FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:55 am

Carver Amazing Woofer Replacements

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:16 pm

Smoked one of the woofers on my Carver Amazings. Saw a replacement one on ebay. I paid the buy it now price(about $99). It was called a Caver Amazing Original OEM replacement woofer. Did I get the right one. how did the 99 bucks sound?????? Hope I did the right thing. Art
<<

austinstephens1

Post Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:09 am

Amazings Woofer Ebay..

I saw the same item listed...it looks like the same woofer that I have in mine..size and specs are the same..4ohm, 100watt rating..the $99.00 price seems fair..as long as the foam is in good shape, and of course it works. Also, it looks as if the seller is honest..99% good feedback...Nice find..How did yours fail?? Were you "cranking till the lights dim", or listening at a "normal" level....Just curious....Take care...Mark. \:D/
Austinstephens
"CRANK EM TILL THE LIGHTS DIM"!!!
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:12 pm

Let's put it this way Mark, I think I bent the needles on the 9t's as they went crashing over the maximum side of the meters.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:15 am

Art, that's what happens when you have all that nice new thick wire running to them and crank it up way TOO far. Let us know how the replacement works out.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:44 am

Woofers

Something I forgot to mention. I also smelled an awful odor in the room when I play stuff with a lot of bass energy.
Will these things actually burn up. Another thing I noticed was that the top 2 woofers in each of the speakers were pumping like crazy and the bottom two although I could feel a vibration were really not working hard at all. Beginning to wonder now if I ruined 4 of them. Art
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:21 am

You can fry the voice coils. You might want to swap the bottom woofs with the top woofs and see what happens, at least it'll tell you if the problem is with the woofers, the crossover or perhaps the wiring. How far do you turn up the volume knob on the pre amp?

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:38 pm

Woofers

Boy that just about everything. May need some expertise to figure this one out. I turn it about half way. This was the Damita Joe cd by Janet Jackson. I think it was recorded a lot higher than most cd's. I have some Sheffield Lab stuff and you can turn it three quarters without any problem at all. I think that the speakers would take it but I might have run out of headroom in the 9t's and sent some bad signals tp the speakers Art
<<

austinstephens1

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:48 pm

Dosen't some of the woofer signal travel through the crossovers??..I believe I remember some of the woofer wiring coming from the crossovers when I rewired mine...it is possible to fry a crossover with alot of power...maybe take a look at them...Mark.
Austinstephens
"CRANK EM TILL THE LIGHTS DIM"!!!
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:32 pm

woofers for Carver amazings

Both bottom woofers on both speakers have quit. Seems a bit odd they would all go like that. Tranformers on both crossovers get hot enough to burn your fingers. There is also a burning smell coming from the speakers. Speakers themselves look okay. Probably would have to move one of the non working speakers to the same position as a working speaker. Considering the fact that they are all double wired and the fact that I can't solder worth shit i'm thinking they might make a good looking set of very tall bookends. The widescreen LCD TV and surround are looking better all the time.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:24 pm

Hmmmm...there are no transformers, just caps and resistors. If you can, remove one crossover and have a tech look it over.

Return to Carver Speakers