FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:20 am

carver amazings rewire..

<<

austinstephens1

Post Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:53 am

carver amazings rewire..

Hi..I'm new to the forum. I own a set of the original Amazings, and have since 1990. I've been to the forum several times, and have recieved some good info on my Carver stuff..(My stuff..Bridged PM-1200 Amps, C-1 preamp, DTL-50 CD player, Carver ALS). Last week I rewired my Amazings, using top of the line Monster Cable, (10, and 16 gauge). It took me all day, but it sure was worth it. The sound improved dramatically. I would suggest this to any amazing owner.I cannot believe the cheap bell wire Bob used in these speakers. I have had the usual ribbon problems..i can push alot of power to them, and have had to patch the ribbons a few times. I own a brand new 30" ribbon assy. that I purchased from Carver before they closed, but it is still in the box. I use small EMF drain strips to patch my ribbons with. (These are used on jets around the windscreens to discharge EMF static charges to ground) They work great. I will eventually try and go with the 60'" ribbons. Nice forum...
Austinstephens
"CRANK EM TILL THE LIGHTS DIM"!!!
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:01 pm

rewire

Glad to hear you did the rewire. Did the same thing myself last year. I used Cardis instead of Monster. I had 15 guage for the woofers. The guy who did it for me said he thought it looked thin so he doubled them all Pretty dramatic difference especially in the bass. I would also suggest changing the binding posts. I used a set of Cardis posts. When you haul out the originals and compare then to the Cardis you won't believe the difference. I have a set up much like yours but I made a couple of changes this year. I got a set of Silver 9t's and replaced my Carver CD player. If there ever was anything weak in the Carver line it was their cd players. I also replaced my interconnect with M1000i. It's awesome stuff for the price. They have one more line above this but I'd have to mortgage my house to get it. The C1 has always been a great little preamp which is highly underated. They are a dime a dozen on ebay but it sure sounds great on my setup. Try that binding post change. You won't be sorry Art
<<

austinstephens1

Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:11 pm

yes, the 16 looked thin, I may go back in and double it...the woofers were the easiest to solder..the crossovers were a pain..Yes, I plan on replacing the posts..I may use Cardis, haven't made that decision yet..I do all of my service on the components..I've replaced the drive bands in my DTL-50 CD player, cleaned and realigned the lazer...it still sounds great...Would someday like to own some Krell stuff...still saving....take care...Mark.
Last edited by austinstephens1 on Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Austinstephens
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:49 am

Krell

Mark, in order to have Krell stuff that would run our Amazings I would have to mortgage my house and my wife too. Monoblocks would probably run you between 10 and 15 grand. The upside would be that you might be able to heat your house with them. good Luck ,Art
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:14 am

The Carver Silver 7t Mono Blocks were designed for the Amazings. They won`t dim your lights but they won`t heat your house either, AND you can get a set for under two grand on E-bay.
<<

austinstephens1

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:43 pm

thanks for all the replies, everyone..the dimming lights thing is a true story....i once owned a house in the country, i believe it had only a 60 amp service line..i had two huge soundcraftsmen amps bridged..put out about 1000 watts rms...when turned up to the "make the mother in law get up and leave" level, with maybe Tarkus by ELP on, during the heavy bass transients, the lights in the listening room would actually dim some..this was amazing to both me and my listening friends....the silver sevens sound good..i have heard them through maggies....
Austinstephens
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:46 pm

Ah, another smart lad. I rewired my Plats with Cardas and changed the binding posts to Cardas gold plated.....a huge improvement. Another wise idea is to run a dedicated 20 amp line for your gear, you'll get cleaner sound and no flickering lights.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

Return to Carver Speakers