FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:10 am

need a visual model for CAL's

<<

an-eagalach

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:55 am

Thanks much, AA77. That about does it. And they are 66" from bottom to top, right? I'm assuming the tilt-back angle is not critical within a degree or two of my eyeball guess. I hope so. Now, all I have to do is be patient and wait for my ribbons and X-overs to arrive. They are somewhere on a UPS truck between upstate NY and VA.
<<

an-eagalach

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:59 pm

One minor problem. The surround on some of my woofers has started to become unattached in places, like this:

Is there any special glue I should use, or will any good superglue-like bonding agent work?

Thanks.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:41 pm

There was a thread on here somewhere about speaker surround kits and what glues you should use. I'd avoid superglue; if memory serves me right, it can dissolve those foam surrounds like a hot knife through butter. I'd read the instructions on any glue you plan to use very carefully to nake sure it is compatible with foam and do a test on a small patch near the very edge of the surround to make sure.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:50 pm

I've found Gorilla Glue works EXCELLENTLY and is safe with most materials.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

an-eagalach

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:01 pm

Gorilla Glue it is, then. Thanks.
<<

Rick Price

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:26 am

Re: need a visual model for CAL's/Questions for Plat III Gurus

Hi Dave and forum!

I haven't been here in a while...

(Teaching school is a pretty nasty time sink...)

I purchased (on Dave's advice, thanks!) 8 Dynavox woofers and I'm in the process of replacing them now.

The bottom woofer on the right has (what appears to me) to have the phasing "180'd" at the beginning of the woofer "leg" of the wiring. (The Red wires are mated to black wires at the bottom on the woofer taps----I'm the original owner and they've never been opened up before....)

This CAN'T be right, can it?

If I'm wrong I'll just copy what I see and replace each solder connection
as it appears. I'm getting ready to pop the bottom woofer on the other side now.....

All that being said, If anybody can conclusively tell me WHICH WAY IS CORRECT, I'd really appreciate it.

The Original Amazing photos on this page (why I responded here) have the wires correctly matched, but these are Plat III's, etc.,etc.,etc.....

They never sounded bad in the Bass (I run additional passive 15" Subs of my own design powered by an A-760x) but the Plats have never been as strong there as I thought they should be. (The Plats are powered by a Sunfire Signature 600x2....so to paraphrase Harold Ramis from Ghostbusters, "crossing the streams" seems like a spectacularly bad idea....)

TIA & Best Regards to all,

Rick Price
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:26 am

Re: need a visual model for CAL's

WOW, not THIS is a THREAD REVIVAL... :shock:
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:51 am

Take the speakers out AND REPALCE THE NEW ONES one at a time exactly the way they are now . They are in there the correct way don`t think you know better and do it your way. They are out of phase on purpose.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:02 pm

yep.....
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (35.21 KiB) Viewed 238 times
<<

Rick Price

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:06 pm

DaveS wrote:Take the speakers out AND REPALCE THE NEW ONES one at a time exactly the way they are now . They are in there the correct way don`t think you know better and do it your way. They are out of phase on purpose.

That's exactly what I wanted to know! Now I can proceed being a little more confident of the end result.

I like the new Carver site very much. I'll post back when the woofers are finished.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Rick

"I love the smell of solder in the Morning".......... :)
<<

Rick Price

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi folks,

I was playing "beat the clock" on getting these woofers switched out before an upcoming rotator cuff surgery.

Everything went perfectly. The CAL Plat III's sound like new!

(The surgery went okay too...)

Now...

Can anybody refer me to some replacement binding post cups?

The fragility of those %$#%^ plastic cups are my only real complaint about these speakers after having owned and enjoyed them for Twenty years!!!!

I recently ran across some correspondence from Carver Corp. (back when I owned my first pair of M1.0t amps, bought new in '86/'87) that I'd love to get autographed by the man who nearly singlehandedly saved domestic affordable high end audio in the '80's and '90's!

Best to all. Keep the Carver legend fires burning.

Rick P.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:47 pm

Not sure if any of these are any better... I have never seen any of them in person, but for the price, it's worth a shot...
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm ... D=417&SO=2

Besides, if you find a pot you like you can always change out the posts with these...
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm ... D=107&SO=2

I like these.... :shock:
http://www.wbtusa.com/

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Rick Price wrote:
I recently ran across some correspondence from Carver Corp. (back when I owned my first pair of M1.0t amps, bought new in '86/'87) that I'd love to get autographed by the man who nearly singlehandedly saved domestic affordable high end audio in the '80's and '90's!

Rick P.

Rick, if you want that correspondance signed you could always come up to CarverFest in a few weeks to meet the man himself and actually ask for his autograph!
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:34 pm

Make the weekend trip !!! It will be WELL WORTH IT !!!
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:01 pm

I`ve got a right panel in black you can have but u have to pick it up or pay for PACKING AND SHIPPING with foot and angle irons. It`s in Florida.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Speakers