FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:44 am

Blown Ribbon on Platinums?

<<

division

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:55 pm

Blown Ribbon on Platinums?

I am having a curious problem with a pair of Platinums I just bought. When hooking up the speaker leads to the binding posts, I get no signal to the ribbons. When hooking up the leads directly to the circuit board, where the wiring is sautered to, I get no signal, UNLESS I hook the positive lead to the etched circuit path directly below the positive sautered portion of the ribbon circuit board. Once I do this, it sounds fine: no buzzing or distortion as far as I can hear. I thought my problem was the crossover, but I'm beginning to think there is something wrong in the ribbon, now.

What does this mean? Do I have a continuity break somewhere before this part of the circuit? Is the only solution to rebuild the ribbon? Is there anyway to patch it up?

An important note: there is a very small section of the aluminum conductor material that has flaked off or burned off on the right side of the ribbon. Its not complete all the way through, and I don't hear anything from this, but it may be the culprit. Any thoughts?
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:01 pm

Check across the flaked off part the circuit is probibly broken. If it is call me, I can fix it.
<<

division

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:09 am

Well, its not broken clear across. And it does make sound when I move the negative speaker lead down to the lower part of the circuit board right underneath the negative joint on the ribbon's board. So there is SOME continuity.

Is there any way to patch this break? Any way to test it more fully? Could a break in the crossover circuit be causing this problem further down in the chain?

Return to Carver Speakers