FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Sound of my Carver Platinum IVs

<<

brentslone

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:14 am

Sound of my Carver Platinum IVs

My Platinums are setup consistent with Carver's guidelines in the owner's manual and they're being driven by a pair of Silver 7T's. In listening to them, my audiophile friend and I find vocals to be very "recessed". The bass seems fine, the clarity of sound is fine but the imaging, especially of vocals seems a bit blurred and not forward enough.

I recently built a center channel speaker, using a pair of GR Research woofers and a B&G Neo 8PDR mid/tweeter. With the addition of the center channel on 5.1 material, the vocals come forward and sounds much better. This is disheartening as I would still expect good stereo imaging to be superior to the artificiality of surround.

Has anyone experienced this with their ALS' and what did you find was the cure?

Thanks, Brent
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:05 pm

Your Carvers are VERY VERY directional. You sit in your listening chair and have your friend move your speakers a bit. Twist them in and out a little, ajust the legs so they stand less or more upright, make sure they are away from the wall, move your chair closer or further away and have fun finding THE SWEET SPOT. Once found you will hear what you are looking for , it`s there you just have to look, BUT don`t move your head 6" left or right elst you loose it. GOOD LUCK AND LISTENING!

OH!, don`t be afraid to play with the treble knob. Everybody`s ears are different.
<<

brentslone

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:15 pm

My audiophile friend (he owns a $7K pair of ATC SCM 50 speakers) and I have spent some time experimenting with speaker location. We can get it sounding pretty good but it always seems to exhibit the recessed vocal quality.

I'd like to hear how others have their Carvers set up. Mine are currently 70" apart, 40" from the back wall (inside corner) and 50" from back wall (outside corner). So they have a fair amount of toe-in. My seating position is about 9' from each speaker.
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:54 am

I recall from the owners manual that no toe-in is recommended. I occasionally get re-cessed vocal, and air launched vocals, when using the Hologram Generator. Without it the vocals are right up front and center. The effect of the Hologram Generator is generally pleasing and realistic. Put your speakers closer together and flatten out the toe-in.
<<

brentslone

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:01 am

Mystery solved

I figured out why my Platinums weren't producing nicely imaged, forward vocals. Between the speakers, I have a 57" Hitachi projection TV. I started thinking about the dipole nature of the Carvers and figured that the TV might be interfering with the back wave.

Sure enough, I moved the TV from between the Carvers and the sound brought tears to my ears. The vocals came right up to where they should be and imaging tightened right up.

But now I've got a catch-22. Carver's sound great with no TV between them but I don't have another spot for either TV or speakers...
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:49 pm

That IS a problem if you're using them for home theater. You have no choice, you'll need to put an addition on the house.
<<

brentslone

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:44 pm

Damn! I was afraid that would be the recommendation. Time to call the architect I guess...
<<

Ron Carter

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:07 am

Hi guys,

I just wanted to add my two cents. I have two pairs of Platinums that I'm running in my HT setup with a front and rear center speaker. This is as close as you can get to being in a theater without leaving the house. The sound is awsome. I don't have a problem with the imaging with my setup. My only problem is space. But I can live with that. Maybe this will help with your problem. I don't know if it will help but it's worth a try. If you still have the felt over the length of the ribbon tweeter maybe you should try removing it and see how it sounds with the TV between the speakers. Other than that how goes it George? I haven't been over at AK in a while, you staying out of trouble? : )

Ron Carter
(djronc)
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:06 pm

Hi DJRonC,

Trouble is too much fun to stay away from. I'm usually in up to my hips. There's at least one guy on that forum I LOVE to torment. The whiney, crybaby who thinks he's one of The Beatles. Damn it's fun.

You take care Ron, it was good to hear from the man with 4 Platinum Mk. IV's in the same room.

George

Return to Carver Speakers