400.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:31 am

Jesse and Robert know what they are speaking about (to the original poster),,they will guide you safely thru this process!

Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Scarabeo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:33 am

Yes - Please don't mess with the ribbons as all the glue may have come lose and other magnets will flip as soon as you remove the bolts and tear the ribbon beyond repair...Send them to Toy maker for repair!!!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

Return to “Carver Speakers”