FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:12 am

The Good the Bad and the ugly on original AL's

<<

74bronco

Newbie 50+

Post Fri May 02, 2008 12:01 am

The Good the Bad and the ugly on original AL's

found a set of als's four 12" woofers and 2 30" ribbons, they come with some extras for a very ( I think)reasonable price.speakers,a couple of amps and a pre all for around 1100.00.
haven't got to see them yet but the fellow say's they are all in great condition.

My ? is will the older Original Hang with the newer platinum versions sonically and reliabilty wise.

What is the Good ,The Bad and the Ugly on this first version.
Of note here is I don't know if they have the honeycone drivers or not,the owner was not real specific yet and say's come and look and listen.So will be auditioning them early next week as his schedule is very tight.
voltage squared divided by ohms=watts
-------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha vsx 661(7)m1.0t(1)m1.5t(1)m200t deceased(2)m400a's(1)tfm24,ct-7,pt2400 doing sub duty,original amazings
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 02, 2008 12:57 am

Re: The Good the Bad and the ugly on original AL's

What amps and pre? Remember to check out the obvious (foam surrounds, listen for buzzing in the ribbons, etc ...) Also, the Originals were the hardest to drive of all the Amazings, dipping to under 2 ohms at certain frequencies which can kill most amps whem driving them hard. Do a quick run-trhough the posts in this section of the forum to see what Original owners have to say about them. Good luck and keep us posted.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Fri May 02, 2008 3:54 pm

They are a bear to drive that is for sure. I am still looking for a different amp. Although I might have a 7t coming soon ( I hope!!!) Driving it with my QSC PLX3602 it really sounds good! That amp has plenty of power and it is cleaner then you might think. I still want a sunfire 600x 2 to check them out with. I like the sound out of them. I am still messing with the placement of them Towing them in and out and by the wall and away from the wall all do get very different results.

I had to replace 2 of the woofers when I got mine a few weeks ago. Luckily there is a place that has the original woofers and they are $35 each. Can they hang? YES I think so! I think there are some that prefer the original over the plats and the other way around. It is personal taste. I don't think there is a wrong or right answer on this one.

I'm with OBI what amp and pre come with it? Or amps?
<<

Kahuna

TFM-45

Location: Area 51-Skunk Works Division - Space Age Materials Lab

Post Fri May 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Ernie, here is another option for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=015

Kahuna
"The only thing in this world that gives orders, is balls"

German engineering in the haus..........Jah!

I'm from the United States of KISS MY @$$

Handle every stressful situation like a dog: Piss on it and walk away..
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Fri May 02, 2008 4:35 pm

HEY how are you doing?

I saw that auction. They do look good but, I have a deal going with someone on this board. They have been gone through by a tech and everyting checked out.

I wonder what the reserve on them are?

Anyway I am giving the person on here a shot first but, ya never know. If the deal does not go through, I will throw a last min bid on the 9t's on the bay.

Right now, feeding them with the qsc adcom 565 pre sounds quite good. The QSC is 775 per or 1250 at 4 ohms 2 ohm stable @ 1800 watts. The dampening on the qsc is quite good also.
<<

sixstringer99

Post Fri May 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Wow, I'm getting addicted to this website. Yes, the originals and the Platinums are very very similar. My personal preference is for the Platinums by a nose. I have ugraded Platinum ribbons in mine but still have the original woofers. The speaker system sounds best with a very high current good quality amp. The best sound is a bit sensitive to placement and that can vary quite a bit on room acoustics. My very best sound came with the speakers being six feet from th back wall, about seven feet apart and toed in slightly (about 5 to 10 degrees). Once they are nailed in they really do sound amazing. I recently built my own acoustic wall treatments for the room and noticed an immediate improvement in overall sound quality. Good luck.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri May 02, 2008 5:47 pm

erniejade1 wrote:They are a bear to drive that is for sure.......I think there are some that prefer the original over the plats and the other way around. It is personal taste. I don't think there is a wrong or right answer on this one.

Ding, ding, ding!!! Survey says #1 answer! Come on down!!!

Personally, I have heard both properly amplified and not properly amplified. With most speakers there are attributes and deficiencies that make a sonic signature for that particular speaker. I like both the Originals and the Platinum's. Each have there own signature and attributes, and they both have there own unique set of deficiencies as well. To each his own.

Sixstringer99, I have a free tweak suggestion for you that you may want to entertain. The adjustable footers at the back of the speaker that gives you the tilt back or forth...you know what I'm talkin' about? Take those and adjust them to 1/2. Now, get a riser of some sort just for shits and giggles to raise the backplate another 3/4 of an inch to 1 and 1/4 of an inch. Now sit down in the sweet spot and let us know how you like it.

Please note: do NOT bring the speaker so far forward [at the top] that the speaker will fall down flat on it's face. Also, if you have kids in the equation I wouldn't attempt this....at least until they are off to grandma's house for the weekend [be sure to remove the risers before they return ;) ].
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Fri May 02, 2008 6:21 pm

Ding, ding, ding!!! Survey says #1 answer! Come on down!!!

Bob tell the audience what he has won~!

A free lifetime of looking for that "sound" We don't know what that "sound" is but we will spend a lifetime trying to find it! LOL too funny!
<<

sixstringer99

Post Fri May 02, 2008 6:32 pm

treitz3, yes, you are correct. I have tried that tweak with the back feet and it does make a difference. I have tried to get the speakers to stand as straight as I could without tipping them over. Just a note, in California it's not just the kids but the earthquakes as well. So, I put a hook in the subwoofer enclosure and tied a strong nylon cord between the speaker and an imovable object. That should do the trick.
<<

TNRabbit

R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post Fri May 02, 2008 6:39 pm

sixstringer99 wrote:treitz3, yes, you are correct. I have tried that tweak with the back feet and it does make a difference. I have tried to get the speakers to stand as straight as I could without tipping them over. Just a note, in California it's not just the kids but the earthquakes as well. So, I put a hook in the subwoofer enclosure and tied a strong nylon cord between the speaker and an imovable object. That should do the trick.

Points for ingenuity!! =D>
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri May 02, 2008 7:15 pm

I have Silvers but I'm guessing the same tweeks would apply. In the manuel it tells you how much "lean back" you should have. Hang a weight (plumbers bob) off the top and measure from the front to the bob. You should have 7" according to the manuel. I had more "lean back" than that and they improved when I adjusted them but I haven't straightend them up past that point. I will play with them this weekend and see what happens.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri May 02, 2008 7:35 pm

frankieD wrote:I have Silvers but I'm guessing the same tweeks would apply.

Yes sir.

It does depend on room acoustics [and whether or not you have an odd shaped listening room, cathedral ceiling, tray ceiling, what have you...] but the imaging, directionality and sound stage have been improved in all locations I have experienced so far. YMMV. Let us know how it works out for you. I'd be interested in your results.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Return to Carver Speakers