FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:57 pm

Platinum Upgrades

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:53 am

Platinum Upgrades

Has anyone upgraded their Platinum's? If so, what did you do or have done?

I'm playing around with a pair right now. So far, I've rewired them with Cardas 15.5ga for the woofers and 11.5ga for the rest. I've changed the binding posts to Cardas gold plated heavy duty ones and added Dynamat to the woofer baskets. I'm still thinking about upgrading the crossovers, but I may wait until later for that. Any suggestions on crossover upgrades is welcome. In addition, I've repainted the bases and all the screw heads, next I'm going to refinish the panels, but I'm unclear as to the material used for the originals. I've heard some folks say plain black lacquer, but I think it was automotive paint. Does anyone know for sure?

A big "Hello" to George!

F1
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:04 pm

Thanks, but I just got here myself. Nice surprise isn't it? A CARVER forum.

George
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:29 pm

Yes, it is. I found it a month or so ago, but never did anything about it.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

drewideth

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:06 am

Hello, the Amazings are actually done in a virgin black laquer over a white primer coat. I've done a few upgrades to my Amazings: rewired, new crossovers, black Kapton formers for the ribbons, and for giggles made completely new baffles out of a 1 inch thick sheet of aluminum, then had them polished. They look great till someone turns on a light then everybody goes blind.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:22 pm

To be honest... The Black laquer is a SherwinWilliams paint. We contacted Carver back when they were Carver, and got the actual paint color #s. The Speakers were Painted and baked. It was a 4-5 layer process if I recall correctly.

I can get more info if anyone really cares.

Glad you guys like the forum. I though it was time to get some of these people together. \:D/

James (CarverAudio.com Webmaster)
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:16 am

James,

Yes, I would love to get all the info you can gather on the finish. I have the Carver manual which says that it's a polyurethane acrylic enamel, which to me means that it's a paint rather than a lacquer. However, I have heard numerous folks state that it's black lacquer, hence the confusion. It doesn't look like lacquer to me (I restore period antiques) and mine have a orange primer undercoat. I thought it might be automotive paint.

Thanks,
Jesse

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:21 am

Drew,

I'm interested in exactly what you did for the crossover upgrades.

Now, the baskets.....man, how much did that cost you??? Was the benefit worth the money? Did you design them....who made them? Can you post some photos of them?

Jesse

<<

drewideth

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:02 am

Wow, mine have a white primer coat....interesting. As for the baffles, I designed them to the same size as the original laquer baffle and milled them on a Haas CNC and had a local company polish them for me, and they are extremely rigid, but the benifit being worth the money? Absolutely not. I was able to cut both pieces out of one 5' by 8' sheet of 1" thick mic6 aluminum that ran about $900.00. The same rigidity could be achieved by lining the rear woofer plain with a piece of 3/4 MDF for 1/100 the cost. I'll get some pics of them up asap.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:27 am

Very cool and that is something I've got to see!

How about the crossovers, could you go into detail about the upgrades you did on those?

<<

drewideth

Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:53 pm

I actually don't know what was done to the crossovers. The upgrade was done by Fernando Mack. I could dig into it though, if I could get my hands on an original x-over schematic and component values, or if you could send me some good pics of yours, I could decipher the difference. Or I could send you pics of mine, whichever is most convenient.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:35 pm

I have a copy of the original schematics that I can send you. As for Mr. Mack, from what I've heard you're lucky to have had the xovers returned to you.

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:36 am

ToyMaker,

Have you had any luck finding the paint info?

F1

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:50 am

BUMP.......

James,

Any luck with the paint info?

Jesse

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:27 pm

Bump..again

Any luck with the paint info?

<<

lindagroneman

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:02 am

repair of upgrade to my Platinum's

F1nut: I am trying to reconnect the poorly soldered wires on my crossover that was upgraded by Fernando Mack. They came loose when I disconnected my speaker wire to move them. Could you send me the schematics if you still have them? I want to be positive of what wire goes where. Plus he didn't have time to install the in-line fuse and I need to do that. Believe it or not I actually got Fernando to come to my house and do the upgrade in my living room but he left in a hurry and didn't do the job right. My husband and I haven't been able to get a hold of him since.

Toy Maker: Any chance of getting that paint info. I would also like to fix the nicks in them before I attempt to sell them.

Linda G.
Unbelievably a female audio enthusiast
Linda Groneman
ISF Certified Calibrator :-)
Next

Return to Carver Speakers