FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:36 am

Difference Between ALS-Platinum and Platinum Mark IVs...

<<

division

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:30 pm

Difference Between ALS-Platinum and Platinum Mark IVs...

I was wondering if someone can tell me the difference between the Original Platinums and Mark IV Platinums. How can you visually tell them apart?
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:21 pm

platinum Mark IV's

Look down where the binding posts are. You will see a series of knobs that will allow you to control hi's low's and mids. Carver made a speaker control box which was an outboard feature. He later incorporated then into the platinum speakers and called them Mark IV's He also did the same with the Silver Series.
<<

division

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:32 pm

Speaker Control Box

So, is this is the only difference? No difference in the crossover, ribbon design, or the woofers? What does a Carver Speaker Control Box run these days, and will it be impossible to find? The reason I ask is because I may have found a seller of Platinums, but I don't believe he's got the Mark IVs or the control box. What are regular Platinums in fair/good condition worth on the market in comparison to Mark IVs?

Thanks for any advice.
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:50 pm

the controls on the Mark IV's are the only ones I now of. I bought a box for my Caver Original Amazings. I had had a rewire and binding post replacement on my speakers and the difference was so terrific that the box didn't make much difference. It also has holography on it but my preamp already had that. I sold it. I would definately take the Mark IV's if it ere me. They usually go for 1600 0r more on ebay. The regular Plats a little less than that. You really have to keep your eye on ebay under Carver. Keep all Carver Speakers on your watch list. By the way i'm Canadian and with the difference in money and shipping hst at the border and brokerage fees I'm screwed. I just keep on improving my old Original Amazings If you get these things look into the rewire and binding post replacement. The original stuff is real shit.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:17 pm

The control box shows up on ePay from time to time, usually goes for $200.00 to $250.00. I have to agree with Tah, upgrading the chassis wire and binding posts is a must do.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

division

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:40 pm

Rewiring...

So you guys suggest a rewire on the Platinums and Mark IVs or just the orginal ALS?

I'm dying for a pair of Mark IVs but I can't seem to find them anywhere locally at a reasonable, so I might just spring for these platinums I'm gonna check out this weekend.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:15 am

All versions have the same crappy wire and binding posts.

There's nothing shameful about a pair of Plats, get them.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:08 am

platinums vs Platinum MarkIV's

Ditto buying the platinums. The MarkIV's just has that little adjustment panel. you don't need it. I would upgrade all of the different Models. The wiring was the same in all three models(and the posts too) Just curious ,what do you have to pay for the straight Platinum speaker? Art
<<

Ron Carter

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:10 pm

The Original's had two 30" ribbons per speaker. The Mark IV's have one 60" ribbon per speaker.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:46 pm

Finally someone that knows the real difference! Sorry, I`ve been away.
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:08 pm

If someone REALLY knows the lineage of these things it would be nice to see it.

Best I can see is:

The Amazing Loudspeaker - The two 30" ribbons and 4 x 12" woofers per slab.

The Amazing Loudspeaker Platinum - One 60" ribbon, 4 x 12" woofers per slab and bi-amp capability

The Amazing Loudspeaker Silver Edition - ? Well, did they?

The Amazing Loudspeaker Platinum Mk.IV - One 60" ribbon, 4 x 12" woofers per slab with no bi-amp capability, but built in controls (The version I own).

The Amazing Loudspeaker Silver Mk. IV - One 48" ribbon, 3 x 12" woofers per slab, no bi-amp capability, and has built in tone controls.

The Amazing Loudspeaker AL-III - One 48" ribbon and one 10" woofer.
<<

division

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:50 pm

Any smaller models?

There was nothing ever manufactured by Carver that was a smaller version of the silvers with tone controls, was there? Possibly, a "copper" of sorts? I heard a rumour...
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:14 pm

No

Return to Carver Speakers