FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:11 am

Speaker Problems

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:39 pm

Speaker Problems

Got A few speaker problems Wonder if I could get some advice. Just had my Carver Original Speakers rewired. Noticed static coming from my left speaker. Not sure why. It was not there before the refit. Lost some of those little foam things on the back of the speakers. Do these darn things affect the sound of the speakers. They seem to be always falling off. Just got a new Caver speaker control box off ebay. There was no manual with it. There are 3 push in buttons. The middle one says Grundy perspective whatever that means. I'm okay with sonic holagraphy the other says sub bass. There are also 2 trims one for the highs the other for the bass. I'm lost on how to best use this thing. Iwas really interested in tightning up the bass. Anyone help me out. I can't find the manual on ebay.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:40 pm

Hey,

Is the sound you're hearing static or buzzing coming from the ribbons? Does the sound go away if you take the ECS out of the loop?

You can remove the foam blocks and replace them with heavy felt (glued on), cover the entire back side of the frame where the ribbons are located, top to bottom.

The Gundry perspective modifies upper midrange spectral energy distribution, changing the apparent nearness of the performers. It will locate the performers farther back in acoustic space extending behind the speakers. The High Freq.Trim allows one to tailor those frequencies to your room. Say you have a hard room, not much to absorb the highs, you can adjust it to tame them down or vice-versa. The Bass Q allows one to tailor the low frequency damping. The center position is normal, turn it to the right increases the fullness and bandwidth, turn it to the left and you'll get drier/tighter bass.

For a manual try http://www.vintageaudiomanuals.com. I'm not sure if Mike has them, but worth a try.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:04 pm

To f1nut. Thanks again for your quick reply. I believe you gave me some imfo on my rewire. To bring you up to date I took my speakers and had them rewired. Here's what this guy did. He didn't think the 15.5 Cardas would give me a noticeable difference so he doubled all the wire. I told him I had bought all this wire and couldn't return it so that was how he arrived at this idea. He left the tweeter wire the same. We figured all the wire in the speakers was silver so the tweeter would not have benefited from the double Cardas. Fearing we would run out of wire he found two pieces of 35 strand Monster and used that to wire on the Cardas posts This stuff was huge but this guy can solder anything. The bass sounds better but the differences are not outstanding. Just wondered what your reaction to this refit would be. Getting back to the buzzing I'm not sure if it's static or not. You only hear it now and then. If by ECS you mean the speaker control system it's still there with it out. Concerning the things on the back of the tweeters I still wonder if their abscence affects the sound of these speakers. I have emailed Dave concerning the speaker control manual. I also inquired about a service manual for the amazings. Just a final point. The guy who did the refit suggested the crossover component looked pretty poor. He was suggesting building another one with more heavy duty components. Ever thought of doing anything in this area. Art
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:41 pm

He doubled up the Carads wire??? Damn, that must have been a real pain to solder. The original wire is not silver, but tinned copper or aluminium, I never bothered to check which one, but I know for a fact it's not silver. The results from a chassis rewire and binding post upgrade are not going to be night and day, but a definite improvement none the less. Yes, the ESC (Electronic Speaker Control) is what I was talking about. Since you have the noise with or without the box and you only hear it now and then I'm pretty sure it's a ribbon problem. The ribbons are infamous for doing that as they wear out over the years. Dave S. (forum member) has posted a trick to correct the buzzing noise. If you do a search or email him you'll find the answer. The foam blocks where added to help with some frequency peaks with the ribbons. Carver later issued the Amazings with the felt backing as I described and yes it makes a difference, so get some felt. I have thought about upgrading the crossovers, but never got around to doing it. I do think it is worth doing and I will one day. The crossovers are all point to point wiring and look like hell, but it's a great way to do it. Let me know if you have that done, I'd like to know exactly
what he replaces with what.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

Return to Carver Speakers