FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:02 am

Simple way to test AL-III ribbon integrity?

<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:57 am

Simple way to test AL-III ribbon integrity?

I've noticed recently what sounds like a buzz or a rattle (like the sound that comes when something isn't fastened tight) in one of my AL-III units at a frequency just above the crossover frequency. Strangely, outside of that particular band of frequencies, they seem to sound OK. At first, I thought it was one of my wife's knick-knacks rattling as I was applying a copious amount of power at the time, but I couldn't find any culprits. So now I have turned my gaze toward the speaker. Short of taking the thing apart, is there any way I could pin it down as to whether the ribbon is flapping or not? Is that even a failure mode for these things, or do they just flat-out quit?

I'm open to any suggestions or ideas as I know that many forum members also have these speakers. Thanks for the support!
<<

TNRabbit

R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:42 am

I think Dave/James will back me up here, but VERY GENTLY, snug down the three screws across the very top & bottom of the ribbons on the front side, and check that the screws across the back are all SNUG, DO NO overtighten them!! This will probably solve your problem.

Also, to quote madddmaxx:

maddmaxxx wrote:-remember gents...those are'nt phillips head screws holding your ALS covers on

-their robertsons [sqare drives]

-no need to butcher them ](*,) ...oh
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:23 pm

TNRabbit wrote:I think Dave/James will back me up here, but VERY GENTLY, snug down the three screws across the very top & bottom of the ribbons on the front side, and check that the screws across the back are all SNUG, DO NO overtighten them!! This will probably solve your problem.

Thanks TNRabbit!

Pardon my ignorance, but I assume I have to remove the foam on the front and the felt on the back to do what you suggest. Is there a way to accomplish that without destroying it? I tend to lean toward being a ham-handed honyak.

Thanks again!
<<

TNRabbit

R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:27 pm

stereo_buff wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:I think Dave/James will back me up here, but VERY GENTLY, snug down the three screws across the very top & bottom of the ribbons on the front side, and check that the screws across the back are all SNUG, DO NO overtighten them!! This will probably solve your problem.

Thanks TNRabbit!

Pardon my ignorance, but I assume I have to remove the foam on the front and the felt on the back to do what you suggest. Is there a way to accomplish that without destroying it? I tend to lean toward being a ham-handed honyak.

Thanks again!

I completely removed my foam when I got my speakers because it was falling apart, anyway. I like the sound & look better without the foam, although I'm planning to paint the face of the ribbon bracket flat black to match the rest of the speaker. If the foam is already beginning to disintegrate, not much else you can do. Someone once posted a source for the foam on the forum here about a year or so ago...

FYI: the first set of screws I was talking about ARE Philips; the ones on the back are the square drive...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:56 pm

-sorry for the confusion, guyzes...

-was referring to the als [fr and bk grills], not al3's in the 'quote' above

-believe the 'ribbons' are all phillips[2 inward rows], w/nuts

-and outer [2] rows [robertsons], sqare [or knuck furniture screws, i've even heard]
-
-the outer 'square drive' screws, need 2finger taught[gingerly]

-somewhere on here, [Forum], is the correct 'torque spec' for the inner phillips[again may be 2 finger taught]...CAREFUL 8-[ on them

-this is when 'one' hears a light rattle

-as usual...having a bad typing day ](*,)
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

audioassassin77

TFM-45

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:06 pm

maddmaxxx wrote:-and outer [2] rows [robertsons], sqare [or knuck furniture screws, i've even heard]
](*,)

one of our proudest canadian moments. the invention of the "square headed" screw...
.....a VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER.

I am slowly going CRAZY 123456 switch..CRAZY going slowly am I 654321 switch.
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:16 pm

-oops...bad hair year :^o

-alot of canadians are join'in lately, ah \:D/
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

audioassassin77

TFM-45

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:00 pm

maddmaxxx wrote:-oops...bad hair year :^o

-alot of canadians are join'in lately, ah \:D/

i noticed...i remember back when it was only MP myself and 1 or 2 other guys.
i think were getting more canucks due to Carver equipment becoming more available this side of the boarder.
tho i still cant believe the number of people down south that still wont ship to canada :-k
cheers!
.....a VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER.

I am slowly going CRAZY 123456 switch..CRAZY going slowly am I 654321 switch.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:12 pm

USE YOUR EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run the spealers and put your ear right up to the ribbon. If it`s the ribbon you will hear exactlly where it`s comming from. Call me.
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:03 pm

To get to the front screws, do I first remove the ribbon from the panel (by removing the rear screws), thereby leaving the foam in place? It appears that the foam is inserted from the rear, with respect to the speaker vertical panel.

Thanks.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:57 pm

DON~T DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! call me 239 772 9341 just about anytime

Return to Carver Speakers