Testing the Teslas

Carver Speaker Discussions and Questions
Robert R
TFM-75

Testing the Teslas

Post by Robert R » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:50 pm

[We need a new place to write about these speakers - perhaps Fearless Leader will start one.]

Spent a lot of today listening to the CF speakers. And plan to spend more.

I'm sitting a little less than nine feet from them, and the two channels are spaced just under five feet apart, along the wider wall of a not-overlarge bedroom (around 12.5'x10'). Running a Carver HR-772 (140 wpc receiver), and a MK-IV Sunfire sub, its x-over set at 100 Hz and sitting in the rear-left corner, though there is no sense of sound coming from there.

At some early point I turned on the Sonic Holography, just to see what it would do. In our earlier experiments, the SH we tried (from a C-16) did not appeal to anybody. But in this room, with this version, I really like it, and soon found I couldn't shut it off on anything I played without wanting it back on.

On solo piano the SH expands the ambiance, giving greater depth to the stage, without expanding the size of the piano itself. In other words, is does just what you would wish for. Same on classical guitar.

On vocals, it spreads the stage, but does not seem to bury the soloist under an excess of instruments all around. This was a design goal for these speakers - lots of big ambiance, but not at the cost of losing center focus.

The tweeters are marvelous, and of course James' tilt-down design has them placed most advantageously. Drum attacks are very precise and realistic. Sibilants are never distorted (unless the recording is), and things like triangles are reproduced more clearly that I remember them ever sounding. A triangle is something you always hear very clearly in a live performance, and so often can't hear in a recording.

And large, complex orchestral material sounds quite real. On big choral works (e.g. Orff's Carmina Burana, with Muti conducting in a recording where EMI forgot to compress the dynamics), the sense of a hall is always there, and one hears the inner details so clearly that repeat playings are needed - you can't concentrate on all the details in one run-through. The whole experience is one of richness. The huge forces seem to deflate when the SH is bypassed.

And I don't miss the physical presence of much larger speakers, either. If it sounds like I'm in love, I suppose I am. Now it remains to see how long this affair lasts. At some point I'm going to assemble one more speaker and try three of these in trinaural. But for now, two seem to be plenty.

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Testing the Teslas

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:11 pm

Nicely written Robert, thanks!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

oldtexasdog
TFM-6cb

Post by oldtexasdog » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:49 pm

I found them just perfect for the bed room (16X20) TT system . C1 (Bill D) M-500t MKII with a grant tube buffer. Just a clean and precise soundstage with very clean imaging. Now if I turn on the SH and step 90* out into the kitchen I could swear I am hearing a live band in the next room! I spent many years working bars and kitchens in clubs and I know the sound. It's amazing! Those side firing woofers do, \:D/ do it!

Now if I just had a pair of small stickers that said Teslas on them :-k
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:24 pm

I just got mine and been playing around a little.

I'm using them as left/right front in my HT.

Off the bat they sounded similar to the CRm2's they replaced. Same driver after all.

Today I listened to some music cranked up a bit. I have to say they are a little "bright" for my tastes.

Anybody else have that experience? Will they soften up over time?

They certainly can handle power and play LOUD! But I'd have to say...so far, I prefer the amazing silvers for music.

Feedback anyone?

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:36 pm

I know in the CRM-2 owner's manual they recommend 200 hours of play time before doing any critical listening. I believe the ribbons do soften up a bit over time and sound more natural.
Sunfire TG-IV / 400 seven combo w/ Customized Klipsch RF-5's

trav0810
el douché
el douché

Post by trav0810 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:52 pm

I've had just the opposite experience with mine Frankie. Mine actually sound softer than my Silvers. I have a TFM55 that is too bright on them, but sounds BEAUTIFUL on the CF speakers.

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:14 pm

Frankie, haven't compared to my Plat's. However, if I was to characterize the sound of mine, I would say they are are little warmer than my main speakers. My main's go thru a DSP though and are adjusted to taste. Guess it all depends on what you are used to, electronics as Travis mentioned and type of room they are playing in. My HTR is well damped with wall to wall carpeting, 12 ft. long over stuffed couch, and acoustic treatments at first reflection points on walls and ceiling.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

"Your integrity will always be remembered longer than your prosperity."

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:38 am

I played a little more today and my TGIII tone controls tamed the "brightness" I'd heard earlier.

I backed the treble off by 2 and they sound pretty damn good.

They present a good soundstage but not as good as my silvers. I think I just like the dipole effect.

All in all I'm satisfied.

trav0810
el douché
el douché

Post by trav0810 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:07 am

The more you play them, the more you'll like them. The drivers are pretty "stiff" when they are first built. The soundstage opens up even more as they break in.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:49 pm

frankieD wrote:I played a little more today and my TGIII tone controls tamed the "brightness" I'd heard earlier.

They present a good soundstage but not as good as my silvers. I think I just like the dipole effect.

More than likely you built them wrong :lol:
They are WAY more toned down than the Silvers... if they seem brighter, something was probably done wrong.

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Toy Maker wrote:
frankieD wrote:I played a little more today and my TGIII tone controls tamed the "brightness" I'd heard earlier.

More than likely you built them wrong :lol:
They are WAY more toned down than the Silvers... if they seem brighter, something was probably done wrong.

James, Harry assembled them for me and I have total confidence that they were done correctly.

It is more likely something wrong with my ears than the speakers.

I am very happy with them but my silvers do sound better.

This may have something to do with placement etc. They are in different rooms and the "teslas" are not on stands but on top of cabinets.

I was totally blown away by them in your cabin so I'm guessing placement may be it.

I didn't have a need for more speakers and I'm only using these for l/r front in HT.

Its all good

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:05 pm

Frankie,

Here is my positioning from an earlier post. If you have the room, position these puppies like this. You will be rewarded with very wide soundstage that simply has to be heard. Best's my Plat's width any day of the week. There is a cut from you tube once you get them right, the wood blocks are directly to your side. I used a lazer to measure distances. Take care my friend. Here is the cut and paste:

Picked up my Carverfest Prototypes from Martin last Sunday. Martin did his magic during the assembly process. Great job Martin! =D> Thank you very, very much. \:D/

Let me so upfront, take the time, if you have the flexibility, to re-position these over and over until you find the sweet spot. And there is a definite sweet spot with both the room and your seating position. It will pay tremendous dividends in width and depth of sound stage.

This particular setup for me payed huge dividends. This is what I found after several days of re-positioning.

Speakers 12 ft. 5 1/2 inches from seating position, toed in slightly (facing knees approx.) 4 ft. 4 inches from back wall, (inside edge) 3 ft. 1 inch (inside edge) from side walls, separation between speakers 11 ft. 6 inches from inside edge. I went from WTH #-o vs what I heard at Jame's place to WHOOO, there is that magic again that makes these speakers so special. \:D/ \:D/

The cut that I used to dial these in was Erienda, by Kenny Rankin. There are several wood block hits during this tune. If these puppies are not dialed in, the hits will appear behind the left speaker. Once you have these speakers properly positioned and dialed in, the wood block hits will appear completely to your left even with sitting position.

Here is a link on U tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfYSSf-qrFc The wood block starts about 30 seconds into cut and continues off and on throughout cut. This worked out great for me. If it isn't coming from your far left equal to your seating position you are not there yet. Once there, the rewards are worth the effort. 8)

Also crossed over at 100Hz. using 2 subs, with each sub directly behind speaker.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:01 pm

Hey Don, thanks for the feedback.

My situation does not allow for too many changes in the speaker location.

Admitidly the Silvers have a much better environment for Music but I'm still experimenting.

I have the Teslas on each side of a 70' flatscreen. They are sitting on top of equipment racks.

In addition to backing off the treble a little I found that "toe in" was a negative in this room.

The silvers are slightly toed in and so were the teslas but the teslas improved quite a bit just bt facing them straight ahead.

I'm not dissatisfied so don't take anything I post a being critical. I'm just relating MY experience.

As I mentioned earlier I was completely blown away by the teslas in James' cabin. They were on stands & set up properly.

I don't have that option but for my use they are great too!!

These two photos are old but should give you some idea of the difference.
Attachments
STA60007 - Copy.JPG
STA60004 - Copy.JPG

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:48 pm

Gotcha! 8)
— Thomas Paine

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:17 pm

You do need to remember...this WAAAAAAYYYYY out west. Things are "different" out there!!

I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Return to “Carver Speakers”