FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:25 am

Original Carver Amazings out West for sale

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:16 pm

Original Carver Amazings out West for sale

Need your opinion on this. Guy has a set of Carver Amazings out west(Canada) in perfect working order and has the original boxes. He wants 500. I live in New Brunswick on the east coast about 2000 miles away. No border hassles or GSt involved. Should I take a shot at having them shipped. Could insure for the full 500. I don't think I'm ever going to snag a second set for myself up here. Think this would be suicide. If they were a grand or more I wouldn't even consider it but at 500 bucks Canadian I'm wondering if I should take a shot.Art
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:53 pm

Re: Original Carver Amazings out West for sale

I'd do it. :-s
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:20 pm

Ditto!!!!
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

docadillac

TFM-25

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:10 pm

You can't loose at 500 bucks Art. I take a chance for that price.
<<

lawdog10231

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:58 am

Make sure he knocks them down and ships in original packing. And insure them for your investment. The insurance won't cost that much on $500. If he ships them attached to their stands and not in the original packing they will get really screwed up in the shipping process.
<<

lawdog10231

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:02 pm

If you decide against them, email me. I live near Seattle and would drive up and pick them up for that kind of price! I have a pair, but it would be nice ton have a second if just for the spare parts. :D :D
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:49 pm

Guy claims 300 for shipping. Sounds a little light to me although I'd love to get those things here for $800. So the stands should come off . I didn't know that. Plan to call the guy so is there anything else he could do to insure these things get here in one piece.My biggest fear is the ribbons. I had just the ribbons(three of them) shipped to me one time and they were trashed. So let's say they wreck the speakers and I insure for $800. Do they issue a check or would they have to come good for a replacement set. Also does that have to be handled by the guy who sent then to me.I take it they don't cut me a check for 800 and that's it. Art
<<

ferrari

TFM-35

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:40 pm

Get em as fast as you can. I have original spkr boxes w original packing. They have to be packed exactly one way or they will get corner damage. Have them shipped and go for it.
before I do hahahahah
ferrariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Remember that besides Bob Carvers tube amps earlier in his career,
The ALS Platinum Mark 4 speakers are the best thing he ever did. period period period period
Set up properly in a larger room w good amps, they sound better than most newer speakers at any price.
I have never heard vocals sound better.
Ferrari
As far as the ribbons getting damaged, they would have to get poked thru the box. But a sudden drop or shock will displace the magnets and they will rip the kapton membrane.....
keep the faith my friends :)
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:56 pm

The 3 ribbons I had shipped to me all have ripped capton from loosened and even broken magnets. I wonder if putting some additional foam or styrofom(can't think of how to spell that damn word) in the shipping boxes would help. Art
<<

Augie116

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:42 pm

Shipping those thngs across canada or anywhere that far is a big gamble i think.

I have a set and the boxes for them but even if well packed, the eneviable shaking will take it's toll i am sure.

Must be something out there in the eastern seaboard with all that population concentration????

Pp
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:06 pm

They would have to be packed like HELL to survive the trip...like foam wrapped then styrofoam then a separate box. Even then, they are heavier than hell. Personally, I'd never buy ANY Amazings shipped across country. I drove 1200 miles R/T to pick up my AL-IIIs.....

Just warnin' ya....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:25 pm

Art if you are going to ship them by truck have the guy put both of them on a pallet and have them strapped to the pallet laying down in the orignal boxes! This is the best way for them to be shipped! Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!

Return to Carver Speakers