FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:09 am

Would any AL-3 owners be interested in protective covers...

<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:29 pm

Would any AL-3 owners be interested in protective covers...

For the top of the woofer section?

The wife's cats (OK, I guess they're our cats) like to jump on flat top surfaces of my speakers. Especially my 901s but also the top of the woofer box of my AL-3s.

I have made 1/4" clear Lexan plastic covers for them that perfectly conform to the contours of the tops. The edges are finished and I have strategically placed rubber bumpers to the bottom of the Lexan which keep it from sliding when one of the dear sweet precious baby's (note sarcasm) jumps on it and it works very well and IMO looks quite professional.

Strangulation is not an option and they do this mostly at night when I'm sleeping and can't catch them so I decided to be proactive and came up with this solution.

I can make and sell these for about 25.00/pr plus shipping (another 10.00 on average would be my guess).

Just trying to gauge if there is a market for these among other pet/small child/other owners.

I know I can sell the 901 covers on ebay because they are so widespread there is a built in market.

I would post pics of mine if I could figure out how to do it here without the red "x" (yes, I've tried photobucket and putfile). I can send any interested members photos if you care to email.

Thanks
Boomer-X
TX-11b, C-16, C-19, CT-17, CT-23, CM-1090, SD/A-490t, SD/A-360, TFM-35x (x2), TFM-42, TFM-45, AL-III+s
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:09 pm

Took me a while to figure out how to use Photobucket, but it works just fine with me. The trick is to copy and paste the IMG Code link directly to your post and it will work.

As for your solution, it is an interesting one. I've come up with a few myself over the years (used to breed miniature angoras a long time ago, but most of them aren't exactly what you might want in your living room.

For any oiled wood surface use Lemon Oil once a week. Since the smell of lemon is highly offensive to most cats, this can work like a charm. After a whle the cat learns to avoid the oiled surface, but if your cat is one of those who isn't affected by lemon, then you can wind up with a hair residue problem instead.

Another innovative solution for almost any surface is to use transparent self adhesive plastic film (MacTac was the popular brand back then) like shelf paper upside down (sticky side up) and just tacked at the corners by dog-earing the corners. Cats hate the sticky surface on their paws and quickly learn to avoid it. I have only seen 1 cat (the one I have now) that this did not work for because the stupid cat loves to lick the sticky surface (does the exact same thing to all my rolls of scotch and packing tape). The only drawback to this approach is that everything sticks to it; dust, cat hair, envelopes, etc so it has to be changed every time you dust.

Your solution does have the merit of keeping the speaker tops damage and dust free, but does not address the problem of the cats behaviour. Since strangulation is out of the question as is chaining up a pit bull to the speakers, there isn't much else you can do but protect them from damage.

Its a great idea and it should be a good seller on eBay.
Last edited by OBI56 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:20 am

-don't have the 3's, but sounds like...its about time =D>

-let me know if you post a pic, mr bmx
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:27 am

Send me one, and I can CnC laser them for you... Any thickness any color. 1/8" black would look best I think.
Very fast and easy with a laser.

the laser is 18"x24" so see how many will fit on there at that size.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:14 am

You have to train your cats. I introduce my cat to any speakers that come in here. I pick her up, stick her face up to one of them and say loudly, "BAD kitty." That's it, she'll never go near any them again because she's been trained and she does NOT want to hear BAD kitty.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

bikerdude523

TFM-55

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:08 am

Damn F1, you must be the cat whisper. My cat enjoys irritating me and knows messing with my stereo will do just that. It's a game to him. Got to go, that fu(ker is on my speaker right now......... wheres my damn paint ball gun!!!!!!
2 channel rig
Sunfire Classic vacuum tube Preamp: (3) M-4.0t's: SD/A-490t: Polk Audio SDA SRS: Velodyne SMS-1: (2) Velodyne DLS5000R's
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:15 am

My favorite cat trainer is a water gun. Works like a charm.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

BlueMDPicker

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:19 am

skip wrote:My favorite cat trainer is a water gun. Works like a charm.

Yeah, filled with sulfuric acid.

I believe this could be modified to work with speaker grills:

Carver 2CH: Rega Planet 2000 CDP | Schiit Gungir DAC | MMF-5SE | Seduction Phono | Lightstar Direct preamp | Lightstar Reference amp| Polk Audio SDA 2b Studio with crossover upgrades
Tube 2CH: Eastern Electric MiniMax CDP | Dynaco ST-70 | DCM 75+75 | Joule Electra LA-100Mk III | Marchand XM44 Xover | Innersound Isis MK3.5 Hybrid ESL Speakers
Main 2CH: Wadia 301 | PS Audio Digital Link III with Cullen Level IV mods | PS Audio GCPH | Bluenote Bellavista turntable with Dynavector 20X | PS Audio GCP-200 | Innersound Active Crossover/Bass Amp | Sanders Sound ESL Amp | Innersound Eros MK III Hybrid ESL Speakers
HT: Panasonic 58" plasma | Yamaha Aventage RX-A1050 | Revel LE-1 | Revel Ultima Gems and center | Revel Sub-15
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:02 pm

BlueMDPicker,

Yeah, we electrostatic owners have special problems with kitties, don't we. A speaker built out of what is essentially a screen door is just ASKING for cats to treat them like a climbing toy...

The only thing that worked for me was a trip to the vet for front declawing...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:02 pm

Actually the best cat training device I've found is called the "dazzer" (pronounced like laser - I don't know why they put the extra "z" in).

It is an ultrasonic device that looks like an ordinary remote control. When you push the button it emits a high pitched noise inaudible to humans (already tried it on the wife) that it irritating to cats/dogs and they do MOVE when they hear it.

I bought it for around 20.00 a couple of years back and it's been worth every penny.

I have to say that it doesn't seem affect a couple of the dumber type dogs I've used it on. I caught one stray in my back yard and when I zapped him with it he ran out of the back so fast that he ran into the quarter panel of an oncoming car out in the street... head first (no, he was not hurt).

I have let a couple of people borrow it and it has worked on every cat so far. Runs on a common 9 volt battery that seems to last forever.

Boomer-X
TX-11b, C-16, C-19, CT-17, CT-23, CM-1090, SD/A-490t, SD/A-360, TFM-35x (x2), TFM-42, TFM-45, AL-III+s
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:03 pm

I really want one of those puppies boomer-x. Do you know it they still exist?

Found it. $31.95 at:

http://www.dobbsdogs.com/catalog/index. ... cts_id=192
Last edited by OBI56 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

audioassassin77

TFM-45

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:21 pm

my wifes cat dont trouble my rig.
nothing like a couple 100lbs of snakes in the listening room(thats where i house their enclosures) to incourage the lil' fucker to find better places to cause trouble.
the cats name is "snake bait", the wife of course calls it somethin else.
.....a VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER.

I am slowly going CRAZY 123456 switch..CRAZY going slowly am I 654321 switch.
<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:10 am

OBI56 wrote:I really want one of those puppies boomer-x. Do you know it they still exist?

Found it. $31.95 at:

Mine was purchased through US Cavalry. I think I paid between 20 and 25 around 5 years ago - still worth every penny (provided you don't encounter the dumber dogs).

Boomer-X
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:31 am

boomer-X wrote:
OBI56 wrote:I really want one of those puppies boomer-x. Do you know it they still exist?

Found it. $31.95 at:

Mine was purchased through US Cavalry. I think I paid between 20 and 25 around 5 years ago - still worth every penny (provided you don't encounter the dumber dogs).

Boomer-X

Back when I used to work at the post office the mailmen had something similar to protect themselves. Those things could bring the most vicious pit-bull to his knees in seconds.
<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:46 pm

Great idea this little brat to the left... loved to climb up the backs of the silvers....we even built her her own 6' scratting post..but she loved the carvers better.....argh .....didn't matter if I used water or a big voice she was just a brat! Needless to say this cat now lives with my X......heeheehee.....good to know this product is out there!
Next

Return to Carver Speakers