FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:50 am

Siver Crossover

<<

allanarch

Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:48 pm

Siver Crossover

The ribbon driven on one of my Amazing Siver speakers appeared to have gone out, a common problem. After investigation I discovered that the problem seems to be the crossover and not the ribbon driver. If I hook a sound source directly to the ribbon, I get sound. If I hook up a sound source to the speaker terminals, I get only the woofers, no ribbon.
How do I go about getting this repaired? I am not sure how to gain access to the crossover. Any help with these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allan
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:43 am

Have you checked the fuse?
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:31 am

On the back of the speaker you will find four big black screws, two of them are tucked between the edge of the ribbon and the back grill cloth the other two you should be able to find without any trouble. Remove all four and the front grill cloth comes off. On the front of the speaker UNDER the grill cloth you just took off are four more big black screws to be taken off. The back grill cloth now is off and you can find your crossover.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:38 am

You can unsolder the ribbon from the crossover and check it. Try hooking up the ribbon directly to your speaker leads. You could have a broken wire or bad solderjoint anywhere, so check it good. If it still doesn`t work give me a call.
<<

allanarch

Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:02 am

silver crossover

F1nut wrote:Have you checked the fuse?

Thank you for your response. I checked the fuse with a continuity checker, and it appears to be good.

Thanks again

Allan
<<

allanarch

Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:17 am

DaveS wrote:You can unsolder the ribbon from the crossover and check it. Try hooking up the ribbon directly to your speaker leads. You could have a broken wire or bad solderjoint anywhere, so check it good. If it still doesn`t work give me a call.

Thank you for your two responses. I will remove the grilles and see what I find. As for connecting the amp leads directly to the ribbon, I have essentially done that. At the bottom of the ribbon the soldered wire connections are just barely accessible, and I touched the amp leads to the solder points. I get sound that way, but only the woofers work from the regular speaker connections.

Thank you for your help.

Allan

Return to Carver Speakers