FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:04 am

(((((I think I'm gonna go active !)))))

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:34 am

cool... all we need is a custom faceplate with rack handles, and a Carver logo on it !!!
<<

BillD

R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:21 am

So, if you've got a Rane, your still with Carver history.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:04 pm

jvandyke_texas wrote:Rane was started by ex-Phase Linear engineers.

BillD wrote:So, if you've got a Rane, your still with Carver history.

There's a reason that I've recommended Rane crossovers on this forum. ;)
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

ribd1

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:51 pm

going active!!

Hello!
You are definately on th right track! stay away from Behringer, they use cheap parts/components and it shows in there performance. You definately get what you pay for. I have used a couple different Ranes before which did a good job. But, you may want to look at investing in a digital crossover/loudspeaker management piece. With technology, these digital pieces have such amazing DAC's you wouldn't believe it. The nice thing about this is that most of them have some sort of EQ or RTA meter built in to really fine tune the system. So that way you don't need to add an extra EQ into the signal path. By running the rta, it will pick up and adjust properly the notch filter accordingly for the ribbons. Also, it will give you the flexibility of trying different crossver slopes, points and some you are even capable of adjuting the phase, and delay between the ribbon and woofers. I can go on and on...all I can say is that going active is the best thing I have done. And from my experience a digital crossover is the way to go!
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:14 am

BillD wrote:You'll need some tip-sleeve (mono) ¼" plugs that have an RCA connector on one end - available on eBay for about a buck apiece.

Got a gross coming !
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:32 am

skip wrote:Just got in a Rane 2 channel. When I can get it hooked up I'll let Ya know what I think. I'm kinda waiting to get an EQ to take care of the ribbon spike before I cut the passive x-over out. BikerDude told me Rane is now offering a built in tweeter EQ mod for their RA22 that may be able to be tailored specifically to a speakers response curve. That sounds really interesting and I may go that direction if I can find the frequency response graph for the 60" ribbons and Rane is willing to design a notch filter specific to the ribbons. The RA22 is a nice looking unit. Of the two I got from BikerDude, one is black and the other is a dang close match to the Carver pewter colored faceplate.

Did you hook it up yet Skip ?
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:18 am

Not yet, I'm looking for an EQ to tame the ribbon spike before cutting out the passive x-over. Looking for a Rane ME60. Do you, BobP, Toy Maker or anyone else with active x-over experience know if it could damage the ribbons by using the x-over without an EQ?
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:44 am

U'r not going to hurt anything... Just run them...

What amp are you planning to use for the ribbons, and what amp for the subs ?

I would use U'r 9t's on the ribbons, and what ever other amp you have on the subs... The ribbons will drop below 4 ohms, possibly down to 3 or 2 ohms at different frequencies, and the 9t's can handle it. Other amps may not be able to take the load. The 7t's and 9's are stable down to 2 ohms, and you saw what the 7t's did for my ribbons. I would suggest being a little more careful with your ribbons. Mine were designed to play LOUD... your's will not get that kind of volume... they'll MELT 1st. The 9t's will "be able" to dump around 1000w at 4 ohms... the ribbons can really only take around 400-500w at 4 ohms (being driven biamped WAY more efficient) before you have to worry about them.

Go for it already !!!!!!!!!!!!! the 6k hz spike might not even bother you... you have to try it to see. The spike is there... but I never really heard it all that much when listening to them without the notch filters.. If U'r anal, you'll want the EQ, but me, I couldn't care less (for my personal use). It's so damn loud, the 6k spike just makes it BETTER, I mean louder \:D/

No you will NOT hurt anything by running them without a filter... just don't crank those amps into the ribbons, you never really see any "magic smoke" from a ribbon, but the Magic can stop.

The way you listen to music, I'm sure you don't really crank things that loud anyway...
( Good rule of thumb... If your ears are starting to hurt, you can be sure the ribbons are feeling it too )
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:02 pm

Toy Maker,
Now you've got me curious. What's different about the ribbons in the V's? I thought they were standard 48" ribbons. Believe me, I play the Plats LOUD if the better half isn't home. I've had the meters on the 9t's into the + zone, which is better than 750 amps a side. Not currently bi-amping. Won't I need a second x-over to bi-amp?
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:10 pm

I thought you bought a crossover already ?? if you got a (2-Way) crossover, that's all you need. (2) lines in... (2) highs out, and (2) lows out... I really dono anything about the crossover you got.

and the meters won't "bounce around" once you bi-amp the speakers... they are only bouncing because of the bass... and once you bi-amp them, there won't be any bass tones going into the amp, so the meters just smoothly move up and down... Ray and Tom saw mine doing it, and freaked out... It was funny !!

No, my ribbons have a custom Kapton in them. I had the company make me about 50' of a prototype Kapton I wanted to try. Mine can handel about twice the power of a normal ribbon. (or so I guess, never REALLY pushed then to the breaking point yet. Besides, if I do, I'm sure I'll loose about 30% of my hearing)
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:25 pm

Skip... if this is the crossover you have...
Rane RA-22 you will only need 1 crossover to bi-amp the system.. read away, it the users manual for it ;) Read the Stereo 2-Way Instullation section. Pretty easy direction.
<<

BillD

R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:10 pm

Skip, have you seen this Rane EQ
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:59 pm

Mr. M-500t wrote:
BillD wrote:You'll need some tip-sleeve (mono) ¼" plugs that have an RCA connector on one end - available on eBay for about a buck apiece.

Got a gross coming !

Gross? as in 144 units?
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:01 pm

BillD wrote:Skip, have you seen this Rane EQ

looks like a great option. both balanced and unbalanced ins/outs and good sound. maybe you'll get lucky and the bidding won't go too high.
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:13 pm

oops. nevermind.
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Speakers