FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:00 am

New Amazing owner looking for some affirmation

<<

corkdust

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:33 pm

Re: New Amazing owner looking for some affirmation

I hauled mine 150 miles in an open pickup. I removed the bases and wrapped each speaker in a roll of bubble wrap, then used industrial plastic wrap to seal up the bubble wrap. I laid them flat in the bed on top of a couple of moving blankets. They made the trip just fine.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:58 pm

corkdust wrote:I hauled mine 150 miles in an open pickup. I removed the bases and wrapped each speaker in a roll of bubble wrap, then used industrial plastic wrap to seal up the bubble wrap. I laid them flat in the bed on top of a couple of moving blankets. They made the trip just fine.

I did mine exactly the same way for a 600 mile trip in an open pickup.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

docadillac

TFM-25

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:17 am

As usual I'm late to the party. I transported my last pair in a U-HAUL van. They were laid out flat on the floor bed on top of a thick blanket and then wrapped in a second blanket for a bit of insulation as it was January when I moved them. The van also had a power lift tailgate which made loading fairly easy.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:03 pm

Welcome, but you paid WAY too much.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,theif. Good deal, go get`em before he changes his mind.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

docadillac

TFM-25

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:22 pm

These are great speakers!!! They are not everyone's favorite but I am A fan. They work well with Carver amps producing 300+ watts per channel. The sound is well amazing and very addictive. Even if you have to rebuild the ribbons they are not easily equaled by speakers costing way more. Welcome to the forum sir and may you have many years of enjoyment with them.
<<

Aaron S

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:44 pm

DaveS wrote:Welcome, but you paid WAY too much...............NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,theif. Good deal, go get`em before he changes his mind.

Hey Dave!

I did go and pick them up on August 20th. The cool thing was it wasn't a 'he'; it was a she! :shock: This lady had owned them since 1990 and they had only been moved once.

I ended up stacking them in the Armada partially overlapped so the ribbons were totally protected. No issues whatsoever.

It's almost laughable how damn good these things sound for $400!!! I do not have a room ready for them yet, so I threw them in my great room with 20'+ tall ceilings the day after I got them back home.

Very intoxicating sound as they were out about 9.5' from the back wall. The speakers' inner sides were about 7' apart and I was seated about 9' away...power came from a QSC DCA 1622 w/ 500 wpc @ 4 ohms...I was amazed at the bass output from the dipole 12's since the listening space is a totally open space that has over 14000 cu. ft. of area. We had a few people over that night and let me say that having a few brews and listening to these speakers fill a large area with sound was a very enjoyable experience! They radiate nicely over a large area; unlike my Martin Logan CLS's that have a 'head-in-a-vise' sweetspot.

The one thing I noticed is that they do seem sound a little sweeter (clearer, more coherent) when standing. :-k This may have something to do with the tilt angle, which I read about in the owner's manual. I haven't yet had a chance to measure it.

All in all, I think they are worth the $400...just not totally sure where I'm going to put them yet... :D
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:06 pm

Glad to hear that you like them. One suggestion that you may want to try is to take the speaker and tilt it beyond what the adjustable "tilt level" footers can do. What I'm trying to say is basically point the ribbon/speaker straight toward your ears [using the tilt factor only] until you have achieved your sonic preference. This will change the sound in ways you have yet to discover. This also works with Martin Logan speakers.

Just make sure that when doing this, that the speaker has a weight or some preventative device or apparatus that prevents the speaker from falling down on its face. That would be bad. Very bad.

These speakers are also very sensitive to room conditions, size and extremely sensitive to setup. One thing you may want to acquire would be the sonic holography test setup CD which will be available for download on this forum shortly and something else that may help you to dial in these puppies would be the Sumiko setup. That can be found here... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6007

Enjoy your new toy! 8)
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

gunner64

Post Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:14 pm

Hello,
I'm new to this forum,but not new to Carver having owned several pieces over the years,and have loved every one of them.
I too could use a bit of affirmation on a recent purchase.I recently bought three Amazing silver w/ 90 prefix on serial#,in oak in almost perfect condition.(Yes 3)The foam surrounds are pristine and look like brand new.Ribbons work perfect(piano,horn,strings,ect.)with no distortion,rattles or buzzes.If I remember correct the later versions had better woofer surrounds and pleated ribbons(which these have)The reason for the missing fourth speaker is while the original owner had these in storage his moron son took one out behind his back and destroyed it by attempting to install the drivers in his car.The woodwork was then(Are you ready for this?) burned in a bonfire!I know,it makes me sick too.The remaining three speakers are almost perfect in every way so I 'd assume the destroyed one was equally as nice.what a shame.Anyway back to the purchase.Along with the 3 amazings came A TFM-45 power amp,and a CT-17 tuner/preamp w/remote.Everything works flawless and is near mint.the sound from these speakers is incredible!I paid $900 for the whole package,including all the speaker wire and interconnects.I think I did O.K. price wise,but hey, affirmation by people more knowlegable than me would be appreciated.
I usually listen to tube amps/preamps with Klipsch,And Until now I thought that was the only way to achieve the clarity ,soundstaging and realism in my music.The Carvers do that but with much more volume and less distortion than the tube amps.I still love my tube amps but wow,This Carver system is incredible!

Love the Forum!Peace,
G
Last edited by gunner64 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:40 pm

I would say you got a great price for a pair of speakers and got everything else as bonus!!!!!!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:37 pm

"The woodwork was then(Are you ready for this?) burned in a bonfire!"

TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Great story gunner64! and welcome to the forum. Maybe post this as a "New" thread under the Welcome mat. This is an old thread and will probably be missed by some. Thanks, and welcome again!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Welcome and great deal you got there. Enjoy the music.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

gunner64

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Hello and Thanks everyone for the affirmation.
I did post a similar post to the "welcome mat"
The Amazings are absolutely incredible!!!and in hindsight Worth the $900 or more just on their own merits!!!
Thanks Again!
Peace,Robert
Previous

Return to Carver Speakers