FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:08 am

MY ORIGINAL AMAZING LOUDSPEAKERS HAVE POOR BASS PERFORMANCE

<<

GKH

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:10 pm

MY ORIGINAL AMAZING LOUDSPEAKERS HAVE POOR BASS PERFORMANCE

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF CHANGING THE TWO PIECE RIBBONS IN A PAIR OF ORIGINAL AOL'S TO THE ONE PIECE RIBBONS FROM A PAIR OF PLATINUM EDITION LOUDSPEAKERS WOULD GIVE THE APPEARANCE OF VERY LITTLE BASS? MY SPEAKERS WERE UPGRADED BY THE CANADIAN DISTRIBUTOR SEVERAL YEARS AGO & THE RIBBONS HAVE OVERPOWERED THE SUBS EVER SINCE. IS THIS A POOR COMBINATION OR HAS SOMETHING BEEN HOOKED UP OUT OF PHASE? (THEY WERE ALSO REWIRED WITH MONSTER CABLE) A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A PAIR OF ORIGINALS AS WELL THAT HAVE NEVER HAD ANY KIND OF UPGRADE & THEY SOUND MUCH BETTER THAN MINE. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT MY PROBLEM MAY BE? I KNOW MY CABLES ARE ALL HOOKED UP CORRECTLY BUT I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE INTERNAL WIRING.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:11 pm

The Plat ribbons are more efficient than the originals, so no surprise that they are overpowering the woofers. I think you'd be ok by upgrading the crossovers to Plat specs.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

spldart

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:17 pm

F1nut wrote:The Plat ribbons are more efficient than the originals, so no surprise that they are overpowering the woofers. I think you'd be ok by upgrading the crossovers to Plat specs.

Agreed. Change the crossovers and you will probably return balance to your Amazings.
<<

GKH

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:00 pm

How would you upgrade the Crossovers to platinum specs.

How would you upgrade the crossovers from a pair of original Amazings to platinum specs? Does anyone have any information on this. Also, the ribbons are gold on one side and silver on the other. My original two piece ribbons were gold on the outside, but when I received my speakers back the silver side of the ribbon was facing out. Is this correct or were they installed backwards?
<<

BigT

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:33 am

Carver once offered an upgrade kit to Platinum level for the original Amazings, which I sprung for. It was a complete driver replacement, ribbons, woofers and crossover, so, yes, your pair are now out of balance. In the long run, I wished I hadn't done the upgrade as I kept losing sound to the left ribbon and I never was able to figure out why. Thus, they sit in a back room, unused, until I get ambition enough to muck with them again.
<<

Ron Carter

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:47 am

I have two pair of Platinums that I bi-amped through marchand crossovers. That give you the flexibility to tailor the sound more precisely that an onboard passive crossover.
<<

spldart

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:29 am

I've done 2, 3 and 4 way electonic crossover systems before but have a question directly related to this particular recomendation...
The ribbons resistive impedance is quite low. Below practically all amps made for home use. Do you hook them directly to the output of an amplifier that is crossed over at it's inputs or is there still something between the ribbons and the amp?
<<

BigT

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:55 am

Ron: The ribbons require equalization; does your Marchand crossover allow you to do this? How did you determine the necessary equalization?

I've thought of doing this because of my troublesome left speaker. The woofers and ribbons work fine when driven directly, but when that crossover is inserted, the ribbons don't. Carver replaced them a couple times, way back when, but still, no sound.

Thanks
<<

Ron Carter

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:46 am

bigT

I don't know if I am understanding your question correctly, but this is a stereo crossover that has a level adjustment as well as frequency crossover point selection. I have never had any problems with equalization between the ribbons in my system.

spldart

My speakers are fed directly from the amps.

I am no audio expert by any stretch of the imagination, I just go with what sounds good to my ears. So forgive me if I can't respond to some of your more theoretical questions.

Thanks
<<

BigT

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:32 pm

Ron: The ribbons were equalized because the ribbons did not have flat response over their entire frequency range, which was (if my memory isn't faulty - not a guarantee anymore) about 100 Hz on the low end, to the high treble on the upper end. That's asking a lot of any kind of driver. The crossover was designed to compensate for this unflatness by boosting/cutting response, but where the frequency was boosted/cut and by how much, I have no idea. Simply matching levels between drivers is not enough to produce flat response, from a perfectionist point of view.

Many years ago, a company located in Washington (I think Seattle), marketed a electronic crossover specifically for the Carver Amazings. The crossover included the necessary equalization. It also raised the crossover to 300hz - the claim was that this raised efficiency by 2-3 dbs. I wish I could remember the name of the company - Clearwater Engineering comes to mind, but not with any certainty - and whether the crossover can still be obtained from them. I seem to recall prices in the $300 range. I'd sure appreciate if anyone tell me anything about this company, or lead me to one of their crossovers, particularly one for the Amazing Platinum.

Return to Carver Speakers