FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:06 am

The Repair is done

<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:51 pm

TNRabbit wrote:FYI: That notch spike is the resonant frequency of the physical "channel" that the ribbon sits in.

Sorry rabbit not sure what you are talking 'bout :-k The filter as shown isn't the way it was set for listening..if that's what you meant? I just snapped a pic.

I have yet to finish tweeking as yet, 2 reasons first off I am hearing noise from it(need to grab a better ic box from work as the unbalanced to balanced connectors pictured seem to add noise (just using the run of the mill adaptors I had on hand), and two I will be getting a second amp and using it before making a final judgement on how it sounds.
I am playing around a bit with different movies and voices, do have any specs for me to try to filter out? Any help would be great!
I may also may have a line on a crossover from the ALS's so may just buy that one and not muck with it, triing to build a crossover is something I know nothing about and getting help form the tech's here at work is doable but not sure what the result will be, but I find it interesting.
Just using my ears to match it as close as I can to the left-rights is fun.... but I don't want to take out too much top end either so it's kinda tricky.
<<

BillD

R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:21 pm

It seems to me that the easiest thing to do is sweep the frequency range and measure it with a SPL meter (or something better) at your listening position, and adjust your notch filter to the frequency of the peaks (or valleys) and a rolloff that matches the width of the disturbance. As Rabbit says, the information on the different ribbons resonant peaks is specific to the enclosure. Your enclosure is completely different.

As for an ALS crossover, again remember it was specific to the cabinet. A better option would be to get an active crossover (I use a Rane AC22) to separate the frequencies above 150 Hz being sent to the amp running the center. What you do with the rest (off to some woofers, I suggest) is up to you. So your signal chain would be:

Preamp -> parametric -> crossover -> amp -> center ribbon

You could reverse the parametric EQ with the active crossover if you didn't want to equalize the low frequencies too.

You definitely need to get a converter form balanced to unbalanced. I'm working on a DIY project with the help of jvandyke_texas that takes balanced TRS inputs and produces RCA outs. Once I get it done, I'll publish the results.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:10 pm

Well I`ve had a LOT of different beers in my life but that has got to be the best ever. Later up date on the other stuff. Again thank you.
<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Very glad it made it to you Dave! Thanks again!
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:11 pm

Lookin` to buy some and have it shipped here, looks like it`s inported to the US just have to find out by who. Wife wants to put creamcheese on the salmon. (NOT MINE)
<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:24 pm

DaveS wrote:Lookin` to buy some and have it shipped here, looks like it`s inported to the US just have to find out by who. Wife wants to put creamcheese on the salmon. (NOT MINE)

Cream cheese.. goes very good with it! ENJOY!
Previous

Return to Carver Speakers