FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:02 am

Platinum Edition Ribbon Repair

<<

sixstringer99

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:32 pm

Platinum Edition Ribbon Repair

Hello, first time on this forum. I have Carver Amazing Platinum Speakers in black. I am the original owner. Actually they were originally Carver silver editions but I upgraded directly from Carver, back around 1995, to Platinum 60 inch ribbons and the associated crossovers. Therefore I have been using this speaker continuously i.e. several times a week, for over 13 years. My original silver edition ribbons, left side, were damaged in San Jose CA, during the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 and I finally fixed them in 1995 while living in Hawaii.

My question to the forum: I have recently heard a "buzz" , yes, that inevitable distortion, at a certain sound level and certain frequency range that ultimately tells me it's time for new ribbons or a ribbon repair scheme. I saw this forum and I saw that Dave repairs ribbons or gives you advice on ribbon repair. I need some advice on repair /replacement.

I am currently running these speakers with a Krell FPB 300cx stereo amplifier. This amplifier drives these speakers in a way you have to hear to believe. I cannot replace these speakers with any other speakers costing less than about $10K from what I have been auditioning. Really!! I need to repair my speakers. Please help.. . Thanks. P.S. These speakers cost me about $1500. back around 1985 or 1986 (my receipt is at home). Nice investment.
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: Platinum Edition Ribbon Repair

-hello and WELCOME to this Forum, mr 6string !!!

-1st try to gingerly tighten [finger tight/taught]...the outside rows on the ribbon enclosures

-how did 'one' afix 60"ers in the silvers ?...could be the ribbon enclosure are'nt supported enuff

-remember these are NOT phillip heads...they are 'square drive', robertson head

-keep us posted, guy 8)
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Give me a call at 239 772 9341 before you do anything.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

DaveS

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:02 pm

Maxxxx right idea wrong screws. Inside.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

BillD

R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:42 pm

I thought only Originals (two 30") could go to Plats, I thought Silvers had 48" ribbons, like my AL-IIIs.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:55 pm

BillD wrote:I thought only Originals (two 30") could go to Plats, I thought Silvers had 48" ribbons, like my AL-IIIs.

BINGO!!!
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:57 pm

BillD, as far as I know, you are correct on both counts. Also struck me as weird when I first read that post.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:23 pm

-sir daves wrote; Maxxxx right idea wrong screws. Inside.

-*was figuring to 'taughten' up the ribbon enclosure screws to wood frame 1stly ...then after she worked/not worked, then go after the 2 inner rows of machine screws [2 finger taught, very gingerly on them] :-"

-dang, i already standed corrected by mr MR tonight, [ecs/u box]...does this one count too :lol:
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

DaveS

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:45 pm

That works too Maxxx. simple stuff first.
- Patrick Henry
<<

sixstringer99

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:02 am

Boy, what a surprise. All these replies, thank you very much. In response to the question about silver edition, if I am not mistaken, the original Amazing speaker that came out was called "Silver Edition". These Amazing speakers were the first pair ever to arrive from Carver (other than demo's) and be sold to a customer at a certain higher end stereo retail store in San Francisco. I'm just going from memory and it has been a long time. I do have all of the original booklets and even the reviews from Stereo Review and Sterophile magazines. Yes, these speakers originally had two 30 inch ribbon drivers in each frame. Carver sent me two 60 inch Platinum ribbon driver replacements, one for each frame of course, as well as two platinum crossovers. The drivers and crossovers fit in the original speaker frames perfectly. Each screw lined up perfectly and there were no gaps anywhere. For all intents and purposes they became Platinum speakers. This Platinum speaker was hailed even by Stereophile magazine. A very nice note, Carver gave me a big discount on these replacements due to the fact that I was the original owner and I had all of my receipts. I will look through my paperwork tonight to see if I made any mistakes in my description.

Why did it take me so long to replace the damaged ribbons? After the Loma Prieta Earthquake I went home to find that my left speaker had been knocked over as well as all my lamps, dishes, etc. The speaker frame was broken and I ordered a new one. Upon close inspection it looked liked some of the magnets were chipped and cracked but I didn't here any distortion until a few months later. A few years later a friend of mine played a recording he had made with a lot of bells chiming in many frequencies. That sent my speaker into distortion hell and I decided I had to have it fixed. Thanks again for all the replies and I will certainly call Dave. Great forum!
<<

TNRabbit

R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:07 am

FYI: the ORIGINAL Amazing Loudspeakers were 4 woofers, 2x30" ribbons. The Silver Editions were THREE woofers and ONE 48" ribbon.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:24 am

Yes, what you bought originally were simply called the Amazing's otherwise referred to as the original Amazing's.

Did you get replacement woofers with your upgrade kit?

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

sixstringer99

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:59 am

I talked to Dave this morning and perhaps my memory is faulty on the description as "Silver Edition". But yes they were the original Amazing Loudspeakers. When I got my replacement Platinum ribbons, the original woofers were fine and I did not have to replace the woofers at all. In fact the original woofers are still functioning superbly.

Here is an interesting side note on the woofers. I never thought that they were very good in the first place being so thin and having that hexagonal front cover and all. I was driving them with an M80 Yamaha amp and it wasn't enough. So I bought a used Velodyne 15 inch subwoofer (very highly rated) to compliment the lower end. Four years ago I bought the Krell high current amp that I mentioned earlier. When I turned the system on it was a completely night and day difference in sound. Even though the Yamaha amp was rated with a similar wattage to the Krell, the high current ability of the Krell completely awakened the woofers in my panels. So much so that I rarely turn on the Velodyne subwoofer anymore. Now that "is" Amazing.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:56 pm

The reason I asked is that the woofers in the original Amazing's and those in the Platinum's are very different. It would seem that Carver made adjustments on the new crossovers to be able to use the 60" ribbons while still being able to use the honeycomb woofers.

You should examine the woofers as the foam surrounds have an finite life span.

<<

sixstringer99

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:40 pm

Yes, I read that there was considerable efforts and redesigns going on to get the Platinums to work initially. I got my upgrade kit in 1995 and I think Carver had worked all the bugs out by that time. Actually they had to build me some crossovers and that shipment came after the Platinum 60" drivers. The Carver rep told me to go ahead and play the ribbons by themselves (excluding the x-overs and woofers) while I was waiting for the crossovers to arrive. He even told me he didn't think there would be a big difference when I added the crossover and included the woofers. He was right, the ribbons by themselves sounded very good on most material (considereing the break in period) and when the woofers were added they only enhanced the lower end somewhat. That is why I was amazed when my Krell amp woke up the woofers. If you read the 1990 Stereophile magazine review the author also mentioned using a Krell amp to improve the bass. Once the Krell advanced to the FPB300cx version the entire frequency range performed flawlessly.

I will take your advice and inspect the surrounds as well. Thanks.

Return to Carver Speakers