Testing the Teslas

Carver Speaker Discussions and Questions
frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Re: Testing the Teslas

Post by frankieD » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:01 pm

What ?

Hey Mark, check out my other post. I'm hoping you may have some knowledge there.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi Frankie,

About all I can add is that at the fest, Harry's did seem to break in some over the first day or so there. I thought it might have been the little woofs coming into their own a little. It's been long enough I'm not totally sure now.

Just give them some run time. I'd say placement can have an effect. Height and surrounding could matter.

One thing that comes to mind is to try and get them up just a bit from the flat surface (if it is) of the top of a rack if that's where they are. Simulate the openness of the pole at least a few inches with something. As a trial, a glass or something under each and see if that 5" or so above a surface seems to change anything.

Let 'em run, try a couple simple moves and stuff and report back what you're impressions are.

Good to see you in there Frankie!

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:46 pm

What ?

Hey Mark, check out my other post on the Stentorian speakers.

I'm hoping you will have some input on them.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:58 pm

frankieD wrote:What ?

Hey Mark, check out my other post on the Stentorian speakers.

I'm hoping you will have some input on them.
Oh...didn't see it. Got it now.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:45 pm

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post by hewlew1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:10 pm

radioeng2 wrote:
What as it what the hell are you doing posting pictures of flat chested cheerleaders.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:41 am

Must resist temptation...must resist....must resist....

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:00 am

hewlew1 wrote:
radioeng2 wrote:
What as it what the hell are you doing posting pictures of flat chested cheerleaders.
Those are the girls that have to try a little harder. \:D/

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Here is a very relaxing u tube Jazz assortment. 1st cut Ain't No Sunshine sounds very good on the Carverfest speakers. Have them singing with the Marantz 1060 integrated. Sax and harmonica are in the room on this cut. =D>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_tw44QsZQ
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:32 am

I'll be listening to it on the office rig a little later today. Thanks Don!!!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:43 am

Magnaryder wrote:I'll be listening to it on the office rig a little later today. Thanks Don!!!

ray
Ray,

What did you think of the first cut on the Telsa's? Pretty impressive wasn't it for what these little speakers cost? The sax and harmonica were in the room with you.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:05 am

Don wrote:
Magnaryder wrote:I'll be listening to it on the office rig a little later today. Thanks Don!!!

ray
Ray,

What did you think of the first cut on the Telsa's? Pretty impressive wasn't it for what these little speakers cost? The sax and harmonica were in the room with you.
Pretty Amazing actually :D James did a great job on these speakers

ray
Magnaryder

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:06 pm

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:51 pm

Just got back to Florida after yet another run up north to move stuff and repair various miserable problems. Back now, and back on-line, at least until the next trip. The more of my toys arrive in Florida, the more homelike the place becomes. Especially nice to return to the delights of the CF speakers, which I have now enhanced with Mini DSP equalization. Thought I'd share what I've done, because to my ears it's a significant improvement, and a very simple one for anybody to try.

The goal was to enhance the upper bass, from below 130 Hz on down to where the sub takes over. (This sub is a MK II that I salvaged and rebuilt the amp on).

Here's where things stand at present:

I took a simple Mini DSP, 2x4 model - $100 plus power supply, case, and the parametric software. Since the 2x4 model is very liberal about what voltage it receives, I just used an old everyday 19 volt laptop power supply – it has enough current to run quite a few of these at the same time, if such were one's need. That laptop died long ago, so the p/s was salvage - free. James already had the software, so that was free also.

A couple of mouse clicks restored the DSP to factory settings (i.e. all flat). Then just a few of those values were changed - merely the Input Parametric settings. I used all six filters, but in the end needed just five. Set up filters at 40, 50. 60, 80, 100, and 125 Hz. Wanted to raise the gain of the True Sub so that it would better enhance the bass in the problem area at 75-130 Hz without becoming overpowering lower down. So some cuts in the low bass were in order (never in my life did I expect to do need to cut bass!).

The settings I settled on were all 0.5 Q and “peak” type filters, on the input side:

40 Hz: -2dB
50 Hz: -6dB
60 Hz: in the end not used, so left at zero dB
80 Hz: +4 dB
125 Hz: +5 dB

The Crossover was simply disabled - “Bypass” mode, all the way. Nothing on the output side, or in the delay or gain sections – just factory defaults.

And, obviously, the crossover on the Sunfire True Sub had to be lowered from it's maxed-out setting at 100 Hz down to it's recommended setting of 60 Hz

The low Q of the filters makes for a very smooth looking curve. I've become convinced a smooth EQ curve makes for the best sound. Sharp notch filters sometimes seem problematical.

I'll probably do some more tweaking as time goes by. Nothing here is carved in stone – this is my room, my listening position, my ears and my judgment on one particular day. But I definitely feel that there is a substantial improvement to be had with this setup. They sound richer, more authoritative, and therefore even more paradoxically large. The 'cellos no longer seem anemic. And I don't hear any imaging problems from the sub, though theoretically one might expect that. I still feel that any sub that seems to call attention to its location below 200 Hz is either not working quite right, or never was much good in the first place. They should not produce overtones or other distortion products high enough to be directional.

Interested to hear from anybody who's tried anything like this.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:57 pm

We're going to get to put an ear on this setup at the 'Fest....correct???

ray
Magnaryder

Return to “Carver Speakers”