FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:41 am

Ribbon Replacement

<<

Chuck1

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:28 pm

Ribbon Replacement

Are the 48" ribbons that are used in the ALIII's identical to the ribbons used in the Silver edition speakers? At one time, I had read that the ribbon material was not "crimped" on the ALIII's, because the crimping allowed more material to stretch over time. I would think that the resonant frequency of the material would be different between both speakers due to the "tension" differences.

Therefore:
If a replacement ribbon for the ALIII was used in the Silver edition, do crossover modifications need to be performed?
Also, Reading the Silver Edition owners manual, the crossover section states that the ribbon operates from 22 Hz to 40kHz. Does anyone know if this is typo? I had read somewhere in the past that the cutoff freq was at approx 200Hz.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:19 pm

They are exactly the same ribbons, swap them a Will but don`t hit him. \:D/

my son may find a little humor there
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:52 pm

I believe the woofers only operate below 200 cycles. The ribbons are full-range.
<<

Chuck1

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:27 pm

Thanks for the info!
After close inspection of the ribbon on one of my Silver spkrs, it appears that the "crimp" or wrinkling of the material has "relaxed" in a 1" section of the ribbon. While playing them at fairly loud levels, I can see the ribbon vibrate alot more in this 1" section than the rest of the length of ribbon material. Will this section of the ribbon just eventually fail?
At this time, they sound perfect .
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:55 am

If it didn`t vibrate you wouldn`t hear anything. I tell everyone if it ain`t broke don`t fix it and don`t worry about till it`s broke, they are repairable. Post a picture of the "offending" area maybe we can see something.

Return to Carver Speakers