FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:23 pm

Ribbon Problems

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:23 am

Ribbon Problems

Help, I tore down my sound system so my wife could use the room for a riding camp. Took all my components upstairs and left my ORIGINAL CAARVER AMAZINGS in the room. Hooked everything up after the camp and both speakers are making a vibrating sound Sort of sounds like something in the room is shaking. Tryed a different cd player and preamp. Same thing. Ran each speaker separately with my Silver 9's each speaker makes the same sound. Hard to believe both amps would go at the same time. Tried tightening the small screws at the back ane did the hairdryer trick as suggested by that Dave guy. Nothing works. I find it hard to believe that unhooking the system would suddenly cause both speakers to go bad. Any ideas would be appreciated. Don't know if it's the ribbons or a bad signal. Art
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:18 am

What is a riding camp?
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:12 pm

Bunch of kids bunk out in the room for 5 days while while they are doing a horeseback riding camp. not sure what this has to do with my problem.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:19 pm

WELLLLLL think about it. The only differenc is the 5 days with a room full of kids and your speakers. Were the speakers moved, knocked up against, knocked over, used to set up a tent or some other thing they weren`t meant for? I don`t know I`m just trying to help. It was your room, your speakers, and I guess your kids. Something happened.
You might want to get up close and take a good look at your ribbons. Look for hairs (dog, cat, hores or kid) or any small thing that could be resting up against the ribbon that could be vibrating.
CHECK BOTH SIDES FRONT AND BACK especally at the bottom of the ribbon where all the dust collects. If you find something take it out with a Q-tip NOTHING share. Good luck
AND that Dave guy is the ONLY person that is NOT going to cheat you on fixin` your speakers!!!!! Just ask anyone that has had them done by ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:56 am

I have to agree with Dave, 5 kids in a room with speakers the size of barn doors......you know they were all over them.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:15 pm

Ok I checked these speakers all over. The kids didn't knock them over. I've left them down there for many camps and never had a problem. The ribbons look fine. This distortion seems to be all high end related and its coming from all four ribbons. I really don't think they could have all been ruined at once. It's not the cd player or the preamp. The amps might be at fault although I doubt it. When I play each amp separately I get the same distortion on each side. I'm still going to get back my old 4.0 from the guy I sold it to and eliminate them from the picture. If I replace all these ribbons and still get the same result I'd really be pissed. If it is the ribbons i've seen your charge for the four ribbons. Doesn't look bad in American funds. That 650 becomes more like 900 bucks to me. Time I shipped them to New York and back and with all the border problems probably a 1000 dollars Canadian would be minimum. I've seen the speakers go on ebay complete for 1500. Don't get me wrong I'm not cheap but with the new amps rewire new binding posts and Monster m1000i interconnect I'm in over a coulpe of grand already. To make it worse the guy who did all the work for me sold my Revox deck for me on Ebay got paid and I didn't. Claims a big chargeback on ebay tokk out my money. He owes me 870 Canadian and claims he doesn't have.Normally I'd have him on this problem but not under those circumstances. Well i guess i've played my violin enough on the topic. I really love those speakers but i'm thinking it's not worth all this trouble. I think i'' just stash them away.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:17 pm

Ok, so maybe not the kids. I'm thinking some possible damage to the crossovers when you hooked the gear back up. Certainly is a strange one.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:12 pm

No way under the sun would I leave my stuff alone in a roomful of kids for 5 minutes let alone 5 days. I couldn't have slept. No shit.

Return to Carver Speakers